I put this on the "red" board, but got no response

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
And maybe this is just me over reacting and there is really no concern with renewing my medical, but here goes anyway:

My 3rd class is due up in December, and I have a 6 year SI for Glaucoma (this was the first 2 years on the SI). I originally had to fill out all the forms, have all the eye exams performed, defer, and call every week until I recieved my coveted piece of paper.

Included with that was the letter I am to take to my AME, that basically states that he may office issue the next medical provided my condition has not changed. At my last quarterly visit, my Optho told me that my condition has not changed, all fields, pressures, optic nerve cupping, etc., was very stable.

My questions:

1.) I see my optho again the second week of August, is this too soon to have her start completing the forms, pulling records, etc. to prepare for my visit to the AME in December?

2.) Should or can I go before December to the AME to get the medical rolling?

2.) Must I use the same AME I did before? He really did nothing for me except take my stack of Georges and defer, I pretty much worked the thing thru the system and did my own searches on what forms to fill out, reports to send, etc. Dr Bruce and others here were a great help at that time. Also, he is not a pilot, and just doesn't understand.
frown.gif

3.) If I'm free to use another AME, my optho's partner in the practice is an AME, and is a pilot, and he says he'd be happy to do my next medical and help me out. On the flip side, I heard that it is not good to have your AME to closely coupled to your daily care and regular Docs.

I really REALLY don't want to have any downtime waiting for medical issues to be resolved and am willing to do WHAT EVER IT TAKES to make sure it goes through.

Opinions and advice?

Thanks,
Bill Jennings

Bill Jennings said:
My questions:

1.) I see my optho again the second week of August, is this too soon to have her start completing the forms, pulling records, etc. to prepare for my visit to the AME in December?
No. The worst penalty is that they shave one month off the next issue. I don't think they will.
Bill Jennings said:
2.) Should or can I go before December to the AME to get the medical rolling?
Well, you don't have to go to the AME per se. You need to get the documents to FAA certified, and then start bugging.
Bill Jennings said:
2.) Must I use the same AME I did before? He really did nothing for me except take my stack of Georges and defer, I pretty much worked the thing thru the system and did my own searches on what forms to fill out, reports to send, etc. Dr Bruce and others here were a great help at that time. Also, he is not a pilot, and just doesn't understand.
frown.gif
No.
Bill Jennings said:
3.) If I'm free to use another AME, my optho's partner in the practice is an AME, and is a pilot, and he says he'd be happy to do my next medical and help me out. On the flip side, I heard that it is not good to have your AME to closely coupled to your daily care and regular Docs.
I usually prefer them to be separate.
Bill Jennings said:
I really REALLY don't want to have any downtime waiting for medical issues to be resolved and am willing to do WHAT EVER IT TAKES to make sure it goes through. Opinions and advice?
Find an AME who will fax these documents to FAA OKC and get OKC Doc approval to reissue. Then appear for the medical and if all is OK, the ticket will be issued in the office. If you don't find that guy, well I'm not trolling and I have PLENTY of work to do, but I do, do these.
Bill Jennings said:
Thanks,
Bill Jennings
If you're in Atlanta try Stacey Vereen, a curmudgeonly but World Class AME. In New Jersey, Ian Blair Fries. Arizona, Gordon Ritter (in Prescott).

Last edited:
bbchien said:
Well, you don't have to go to the AME per se. You need to get the documents to FAA certified, and then start bugging.

*snip*

Find an AME who will fax these documents to FAA OKC and get OKC Doc approval to reissue. Then appear for the medical and if all is OK, the ticket will be issued in the office.

Ugh. That shows how little I know about the medical process. I thought the whole puropse of receiviing a 6 year SI was I wouldn't have to send stuff to OKC and do the dance for that 6 years. Ugh.

If you don't find that guy, well I'm not trolling and I have PLENTY of work to do, but I do, do these.

I'll try my local guys, and see what they want to do.

If you're in Atlanta try Stacey Vereen, a curmudgeonly but World Class AME.

I'm in Chattanooga, 2hrs away (car) from ATL.

Last edited:
Bill Jennings said:
Ugh. That shows how little I know about the medical process. I thought the whole puropse of receiviing a 6 year SI was I wouldn't have to send stuff to OKC and do the dance for that 6 years. Ugh.
The six year issuance means that the OKC MDs don't have to look at your file as long as you do everything on the list and the things are all OK. The lay persons (chart reviewers) can do that for them.

The docs are where the bottle neck is, of course.

gibbons said:
See Bill, you should have posted here first instead of on the red board. :D

Yeah, I don't have time to keep up with both, I think I'm a blue kind of guy and will stay here. ;)

bbchien said:
The six year issuance means that the OKC MDs don't have to look at your file as long as you do everything on the list and the things are all OK. The lay persons (chart reviewers) can do that for them.

The docs are where the bottle neck is, of course.

OK, I'm going to pull that letter/list this week and re-read it, man how time flies. So, in a nut shell:

1. Have Optho fill out forms, get copies of fields, pressures, etc., and then get them to AME.
  2. AME takes the lot and mails it off to OKC.
  3. OKC reviewers look it over and make the call, do they send some kind of notice to me, to the AME???
  4. Pre-medical as much as possible.
  5. Hit the real medical and get the office issue?
Thanks, Bruce, for helping us.

gibbons said:
Good deal. They said they didn't like you, but we do.
We do? Oh. Can someone send me an updated list of who we like? I can't find mine.

(I'm pretty sure Chip was on there somewhere but can't seem to remember why...) :dunno:

Brian Austin said:
We do? Oh. Can someone send me an updated list of who we like? I can't find mine.

(I'm pretty sure Chip was on there somewhere but can't seem to remember why...) :dunno:

We have to like Chip. After all, it was his idea :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back