I Phone

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
Hi fellow pilots,

Tomorrow I am going to purchase an I Phone for my job. There is a company about 4 miles from me, "Golden Belt Telephone Association" (Rush Center, Ks.).

GBTA used to be part of Kansas Cellular, then Alltel, and now I think they are hooked up with Verizon.

In Hays, Ks. there is a Verizon dealer. I want to use Verizon.

Is there any advantage of driving to Hays, Ks. for an I Phone or is every one the same?

Thanks,

Terry

I checked their web site and it looks like they use Sprint towers.

So, guess I will go to Hays tomorrow.

Terry

Or wait about 1.5 months for the new version to drop, and save on old tech, or get the latest.

Who's considering the upgrade to the larger physical size.

From the descriptions in the media, Apple seems to have Samsung Note envy.

Having experienced almost every model in the iPhone family, I don't see a point in upgrading based on physical size alone. iOS is seriously long in the tooth functionally, and the last round with the visual update just made things suck a bit more. Hopefully they are holding back a new home screen, and some other serious updates from the beta.

I got a IPhone 5s. So far so good because it works with my laptop.

I don't think I will upgrade to the new IPhone just because it has a bigger screen.

I am starting to like my IPhone.

Terry

Dropped my iphone 5 (non S) about a month ago and cracked the screen. Just using the phone as is - being cheap and not wanting to pay $120 to replace the screen. Can't wait for the 4.7" display to come available in Sept. The 5.5" is a touch big for me.

If you need the iPhone for work get it. If not just get an iPad mini and it can double as a cockpit aid.

My deckhand has the Note, I almost got it but decided on the S-4. I've carried his, and it works out.

Having experienced almost every model in the iPhone family, I don't see a point in upgrading based on physical size alone. iOS is seriously long in the tooth functionally, and the last round with the visual update just made things suck a bit more. Hopefully they are holding back a new home screen, and some other serious updates from the beta.

You're under 45 aren't you?:lol:

You're under 45 aren't you?:lol:

A smidge, though now that I re-read what you quoted, I probably could have been a little clearer. I have been in the interface design field a long time doing pc apps, phone apps, web, embedded but not wearables (yet). So, I pretty much have lived through every OS' quirks and oddities and tried to design around it.

On the up side, I think in the next couple years, devices will really be useful in the moment, and not something that constantly needs attention and management. Hence my distaste for iOS which really does nothing to prioritize information relevant to you. Outside of the people falling in love with their OS, the movie Her did a good job of painting a world that contains smart technology. Transitioning to that period, with Google advertising the snot out of you between now and then, is bound to be painful until other business models can displace it.

(Safe travels!)

Dropped my iphone 5 (non S) about a month ago and cracked the screen. Just using the phone as is - being cheap and not wanting to pay $120 to replace the screen. Can't wait for the 4.7" display to come available in Sept. The 5.5" is a touch big for me.

There's a guy near Preston-Forest who fixes the screens pretty economically; you'll want to fix it in any event, as the phone will still have value.

If you don't want to fix it, PM me after you get your new phone, maybe I'll buy yours...

Or grab a kit from Amazon and DIY for $30 or so. Takes about an hour the first time. Just watch the cable that feeds over the top to make sure it doesn't get pinched. If you don't, you get to buy another replacement screen.:)

A smidge, though now that I re-read what you quoted, I probably could have been a little clearer. I have been in the interface design field a long time doing pc apps, phone apps, web, embedded but not wearables (yet). So, I pretty much have lived through every OS' quirks and oddities and tried to design around it.

On the up side, I think in the next couple years, devices will really be useful in the moment, and not something that constantly needs attention and management. Hence my distaste for iOS which really does nothing to prioritize information relevant to you. Outside of the people falling in love with their OS, the movie Her did a good job of painting a world that contains smart technology. Transitioning to that period, with Google advertising the snot out of you between now and then, is bound to be painful until other business models can displace it.

(Safe travels!)

I was addressing screen size, when you get to 'readers' age, screen size matters.;)

I have had my IPhone for a week and love it.

I use a 11" laptop with a touch screen. When I have my work order filled out, I use the "wifi" hotspot and send the work order to the office.

Works great. Wish they would fix the IPhone where I could use the wifi and the phone at the same time though.

Anyway, an old Android loyal has gone over to the "Dark Side." :yesnod:

Terry

Back