I Pad question ?

Speedy

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Speedy
Ready to buy an I-Pad. Im mostly going to use it for flight, weather and that sort of stuff. Have a friend that has one with Foreflight so Im leaning that way.

Can a 16gb do the job or do I want the 32 or 64. Do I need 3g - 4g or Wifi ?

My cell phone is with ATT.

Thanks

If you are only going to use it for ForeFlight, you might get by on 16 GB. I would recommend at least 32 GB, though, as I have found the iPad nice for all kinds of stuff and it is good to have the headroom on memory.

I wouldn't go less than 32GB. If you go WiFi only you will need an external GPS unit for moving map functionality. Once you start using the iPad you'll find lots of other things you can do. It's nice to have cellular data access sometimes so you can look things up.

I also highly recommend getting the 3g or 4g model so you will have the built in GPS. The external GPS' are just an extra agrevation having to keep them charged up, linking them to the iPad and finding a place for it during flight. If you are planning to get an ADS-B receiver too, then that is a different story since GPS will also be in the ADS-B receiver.

I also recommend at least 32GB. Wifi or 3G is a choice. I use the Bad Elf GPS as I found the GPS on my iPhone wasn't accurate enough on landings with Cloud Ahoy but I have no clue on the internal GPS on the iPad since mine is wifi only.

Cheers

Mine is for sale in the classifieds. I'm switching my cell phone provider (leaving att) and as a result selling my 32gb, AT&T 3G iPad 2.

Pm me if you're interested. ( I also agree, 32gb is the way to go.)

Can a 16gb do the job
You have to decide how and what you are going to use it for, then memory decision will be obvious. I have the 16 GB version and I am not complaining, still 6 GB of empty space, I use it for aviation apps, maps (not only aviation related), some very selective apps, but from day 1 I did not intend to use it for storage of massive amounts of photos, music, etc.

If you're going to use it with Foreflight, you'll want at least 32gb. In addition, unless you want to buy an external GPS and carry it around with you, too, you'll want the 3g/4g version with the built-in GPS. You do not have to activate the cellular service to get that functionality, but the WiFi-only version has no internal GPS.

In addition, if you have the right cell phone system, you can make your cell phone a WiFi hotspot for your iPad to communicate with the Internet where there is no other WiFi, and that will save you one cellular subscription for that capability. Personally, after 20 months of iPad/Foreflight use, I haven't found the lack of cellular connectivity for my iPad to be an issue -- every airport seems to have WiFi these days.

Another vote for 32GB. If you're nutty and have the entire U.S., all charts, selected... you need more than 16 GB to hold the current charts and the updated charts until Foreflight deletes the old ones on cycle change-over day.

But... That said, most folks don't need to have the entire U.S. loaded all the time. It's manageable inside the App.

Ready to buy an I-Pad. Im mostly going to use it for flight, weather and that sort of stuff. Have a friend that has one with Foreflight so Im leaning that way.

Thanks

I have 32 and wish I had 64. 32 is enough For most, but I've been loading mine up.

I should have mentioned, I went 64. But 32 would be a minimum for what I'm doing with mine. So I went cheap on the reply.

Here's a screenshot of how mine breaks down right now, in-between Foreflight update cycles.

ygy4y2a2.jpg

I've been accused of overkill before, but my philosophy is to always get the best possible system available at the time of purchase. Most memory, storage and capabilities.

You may think you've spent too much, but that is much more preferable to wishing you had spent a few dollars more to get a system that you realize you need later.

how do you get the ipad 2 to stay on continously while flying.
Thanks
Lynn

You probably have Auto-Lock turned on. See screenshot from the Settings area of mine.

Mine is set to 15 minutes and I press the top right power button to lock it and blank the screen sooner most of the time except when flying. Flying, I do something within 15 minutes. ;)

Some applications can override that setting when open, I believe.

gyza3ary.jpg

By the way, setting it to "Never" will take care of it. But it'll crush the battery when you're not flying.

uzevazet.jpg

how do you get the ipad 2 to stay on continously while flying.
Thanks
Lynn

There is a setting in firefight under settings "allow device to sleep" set that to "No" and the screen will stay on when foreflight is open, otherwise it will behave like it normally does and go to sleep at your current timeout.
6emysa2e.jpg

Thanks

I agree that 32GB is recommended, but 16GB can *absolutely* do the job, especially if you're not flying all around the country. You pick the states' data you want to download individually, and I have a chunk of the mid-Atlantic and southeastern states enabled on mine using only 2-3 GB I think (VFR + IFR low enroute, approach plates, facility directory). There will still be room for plenty of apps, songs, and a few movies.

I would consider going with 32GB next time, but my 16GB, 4G (AT&T) iPad 3 has been more than sufficient.

Back