I Pad Problem

Flybynite

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Flybynite
Hey guys I have a I pad yoke mount running fore flight. The last two flights the cockpit got up to 80 degrees and the I pad overheats and shuts down. How do you guys keep an I pad cool?

Hey guys I have a I pad yoke mount running fore flight. The last two flights the cockpit got up to 80 degrees and the I pad overheats and shuts down. How do you guys keep an I pad cool?

Is it in a case or skin? They can cause heat retention.
If not, take it back. I've used my IPad for three years now for very long trips, in all weather and temps, and it has never overheated.

Its iPad, not 'I pad'.

Also, it needs to be in the shade. Direct sunlight will heat soak the screen and overheat it. If the yoke mount has it in direct sunlight the pull it off and keep in on your lap or knee. There are leg mount straps available..

Definitely keep it out of direct sunlight. The white model is better than the black (I've had both), but I've got plenty of summer hours with the black model and they key is keeping it out of direct sunlight.

Its iPad, not 'I pad'.

Also, it needs to be in the shade. Direct sunlight will heat soak the screen and overheat it. If the yoke mount has it in direct sunlight the pull it off and keep in on your lap or knee. There are leg mount straps available..

...and ForeFlight not fore flight:D

I just purchased the AppStrap kneeboard and love it.

As Alan and Captain said, it's the direct sunlight that's the problem. You must keep it shaded. My company make this mount for the iPad mini. It's called the iPro Navigator. The clipboard swings up on top to act as a glare shield. The clipboard also slides completely off in case you want to stow it in your flight bag.

ipro-navigator-yoke-mount.gif

ipad-yoke-mount-200c.jpg

Is it in a case or skin? They can cause heat retention.
If not, take it back. I've used my IPad for three years now for very long trips, in all weather and temps, and it has never overheated.

If you've had it (the same one) for three years, like I have, then it's likely a first generation model and ours don't have nearly the overheating problliked hat I've seen reported in the later models, especially the 3...IIRC.

Back