I no longer own the ugliest plane on any field

Keith Lane

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Keith Lane
In fact, I no longer own a plane at all.....:sad:

After 16 years and 11 months of ownership I caved in to reality and sold it to someone with the money and desire to put the bucks into it to make it a nice plane. I sold it for only a thousand dollars less than I paid in April of 1996, and the single most expensive thing I ever did to it except for annuals and a rewire of the panel 13 years ago (less that $2k, but more than 5 months) was to put an alternator on it. It never stranded me, and I never had an annual go more that $1,000.
Close to $65/hour in gas, and quite a haul to the airport where it was tied out (for free) and pressures from home conspired to end it. It was great while it lasted, and I'm proud to have been an owner, but it;s time to find a new hobby. I used to make my living as a Porsche mechanic, and owned a couple of Datsun Z's (240's), so after the dust settles and I clear out a place in the garage, I might look for a four wheeled project.
I didn't sell my ticket, and I plan to keep my medical. I have friends who still own, and they all support my decision and have offered rides, and for that I'm grateful.
Now to put two great kids through college..:yikes:

How do you feel? Also what type of plane?

Definitely NOT one of the two happiest days of my life.
Being an aircraft owner becomes part of who you are, I think. It's an even smaller subset of the population than that of pilot.
The harsh reality is, I probably had no business owning one at all. I'm a good mechanic/technician, and given the time and resources I could competently build, but my heart is not in it.
I believe that someday, health permitting (it's likely to be years) I'd like to buy an experimental that I could maintain myself. I know plenty of people that couild do the "annual" on one. I really enjoy turning wrenches and get perverse satisfaction in doing mechanical work "just right". Race car mechanicing did that to me, and instrumenting trains for a living reinforced it.

Who knows what lies in the future. Right now I'm trying to remain employed. :yes:

(it was a 1971 C-172-L that was painted exactly like Harley's)

Definitely NOT one of the two happiest days of my life.
Being an aircraft owner becomes part of who you are, I think. It's an even smaller subset of the population than that of pilot.
The harsh reality is, I probably had no business owning one at all. I'm a good mechanic/technician, and given the time and resources I could competently build, but my heart is not in it.
I believe that someday, health permitting (it's likely to be years) I'd like to buy an experimental that I could maintain myself. I know plenty of people that couild do the "annual" on one. I really enjoy turning wrenches and get perverse satisfaction in doing mechanical work "just right". Race car mechanicing did that to me, and instrumenting trains for a living reinforced it.

Who knows what lies in the future. Right now I'm trying to remain employed. :yes:

(it was a 1971 C-172-L that was painted exactly like Harley's)

I hear ya. I asked because to me plane ownership is a dream or a goal. and I've imagined that selling the plane would be like giving up on the dream. Not trying to rub it in because I think its pretty clear you made the right decision and an informed decision. I recall when I sold my first sail boat I was thinking to myself, "ok what do I do now"? Since that time I've learned to treat it like anyother asset.

I hear ya. I asked because to me plane ownership is a dream or a goal. and I've imagined that selling the plane would be like giving up on the dream. Not trying to rub it in because I think its pretty clear you made the right decision and an informed decision. I recall when I sold my first sail boat I was thinking to myself, "ok what do I do now"? Since that time I've learned to treat it like anyother asset.

I have had the bank check in my possession for a week and have not figured out what to do with it. It will NOT go into the general fund. I have always had a "Black Fund" known only to myself, in cash, for emergencies (aviation ones) which fortunately I never really used. It will remain "black" and be used carefully to advance my next adventure, whatever that may be. I thought about a kit car, but yikes! the decent ones started at $20K, without engine or suspension. Ain't happenin'. I thought about an early 70's Porsche 911, but then I know too much about them to realistically believe I'd enjoy that. The 240Z's are rock solid and fun. I rode dirt bikes and street bikes, but the roads around metro Atlanta are a real deadly place for that. (be safer in a Cirrus :yes:)...
Maybe a British sporty car just to brush up on my electrical skills....

As for an informed decision. It was a long time coming. I used to lay awake at night trying to decide what to do, literally. Now, I lay awake for other, seemingly more important reasons. :dunno:
If you have the opportunity to own, by all means go for it. The pride one gets from being in that community is tremendous, even though as I have stated, my plane was about the ugliest on any field. It was mine, I owed nothing on it, and if I wanted to fly it, I did. I made a few trips to the Gulf coast in it, cutting the travel time from 5-6 hours each way to about 2 each way. That was the perfect mission for that plane. Insurance was $600/year (no, I did not have $2M smooth coverage), and I befriended my mechanic, never hassled him because my plane had no "mission critical" deeds, and I paid him in $100 bills.

Sorry to hear that you sold a plane that you didn't want to sell. I think that's the difference between the sale date being one of the two happiest days - it's happy if you wanted to sell it, unhappy if you chose to sell it (or didn't choose to sell it), if that subtle difference makes sense.

I sold the Aztec after 4 years and close to 1,000 hours of flight time in it, but was ready to sell it and was rather frustrated with how long it took to sell. I sold it for $500 less than I paid for it (but included delivery in that price). So, a similar situation, other than being ready to sell it. Even with that, I still did shed a tear when I pulled the mixtures back to idle for the last time. Truly it was the end of an era.

Then I got back home and hopped in the 310 (which isn't mine, but I'm the only one who flies), and I felt better pretty quickly. When we flew it up to Newfoundland for vacation last month, I thought about the things I didn't miss from the Aztec - things like leaky doors and a poorly working heater, not to mention the 25 kts less airspeed the Aztec had, poorer visibility, and a worse panel. Maybe it won't be the same with the planes you start flying next, but maybe it will. Either way, keep flying. :)

Keith, I'm a few decades ahead of you and have learned that "never say never" applies to many things other than running for elected office. So if you find a perfect airplane deal when the time and circumstances are favorable, don't think it will come as a big surprise to see you back. And we'll leave the light on for you.

Well, there are different ways of looking at the world.
One day when the kids were approaching their teens the wife threw a mini fit over having to write a check for the airplane mechanic.
"That plane has to go!"
This was at breakfast as I was putting on my boots to go put in another 14 hour day. I took my boots off and went to the living room.
"You will be late for work?"
"I'm not going to work. I work 14 hours a day so I can have an airplane. If I can't have an airplane then I am not working 14 hours a day."
Silence followed. A few minutes later she put an envelope on my lap.
"Mail the check to the mechanic on your way to work."
And the kids still got to go to college - physician and engineer - though they had to help pay for it.

Join a club. Buy into a partnership. Start working part time for an FBO. Start a weekend business where the kids HAVE to help work it if they intend to go to college.
(for instance with your background buying either bikes or Porsche's that have problems, spiff em up, and roll em over)
Or become another wannabe who spends the rest of his life talking wistfully about the time he took flying lesson, etc.

I love a fellow pilot/owner but I'm not willing to give you a mulligan on this.

Keith, I'm a few decades ahead of you and have learned that "never say never" applies to many things other than running for elected office. So if you find a perfect airplane deal when the time and circumstances are favorable, don't think it will come as a big surprise to see you back. And we'll leave the light on for you.

Thanks Wayne.
I'm not really leaving the front porch here... Just not going to own for a (perhaps long) while. There are a LOT of changes about to happen in my professional life. Much uncertainty yada yada and so forth. I waited until I was 40 to learn to fly, and I'm patient to a fault. I'll still fly and enjoy the company of the good people that also enjoy all things aviation.

Since we're talking about old 2-seaters, can power steering be added to my 1988 Carrera?

Thanks Wayne.
I'm not really leaving the front porch here... Just not going to own for a (perhaps long) while. There are a LOT of changes about to happen in my professional life. Much uncertainty yada yada and so forth. I waited until I was 40 to learn to fly, and I'm patient to a fault. I'll still fly and enjoy the company of the good people that also enjoy all things aviation.

Keith, I hear you and sympathize. My deal has always been "if I'm not flying it enough to stay proficient and enough to make use of it, it's time to let it go". I'm close to that point. Money is part of it, the other is that it's downright inconvenient to fly it these days (unlike Cincinnati or San Antonio where it was 15-20 minutes to the airport, it's 45 minutes on a good day here - and over an hour on a bad day). Add it the ATC and security factors and it's just darn inconvenient to the point I don't fly much. Money-wise, there's lingering job security questions with the knowledge that taking another job is likely to result in less free time rather than more.

Feh.

Since we're talking about old 2-seaters, can power steering be added to my 1988 Carrera?

Wayne, I did not know the answer to your question so I called a buddy who owns a shop here that specializes in Porsches. His opinion is that if it could be done, it would be on the order of 5 to 10 thousand dollars at least.

Thanks, I kinda figured if it could be done I would have read about it somewhere.

Wayne, I did not know the answer to your question so I called a buddy who owns a shop here that specializes in Porsches. His opinion is that if it could be done, it would be on the order of 5 to 10 thousand dollars at least.

Money-wise, there's lingering job security questions with the knowledge that taking another job is likely to result in less free time rather than more.

Feh.

As far as job security, until 3 years ago, that was never, ever on the radar. We were such a niche operation, we were constantly swamped with work, and shorthanded. Then in 2010 we were bought/sold to a fairly large German company that specializes in pushing paper and they wanted into the US railroad market. We don't push paper, we do actual work, collecting field data, running the models and looking for solutions. It has been a marriage made in Hell.
The Germans have show a certain willingness if not pleasure in shooting hostages. They have eliminated our marketing guys, and as the work dwindles tere is reason to downsize. The railroad industry, for all it's size is still a pretty small community, is aware of our dilemma. We have lost good people to the railroads we work for, and the Geermans just eliminated some jobs for unknown reasons. To put it plainly, we are all scared. I'd leave too, but at this point in life, I need to stay local to Atlanta as both my wife's parents and my parents are local and being in their 80's need our help and support. Kind of a fix, I'd say.
Free time? If I get any, I'm scared that I will be terminated because I'm "not billable enough". Best that I stay busy travelling with what project work I can get right now.

I feel for you, man. I hope it all works out.

Reminds me of a recent commentary put out by "The Onion" (a satirical newspaper) ... pretty darn funny but also very sadly true for those working hard to support a passion, like flying.

Find The Thing You're Most Passionate About, Then Do It On Nights And Weekends For The Rest Of Your Life

Commentary • Opinion • ISSUE 49•12 • Mar 20, 2013
By David Ferguson

I have always been a big proponent of following your heart and doing exactly what you want to do. It sounds so simple, right? But there are people who spend years—decades, even—trying to find a true sense of purpose for themselves. My advice? Just find the thing you enjoy doing more than anything else, your one true passion, and do it for the rest of your life on nights and weekends when you’re exhausted and cranky and just want to go to bed.

Full article: http://www.theonion.com/articles/find-the-thing-youre-most-passionate-about-then-do,31742/

As far as job security, until 3 years ago, that was never, ever on the radar. We were such a niche operation, we were constantly swamped with work, and shorthanded. Then in 2010 we were bought/sold to a fairly large German company that specializes in pushing paper and they wanted into the US railroad market. We don't push paper, we do actual work, collecting field data, running the models and looking for solutions. It has been a marriage made in Hell.
The Germans have show a certain willingness if not pleasure in shooting hostages. They have eliminated our marketing guys, and as the work dwindles tere is reason to downsize. The railroad industry, for all it's size is still a pretty small community, is aware of our dilemma. We have lost good people to the railroads we work for, and the Geermans just eliminated some jobs for unknown reasons. To put it plainly, we are all scared. I'd leave too, but at this point in life, I need to stay local to Atlanta as both my wife's parents and my parents are local and being in their 80's need our help and support. Kind of a fix, I'd say.
Free time? If I get any, I'm scared that I will be terminated because I'm "not billable enough". Best that I stay busy travelling with what project work I can get right now.

Hello Keith,

I went through a similar transition with boating after decades of being a avid boater. I could never have imagined it, but I lost interest in it. All I can tell you is that I never really missed it, and neither will you miss flying based on what I have read. It happens... go with it; and as others have said, there are other planes to own should you change your mind.

However, I have a solution to all of your other problems! Start a business. First of all, it ill give your mind something to think about. Second, it will remove that fear you speak of (not to say it won't be scary) because you will be able to see the future coming and adapt, rather than be a victim of someone else's future. As we age, the process of being an employee becomes unherently scary. Who knows, without the fear your love of flying (assuming you ever had it) may return.

Hello Keith,

I went through a similar transition with boating after decades of being a avid boater. I could never have imagined it, but I lost interest in it. All I can tell you is that I never really missed it, and neither will you miss flying based on what I have read. It happens... go with it; and as others have said, there are other planes to own should you change your mind.

However, I have a solution to all of your other problems! Start a business. First of all, it ill give your mind something to think about. Second, it will remove that fear you speak of (not to say it won't be scary) because you will be able to see the future coming and adapt, rather than be a victim of someone else's future. As we age, the process of being an employee becomes unherently scary. Who knows, without the fear your love of flying (assuming you ever had it) may return.

Thanks... I still love flying, and so many of my pilot friends have asked me to go with them I will probably get more time that I have in the past couple of years. It's just that ownership, for me at this time has lost it's luster. I love tinkering with mechanical stuff, and it's time my 12 year old son started getting a little grease under his nails as well. As far as my job goes.... Well could that be hoofbeats I hear over the horizon... Mayhaps it's the cavalry? :dunno: Stay tuned.

Back