I no longer have a 'small plane'

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Went out to the airport yesterday. Our runway has been under construction for widening so I have not had a chance to fly my plane is a couple of weeks. So I thought I would at least visit, wash it and wax it. That is when I realized I no longer have a small plane.

3 hours of waxing and I am still not done!!!

Geesh that thing is big! I needed to get home so I took off and finished my last erand which was to wash and wax the BMW M-Roadster. That took me less time than it did to wax just one wing of the Warrior. Well maybe today I will be able to finish.

Man that's a rude awakening, isn't it?! haha..

When I was working with the cropdusters, when we would wash and wax the planes a couple of times a summer, someone finally did some math and figured out that we were washing/waxing the same surface area as about 6 medium sized cars. Not sure how they came up with the number, but it seemed pretty accurate to me!

-Chris

smigaldi said:
Geesh that thing is big! I needed to get home so I took off and finished my last erand which was to wash and wax the BMW M-Roadster. That took me less time than it did to wax just one wing of the Warrior. Well maybe today I will be able to finish.

The problem with planes are all the awkward angles and positions that you have to deal with...like under the wings, the tail, and reaching across the wing surface area to get the middle. Once you get it clean, keep it clean. Do it by sections on a regular basis so you don't have to do the entire thing all at once.

If you want real fun though, do a King Air 90 sometime. It's about 3 square miles of aluminum surface when doing it by hand and takes a full long day if done properly. I use to fund part of my flying by cleaning planes and had a guy that owned a KA90 that would to pay double because I was the only one he ever found who would do the out of reach surfaces like the top of the cabin and tail. He didn't even raise an eyebrow when I made him park it on the grass because it was a long way down from up there. He was a funny guy though. He'd put the regular rate $$ in my hand and say "here's the hazard pay" then put the other half in my hand and say "here's the slicker than snot pay."

smigaldi said:
Went out to the airport yesterday. Our runway has been under construction for widening so I have not had a chance to fly my plane is a couple of weeks. So I thought I would at least visit, wash it and wax it. That is when I realized I no longer have a small plane.

3 hours of waxing and I am still not done!!!

I have a big deck! http://www.metacafe.com/watch/168516/biggest_deck/

Back