I never got a straight answer (maybe there isnt one)

Looking at a newer 172 POH, it shows a range of fuel burn of about 6.1 to 11.1 gph, depending on how fast or slow one desires to compromise. So, both the 8 and 10 gph numbers are withing the range.

10gph is for 75% power and the 180hp conversions that I'm aware of.

Of course you can run at reduced power, but 8gph is more applicable to the 160hp engines.

I run my conversion 180 O-360-A3A at 2300-2400rpm cruise flight and the FS450 fuel flow averages my fuel burn at 8.2 gph. which usually matches my fuel consumption to within .5 gallons (fuel truck meter vs the FS450) I do all of my flightplanning for 10gph, and generally don't fly more than 3 hours at a clip for various mechanical and biological reasons.

I believe I know what I am talking about here.

I run my conversion 180 O-360-A3A at 2300-2400rpm cruise flight and the FS450 fuel flow averages my fuel burn at 8.2 gph. which usually matches my fuel consumption to within .5 gallons (fuel truck meter vs the FS450) I do all of my flightplanning for 10gph, and generally don't fly more than 3 hours at a clip for various mechanical and biological reasons.

I believe I know what I am talking about here.

I believe you missed the part about 75% power.

You aren't the only one that operates a 180hp 172.

What's more important? Carrying people or paying for avgas? If you want to take your family of 4 for local sightseeing trips, get the Cherokee. If you want to take them travelling, get a 182 and have them pitch in for gas.

Back