I Need Your Help

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
I'm sorry that work and life have gotten in the way and I haven't posted here in a LONG time. I continue to grow my aviation connections on POA, Facebook, and even real life (at the airport). I have been happy to host many of you into my wonderful town and planes and take you up on flights.... and of course vice versa!

I was shocked on Monday to hear (without reason or warning) that I lost my job. Though it was a "lay off" and I got a small amount of severance, I need to find a new job right away.

In the San Francisco Bay Area, there is a lot of competition for what I do.... so I thought I would ask here first....

If any of you pilots know of any startups, CEOs, or other companies looking for an Executive Assistant or Office Manager (with salary above $60,000) please let me know.

13901473813_956ceff777_c.jpg

PS - thanks in advance to those of you who have privately messaged me already on Facebook. I was shocked that I received so many leads / replies.

Kimberly
Private Pilot ASEL

Dang that sucks. A layoff without warning is less than ethical, but it's common.

We're under attack from OMB, so there is no hiring here going on at all.

Will you be at the USCG air safety event in Alameda this weekend?

Unfortunately, this weekend, I have already signed up as a volunteer for another aviation event on Saturday (actually, I have three aviation things to do on Saturday). Sunday is Easter and Sat night / Sunday I will be with family.

What event are you talking about / can you send me more info?

What event are you talking about / can you send me more info?

I'll be there with CAP SQ10 (Palo Alto).

USCG Auxiliary Air Safety Workshop
Saturday, April 19, 2014 (0900-1600)
Classroom: Gresham Hall
Coast Guard Island, Alameda

It's a USCG activity, not CAP. So, it's on my dime….

I'll be there with CAP SQ10 (Palo Alto).

USCG Auxiliary Air Safety Workshop
Saturday, April 19, 2014 (0900-1600)
Classroom: Gresham Hall
Coast Guard Island, Alameda

It's a USCG activity, not CAP. So, it's on my dime….

I'll send you a PM about this.

Dang that sucks. A layoff without warning is less than ethical, but it's common.

Hmmmm. That is an interesting POV. I've taught biz ethics for several years, and this has never come up once.

Hmmmm. That is an interesting POV. I've taught biz ethics for several years, and this has never come up once.

That would be a cultural problem.

Lying by omission is still lying. And that's not ethical if it affects another negatively.

That would be a cultural problem.

Lying by omission is still lying. And that's not ethical if it affects another negatively.

Well, I don't discuss personnel matters with staff. Exec Asst/Ofc mgr work isn't a strategic position. I guess there could be some office mgmt with large direct reports that would need to rank their empl, but there's no way I would give advance notice to staff about layoffs.

Guess I really am a liar. meh. I won't belabor it in this thread anymore, sorry.

Sorry ,never good to get short notice. Hang in there.

Can't help, other than to say, "That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that, and I wish you the best."

Sorry about the sudden bad news. I'm sure that something better will come up. I've found myself in the same boat.

I got an email at 0845 that there would be a conference call at 0900. They told us on the call that our airline would shut down immediately. We had crews scattered across the world. The concern for our managers was that every plane was in a stateside location. While we knew the airline wasn't doing well, I didn't think that we'd get no notice.

The last regional airline that I worked had a similar demise. I was flying a full load out of Boston. Operations called and told us to divert back to Boston. We found out on the ground that the airline was shutting down. They then asked us to ferry the plane to Manchester, NH. We did it only because our cars were parked there.

First, Kimberly, sorry about your situation, it sucks! :mad2:
As an employer, I very seldom if ever give layoff or termination notices, I do make sure that all vacation earned is paid and normally give two weeks pay as severance, exceptions are firing for cause, theft etc. All industries are different and many parts of the country have different laws and ways of handling employment terminations. I will let people work a notice, where most car dealerships want you out as soon as you mention leaving. ;) Salespeople generally leave immediately, get a box and hit the door, or bring a box and sneak out right after they get paid. :rolleyes: I hate laying people off, when we went through downsizing in 2007-08, I sat down with every employee and explained what we were doing and gave a letter or recommendation to the ones that wanted it.

Well, I don't discuss personnel matters with staff. Exec Asst/Ofc mgr work isn't a strategic position. I guess there could be some office mgmt with large direct reports that would need to rank their empl, but there's no way I would give advance notice to staff about layoffs.

Guess I really am a liar. meh. I won't belabor it in this thread anymore, sorry.

I have never given my employers any advance notice of my leaving either. I usually pick an inopportune time for them.

The last regional airline that I worked had a similar demise. I was flying a full load out of Boston. Operations called and told us to divert back to Boston. We found out on the ground that the airline was shutting down. They then asked us to ferry the plane to Manchester, NH. We did it only because our cars were parked there.

I think if my company did something like that to me, I'd leave the plane where it was and fly/drive myself back on my own dime, just to spite them and stick them with the hassle and cost of getting the plane back themselves.

I guess I hold a grudge.

I think if my company did something like that to me, I'd leave the plane where it was and fly/drive myself back on my own dime, just to spite them and stick them with the hassle and cost of getting the plane back themselves.

I guess I hold a grudge.

That sort of sounds like kicking a corpse. If the company went bankrupt and ceased operations, you wouldn't be doing anything to the company, just to the creditors.

Kimberly, I hope you end up with a better job than the one you had!

I have never given my employers any advance notice of my leaving either. I usually pick an inopportune time for them.

Sounds like a great way to build your reputation.

That sort of sounds like kicking a corpse. If the company went bankrupt and ceased operations, you wouldn't be doing anything to the company, just to the creditors.

When your employer goes bankrupt, you become a creditor. Unless they pay you cash up front, no more work--including repositioning planes. Of course if I had to get back to my car, such as the case in this story, I'd probably do it too.

Good luck Kimberly! Hopefully the pilot community here is connected enough to help you find something decent.

Well, at least the discussion is keeping this at the top of the thread list.

I think most people take this stuff too personally. I've been laid off, after work, I went to the bowling league with my new ex-boss. He felt kind of nervous and on edge. I said 'Floyd - it's business. We have known each other for 5 years, mostly all good. I will have another job in a week or two, and the company will go on without me, relax, have a beer.'

It wasn't my job, it was the employers job, I just filled the position for a while. Business happens, employers hired you, they can let you go, that's just the way things are. I don't like letting people go, but it's that or eventually BK, and then - pretty much everyone goes. Every tree needs trimming, even the most healthy trees in the world need trimming sometimes.

Keep your head up, be nice, don't burn your bridges, even if the company disses you. I had the pleasure of being re-hired by one company that let me go after they were merged. Old home week, lol.

Kimberly, I am sorry to hear about this. Layoffs, Reduction in force, or(as MY company calls them) Resource actions stink. Many come out of left field without warning. Some are subject of month long rumors. Admins are, IMNSHO, are what moves the company. A good one makes their bosses life better and the rest of the department work. A bad one just gets everyone through the day. They usually know how things done, even for vendors, as I was turned into a couple of years ago.
Best of luck looking for something new. Hope you fine something quickly.

no, sorry :lol:

I already have another job before I go. Employers do it, why not the employees??

I recently sent a company my resume, my would-be boss was taken aback by the fact that I didn't list what company I currently was working for (but said I would disclose that upon request, you just never know who might see that resume and my company didn't know of my intentions to leave).

About 25% of all job listings don't list what company is actually hiring because they don't want the current holder of that position to quit before they have a replacement. Kinda crappy but makes complete sense.

I couldn't understand why he would be so turned off when I wanted to employ the same methods as so many companies.

I couldn't understand why he would be so turned off when I wanted to employ the same methods as so many companies.

Do as we say, not as we do. Lots of managers think they "own" employees. I've had a one of them say it to my face. Had another guy claim to own my skillset which was even worse (this was post PhD even). None of those folks lasted very long as my supervisor/manager/employer.

Kimberly, I don't have any leads for you but I just wanted to sympathize. I too am being laid off from the position I've held for four years, at a school where I've worked for 20. Declining enrollment was the reason, traceable to a state administration that considers public education a luxury. At least I was given 90 days notice, but the downside is, I have no severance, and there are only 2-3 open positions in my area doing what I do. The competition is fierce. It really, really sucks. Best of luck and I hope you find something soon!

Kim, are you willing to relocate? Salary won't be close to the north of 60K you are looking for but the cost of living is a hell of a lot less than the bay area.

Kimberly, Because of your outgoing personality and diverse network, I don't expect you'll be out of work for long....

Kim, are you willing to relocate? Salary won't be close to the north of 60K you are looking for but the cost of living is a hell of a lot less than the bay area.

That was going to be my question. Outside the bay area you could live nicer for less than half the cost. (perhaps just my assumption).

Regardless, I hope something you love opens up soon. Good luck.

Considering the real estate boom in Mountain View, I would be surprised if Google didn't have openings.

Kimberly, way sorry to hear this. Your salary target will make pickings slim, especially given the outflow of commerce from CA, but if you're willing to relocate your standard of living could be supported on much less, as has been noted. There are such positions open here in Utah's booming economy, and some would pay close to what you need.

The most valuable thing I was taught in counselling during a recent job search was that 95% of openings advertised are not actually open. Many are just covering bases legally before already-chosen candidates start work. Getting the job you want is all about networking, and talking to actual hiring managers. (In your case, that's CEOs.)

There are also many admin assistants hired through recruitment and temp firms, in part to conceal turnover from competitors, so make those rounds with your resume, too.

...A layoff without warning is less than ethical, but it's common.

Please. It's a business necessity in response to the "ethics" of many employees, some of which are on display in this thread. People also have emotional reactions and do destructive things until they calm down. I don't fault companies for sending them to the sidewalk with a cardboard box before they go nuts or steal stuff.

It is also unfortunate that managers doing the firing often don't know until the last minute.

My experience in broadcasting, an industry hammered by downsizing the last 20 years, has ranged from two weeks' notice to zero, and in each case my manager was also losing his position.

The only truly unethical experience I've had was with a podcast client who I gave two weeks notice, who decided that was an excuse not to pay me for my last two weeks. Even that was not unexpected.

Last edited:
Kimberly, Because of your outgoing personality and diverse network, I don't expect you'll be out of work for long....

Kimberly.. Sorry for the exit.. But It will make you stronger in the long run... Now is the perfect time to start your own business and work for yourself.. IMHO...

Chin up and don't look back..:yes:

Kimberly, way sorry to hear this. Your salary target will make pickings slim, especially given the outflow of commerce from CA, but if you're willing to relocate your standard of living could be supported on much less, as has been noted. There are such positions open here in Utah's booming economy, and some would pay close to what you need.

The most valuable thing I was taught in counselling during a recent job search was that 95% of openings advertised are not actually open. Many are just covering bases legally before already-chosen candidates start work. Getting the job you want is all about networking, and talking to actual hiring managers. (In your case, that's CEOs.)

There are also many admin assistants hired through recruitment and temp firms, in part to conceal turnover from competitors, so make those rounds with your resume, too.

Please. It's a business necessity in response to the "ethics" of many employees, some of which are on display in this thread. People also have emotional reactions and do destructive things until they calm down. I don't fault companies for sending them to the sidewalk with a cardboard box before they go nuts or steal stuff.

It is also unfortunate that managers doing the firing often don't know until the last minute.

My experience in broadcasting, an industry hammered by downsizing the last 20 years, has ranged from two weeks' notice to zero, and in each case my manager was also losing his position.

The only truly unethical experience I've had was with a podcast client who I gave two weeks notice, who decided that was an excuse not to pay me for my last two weeks. Even that was not unexpected.

Is it like that in other countries too, or just here?? Being let go with no notice/reason?

Kimberly.. Sorry for the exit.. But It will make you stronger in the long run... Now is the perfect time to start your own business and work for yourself.. IMHO...

Chin up and don't look back..:yes:

Super Advice!

Kimberly, good luck.

Although it may be hard to hear now, sometimes a bad unexpected break turns into a good one in the long run.

Saw your FB post regarding this... can't think of California-based ideas, so mostly just posting to say, "Bummer." Don't let it get you down...

There's always a reason. It's just not always obvious. If the reason is far enough upstream, you won't get notice.

Doesn't even have to be upstream. "We are out of money" is universally understood by anyone within the chain of command.

Been there, done that, in November of 2001. Dot bomb stuff started, data center company was running on investor capital that was being done in Quarterly chunks. They decided they weren't putting in any more.

There had already been two small layoffs that year, but those were mostly about reorganizing. 400+ out of 500 were handed pink slips on the same day. Here's a box. Grab your stuff, and have a nice Friday. No moolah. See ya.

Back