I need to find some pilot friends.

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Here comes some boring stuff about me. Prepare!

Ugh - I've decided I need to find some new friends, some that are pilots. I've found that more and more, all my friends ever want to do is stay inside and drink or play video games. Most of my friends won't fly with me (a few have) because they are afraid of plane crashes. Moreso that they are all over the news lately.

I've found that I don't really have anyone to talk to about cool stuff I've done as a pilot. My parents have gotten tired of hearing about it, and my friends don't care. Guess its time to start kicking it around the airport trying to find some people to hang out with.

Its amazing. I have decided that I don't really like drinking anymore, so I've decided to stop for a while. There's not a whole lot to do with friends when they go out drinking and you're not. Drinking sodas and watching your friends get wasted is kinda lame.

SkyHog said:
Ugh - I've decided I need to find some new friends, some that are pilots. I've found that more and more, all my friends ever want to do is stay inside and drink or play video games.

Its amazing. I have decided that I don't really like drinking anymore

Funny how once you find purpose and passion in your live (and it doesn't have to be piloting, it was motorcycling for me, but it could be church, a spouse, etc.), you don't have the desire to drink, party, and goof off anymore.

Nick, welcome to adulthood.

SkyHog said:
Here comes some boring stuff about me. Prepare!

Ugh - I've decided I need to find some new friends, some that are pilots. I've found that more and more, all my friends ever want to do is stay inside and drink or play video games. Most of my friends won't fly with me (a few have) because they are afraid of plane crashes. Moreso that they are all over the news lately.

I've found that I don't really have anyone to talk to about cool stuff I've done as a pilot. My parents have gotten tired of hearing about it, and my friends don't care. Guess its time to start kicking it around the airport trying to find some people to hang out with.

Its amazing. I have decided that I don't really like drinking anymore, so I've decided to stop for a while. There's not a whole lot to do with friends when they go out drinking and you're not. Drinking sodas and watching your friends get wasted is kinda lame.

Yep, what you need is one of these . Lottsa fun, cheap to fly. Chicks'll think it hangs to your knee, Dudes will drool.:D Lots of good cameraderie amongst the experimental crowd.

Henning said:
Yep, what you need is one of these . Lottsa fun, cheap to fly. Chicks'll think it hangs to your knee, Dudes will drool.:D Lots of good cameraderie amongst the experimental crowd.

Thats kinda funny, because I was thinking about building a plane for something to do when not at school or work (hell, I could probably do it at work, too).

Still looking at the CH640. For some reason, that plane is just gorgeous to me. Although I saw a different Mini Mustang, the T-51 from Titan Aircraft that would be cool too. http://www.titanaircraft.com/aircraft.php?aircraft_id=1

In reality though, I just need to hang out around the airport.

SkyHog said:
Ugh - I've decided I need to find some new friends, some that are pilots.

I've found the people around the airport are good people to hang out with. They never tire of the last flying story and bum rides off each other all the time.

At Troy I met two people off The Babes board, which lead to other Babes in MI, MI people from this web board and some people they knew at the airport. They had a hanger party over the summer and about 20 people went out to dinner. I also made breakfast runs over the summer.

Go to the airport sit down in the lounge and chat with whom ever is there (unless your alone cause then people will think your crazy when they walk in). Making freind takes time, but you have to meet and chat with them first.

I also joined the 99's, go join EAA and attend the chapter meetings and functions! Get involed the freinds will follow.

Make long distance freinds and go visit them too! See you at Gastons!

Missa

SkyHog said:
Thats kinda funny, because I was thinking about building a plane for something to do when not at school or work (hell, I could probably do it at work, too).

Still looking at the CH640. For some reason, that plane is just gorgeous to me. Although I saw a different Mini Mustang, the T-51 from Titan Aircraft that would be cool too. http://www.titanaircraft.com/aircraft.php?aircraft_id=1

In reality though, I just need to hang out around the airport.

That's not half the plane the Busby is, plus it's way too expensive. There are a bunch of the Busby designs out there and you can buy a good flying one for less than $20k. You can get a rip roarin beefed up 210 hp 300 kt one for around $40k, at least thats what it has sold for the last few times. It's a rocker. You can find one that's not so good, or minorly incomplete for less than $10k sometimes with engine (used, no data tag probably). Talk to the feds, and take enough apart to assemble under the 51% rule so you have your own repairmans certificate for that plane.

Last edited:
SkyHog said:
Thats kinda funny, because I was thinking about building a plane

I've almost convinced myself to build a Vans RV-8. Sport aerobatic capable, 180kt cruise, efficient, can be built IFR capable, and you have that repairmans certificate. Plus, lots of neat experimental electronics that you can't put in certified aircraft...

Some suggestions:

Join Angel Flight or a similar organization and get acquainted with some of the other pilots there.

Is there a local EAA chapter? Some are pretty active and meet regularly. Find out who's building planes in your area and arrange a visit. Most of the builders I've met were happy to have someone to chat with while they work on their next beauty. The Young Eagles program would probably interest you too.

Put up a notice on a few FBO bulletin boards saying you would like to share flights in your plane to nearby fly-ins.

Get involved in non-aviation community activities, particularly ones that aren't focused on drinking/partying. I think I've met as many pilots that way than I have at the airport.

SkyHog said:
Ugh - I've decided I need to find some new friends, some that are pilots.

Join the local EAA chapter. It's not just for experimentals. Most of the EAA members I've known own and fly certified aircraft.

I am in the same boat as you Nick. I moved here about three years ago and the only people I know are the half dozen I work with and the few pilots I know at the airport. I spend eight + hrs a day with my co-workers and thats enough. So on my off time I'm at the airport. In the summer time we have BBQ's and just hang out watching the Jumpers and flying with each other. In the winter you just find the one that has the heater going in his hanger and land there. And if no one is there, I come home and get on POA and see what my friends here are up to.
Can't wait for Gastons, one big hanger party under the stars.:goofy:

So hang in there, Nick! June will be here before you know it.

Hey Nick, I know you watch so I gotta say it. Maybe Heidenreich will be your friend.

N2212R said:
Hey Nick, I know you watch so I gotta say it. Maybe Heidenreich will be your friend.

LOL. Maybe he'll even write me a poem. :rolleyes:

Michael said:
Nick, I will be your friend :yes:

Wait - so you'll move out here? Or should I move there?

j/k, of course.

Dean said:
I am in the same boat as you Nick. I moved here about three years ago and the only people I know are the half dozen I work with and the few pilots I know at the airport. I spend eight + hrs a day with my co-workers and thats enough. So on my off time I'm at the airport. In the summer time we have BBQ's and just hang out watching the Jumpers and flying with each other. In the winter you just find the one that has the heater going in his hanger and land there. And if no one is there, I come home and get on POA and see what my friends here are up to.
Can't wait for Gastons, one big hanger party under the stars.:goofy:

So hang in there, Nick! June will be here before you know it.

That sounds awesome. Unfortunately, I don't see that kind of comraderie (sp?) at my home airport. If Coronado (4AC) were still open, I bet it would be like that, but alas....

I should clarify - I consider a lot of people here my friends, but online and not really tangible. I can't wait for Gastons either, for the same reason.

also - everyone that suggested the EAA - good idea!! I'll look into that. I joined CAP a while back, but it was filled with old people that I couldn't really relate to....except the Rio Rancho chapter....but that's too far.

Last edited:
SkyHog said:
I joined CAP a while back, but it was filled with old people that I couldn't really relate to....except the Rio Rancho chapter....but that's too far.
A few years ago I was invited to join the QBs and went to one meeting. I was the youngest there by probably, oh, 30 years. Everyone else was a WWII vet and therefore over 70.

My dog is my friend. Other than that, I don't socialize much. Probably something to do with my hair. ;)

Nick;
If you're ever in the NoEast, look me up. Not only can we hang out at the airport, but even get a few hours flying in.

Dean said:
So on my off time I'm at the airport. In the summer time we have BBQ's and just hang out watching the Jumpers and flying with each other. In the winter you just find the one that has the heater going in his hanger and land there.
I made all my friends just by hanging around the airport like a bum. I used to have to find excuses to go to the airport, though. Now that I have my own plane, I can just go and tinker and nobody wonders about it. You can do that now, too.

Do you have a diner on the field? An FBO or flight school or someplace with a lounge or bulletin board? We hang out at the diner a lot -- everyone stops in there at some point. There is also the desk area in the terminal. Pilots stop in there when they're flying in, you can always ask them where they flew in from and how the visibility is up there.

Another thing I did A LOT and still do is find a mechanic I liked, and just hang out with him, watching him do annuals on airplanes. I learned a lot, met the customers, stayed warm in winter, and sometimes got to help.

The flight school had CFI's coming and going, and they have a tiny pilot shop, so I'd go over and buy a chart or something and strike up a conversation with them.

I guarantee you, Nick, if you hang around the airport enough, you're going to have more friends than you can handle.

Ken Ibold said:
A few years ago I was invited to join the QBs and went to one meeting. I was the youngest there by probably, oh, 30 years. Everyone else was a WWII vet and therefore over 70.

Or you go and they think it is the real military. Ugh. Did my time with Uncle Sam, don't need to do it again.

I'm in the same boat. But designated drivers always get free sodas! Hanging around the airport is OK but that gets old too. Nothing like flying with friends.

Look me up if you're in the Michigan (Flint) area.

Tom

I know what you mean... Although I don't think I'll ever give up video games, drinking, and causing some occaisional trouble! :)

My immediate friends like to fly, but are often pressed for time. I'm fortunate to have access to a plane we can fit myself (@250lbs), my wife, and another couple to go somewhere.

If you're ever in San Jose... We'll go fly

tom. said:
I'm in the same boat. But designated drivers always get free sodas! Hanging around the airport is OK but that gets old too. Nothing like flying with friends.

Look me up if you're in the Michigan (Flint) area.

Tom

Tom,

your not alone in MI... there's me, Ed, Steve, Jean, Barb and others. We fly out to meet regularly (burr, when it's not so cool out)

Ed, did you pick a rain date for the cancled trip yet?

Missa
(Sorry I can't help Nick, unless you want to move to MI)

Missa said:
Ed, did you pick a rain date for the cancled trip yet?

It will ALWAYS be the second saturday of the month.

I'm thinking MIE. Their restaurant is on the field.

Not a bad idea. well, you've got some time before a decision has to be made. But then agian, it may get weathered out agian : (

Bill Jennings said:
Or you go and they think it is the real military. Ugh. Did my time with Uncle Sam, don't need to do it again.

Must be your city. From what I hear, in a number of places it's not exactly "q"....

Bill Jennings said:

Not my experience with the QBs. Most of them were pretty interesting guys. I scrounged up a fair bit of time and knowledge from those guys.

Missa,

Did you by chance take your checkride up this way, over the summer?

tom. said:
Missa,

Did you by chance take your checkride up this way, over the summer?

Nope I'm swiftly aproching one year, I checkrided last Jan. Would Lapeer be "up this way"? I do know another gal that did the checkride this summer at lapeer, she may be my partner in a Citabra... Barry Sutton infected us both with his Citabra. :goofy:

Missa

SkyHog said:
No I didn't - I haven't even heard of the group. I'll check into that.

They don't do as many social flyins as our Colorado Association but they do have a safety meeting at a different airport almost monthly.

Hey Nick ,you can find friends anywhere, But friends with the same interests are a little more difficult.But thats why we have POA,AOPA,EAA, and airports. And if you get really desperate you could always buy a DOG.

See everyone at Gaston's

Dave G

Shipoke said:
Hey Nick ,you can find friends anywhere, But friends with the same interests are a little more difficult.But thats why we have POA,AOPA,EAA, and airports. And if you get really desperate you could always buy a DOG.

See everyone at Gaston's

Dave G

that's also why the 99s is so neat! I've made a lot of good, supportive friends through there.

Back