I need some advice from paypal experts

rbridges

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rbridges
I've got a potential buyer for my Whelen wingtip LEDs, but he lives in the Ukraine. It looks legit, but I have my reservations. He wants to use paypal which is great, but I still wonder if I'm leaving myself open to any type of scam. Is there any way that I can get screwed if it's shipped to a verified address and tracked/insured? I've read about people using a combination of ebay/paypal and getting ripped off, but that seems to be more of an ebay thing. I just don't want him claiming "empty box" or item misrepresented, and sending me a box of rocks back and getting a full refund.

I trust PayPal. I run a small website where to date I've probably received 3000 payments through PayPal. Not one instance where a payment wasn't legitimate.

Well they can always try something, but if they paypal you. You wait until it clears, then transfer to bank, then confirm its in the bank, then ship, there really isnt anything they can do. even if paypal try's to get money from you, they wont. Just dont use that paypal again.
I would setup a new paypal address for this if your really worried.

I shipped some scuba gear to russia and ukraine last year, sold thru ebay, paid via paypal. No issues. Expect with shipping labels..

Always been happy with paypal. There resolutions center seems to be staffed with real people who look art the problems and find a real solution.

I would trust PayPal with the transaction.

The only thing I've ever run into with all my ebay sales and Paypal transactions was a guy in California that complained that the item wasn't as advertised...the only problem for him was that although I had printed a shipping label I had some issues that week and hadn't mailed it yet... LOL

I have sold probably 200 items on Ebay, with Paypal used to pay me. Never had any issues as far as fraud, but these were items under $100. And 99% of these sales were domestic and a few to Canada. International is a whole other ballgame. That's where the majority of fraud occurs since they know nobody will go looking for them in the Ukraine.

But I have heard stories that Paypal sides with the customer more often than not, and will freeze funds in seller accounts in a second if there's any discrepancy.

I like the idea that somebody else had. Don't ship until the funds are in your bank account. And I would add, then "disconnect"/delete your bank account and credit card info from your Paypal account in case they make a claim and Paypal tries to recoop the money.

What airplane is he putting them on? Ask for reg # and serial #, certainly not foolproof, but might help to weed out scammers. Usually the scammers want to use a "different escrow" company that is just like Paypal, except it isn't. I am like you I don't like the idea of shipping something across the world to someone that I don't know! I have sold a couple headsets on here and mailed them out before I got the check and bought a 396 that the guy sent and when I got it I sent him a check. It's all about comfort level. :)

I had a big issue with ebay/paypal but... It wasn't really with paypal.

I sold a motorcycle helmet (used). I thought I represented it fairly well but the guy I sold it to said that it wasn't. It was carbon fiber but he said it was heavier that I claimed and it smelled. I never told him an exact weight and I said it was used. He was buying for his wife to get a lighter helmet.

I ended up telling him to keep it and I refunded his money. I guess I got my use out of it anyway.

It wasn't worth the trouble since I only got a few $$$ in the first place. Just be darn sure your represent you product properly, these things can always go sour. I was just selling to the next state over, very much within driving distance, less than 200miles.

I've accepted PayPal payments from all over the world without issues. Easiest way to accept foreign payments. They pay in their currency and you get dollars.

Back