I need RAM!!!!!!!!!!

pookies

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
pookies
So my frankenputer can't play HD video files very well. I need a slight RAM upgrade. My computer currently has 2X512MB PC133 SDRAM (DDR3). I was looking for 2X1GB, but the only kind I have found is for servers. Is there another type I can use that would be compatible? I don't want to spend alot of money, since this is just so I can watch video files.

Pookies, the amount of RAM you can install is frequently limited to the number of sockets for the RAM you have on the motherboard. How old is the computer? How many free sockets does it have?

-Skip

The computer is from late 2005. I have 2 sockets for the RAM.

How do I find what CPU socket I have? I promise you when I boot up (or go into bios, I forget) it does say DDR3.

From 2005? Probably DDR or DDR2. I don't think DDR3 came out until 2007 or so. Are you sure you're not reading the RAM from the video BIOS?

-Rich

Ok, I pulled my RAM and I got this: #1 512MB PC2700 DDR #2 512 MB PC333 DDR

I ran that program. What info do you need me to post?

Ok, I pulled my RAM and I got this: #1 512MB PC2700 DDR #2 512 MB PC333 DDR

Ah, so it is DDR.

Anything off this list should serve you well. You could mix RAM if you absolutely had to, but it's not really a good idea. (Different voltages, etc.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147%201052107965%201052407860&name=DDR%20333%20(PC%202700)

If you come across any higher speed sticks of DDR, you should be able to use them, but it will only run as high as your motherboard supports. That could be DDR 333, or higher.

A screenshot of the CPU and memory tabs would be great, but I think we may already have your problem solved.

Does that sound like miss matched RAM?
good luck finding 2700speed ram now.

It can be gotten. I can pick it up and mail it to you if you want, though I'm not sure I can get to it this week, what with the holiday.

Actually, you also can use most PC3200 RAM sticks. Whichever you choose, I recommend that both sticks be upgraded to identical sticks. I know some disagree, but I've always noticed way fewer problems when identical RAM is used.

Actually...

A couple of my sites have aStores on them that sell that RAM, but I feel awkward posting a monetized link...

Oh, what the heck. The commission on a couple of sticks of RAM is trivial. Here's the link. Search for PC2700 (or PC3200) in the search box under Memory.

http://www.kitchentablecomputers.com/store.php

If it's the best price, buy it. Otherwise, you can shop around and get it somewhere else.

-Rich

Thanks! I will plan to purchase some of this in the near future! ^_^

might just want to hit newegg for a new MB/Processor/RAM

I thought about it, but I think I just might get the RAM. This computer I use, I don't do anything fancy with it. It's pretty much just a media player for me.

Back