I need a sample weight and balance sheet for a Cessna 140.

IK04

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
LNXGUY
Howdy,

I am adapting an Excel workbook for my C-140, and I need some examples in order to get the functions right for the formulas.

Any of you 140 owners got copies of your weight and balance data I can use to get this done?

Thanks!

If you've got ForeFlight, there's a generic C140 on the W&B page, IIRC.

I concur there is one on the association website, its a very helpful group to belong to! They were invaluable in my buying process and are in my new ownership. Just got mine a few weeks ago!

Speaking of W & B im putting mine on a weight loss program! How much has urs gained? Mines at 1036lbs... ive identified about 30 i can shed with little expense...

Yes, I am a member. Been there already. I'll try again. Their forum is not as active as POA...
Please post another message on the Cessna 140 forum under "Technical Discussion" section - I will see if I can get one of our gurus to respond.

What do you have on your 140 weighing 30 pounds that you can get rid of?

First one is the question in terms of weight reduction amount: Interior, I talked to one guy that claimed he lost 20lbs getting rid of carpet and upholstery and just painting the interior in his 140. I'm going to do it, as even if its 10 or 15, one door panel without mounting hardware weighs 1.5lbs. That project costs me almost nothing besides some time to take it out, weigh it, clean up what was under it and a coat of paint. The guy that did it had pics and it looked great no carpet and upholstery and just painted.

Mine has two grimes landing lights, most only had the left, they weigh about 6lbs, the right is inop anyway so I'm going to get that out and use as a donor to keep my left one going if it needs something over time...

Switching from the Gill battery to an Odyssey saves about 8lbs.

It has the child's seat in the rear, that is 6lbs...

Transponder isn't working and I live in an area where not having one really won't hamper my flying so theres a couple pounds probably..

So with the guesstimated range for the interior I come up with a range of 30-40 if my interior is as heavy as the one C-140 owner said his was...

That would still leave me with switching to a lightweight starter and light weight alternator (currently has a 60amp alternator), and maybe downsizing out of the 800's as those are heavy tires- but I kinda like em... But those are pricier spots and if I lose enough elsewhere I think I'll keep those big ol tires- one of the previous owners and a few others have commented that they take a lot of the bouncy reputation out at landing making them nice on pavement or a hay field to have... And the starter and alternator would be pricey options as long as the existing ones are working, though any issues with them going lightweight for replacement would be the obvious choice.

Which Odyssey battery goes in a 140?

The SBS J16 is what others I have talked with have used. Many are of the opinion that it is considered a Minor alteration and IA can just do log book entry. Others have gone the 337 route, there is an example of the 337 they have filed in the association library...

I asked my IA this morning, I'll have to check out that 337. Thanks.

I asked my IA this morning, I'll have to check out that 337. Thanks.

Mine at home airport not too keen on it, but Im going to see a group of more experienced 120/140 guys Saturday, ill get us what info I can. For the cost of a battey 8lbs pretty decent loss I figure...

Back