I need a monoplane!

whifferdill

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
whifferdill
I was following the IAC nationals (congrats to Rob Holland!) this week and was looking at the Unlimited Unknown thinking some of these attempted figures would be pretty entertaining in my Pitts S-1S...it ain't got near enough roll rate and juice to fly Unlimited these days. This is a video of Figure 1. I pretty much knew how it was gonna go...zero airspeed snaps don't work too well. I pulled from Vne and did the rolls as fast as I could with virtually no lines before or after. Airspeed indicated zero as I pushed over. I figure it's only a matter of time until I become a complete monoplane sellout. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkbXiIC_sTw&feature=plcp

Looked good to me! And I do not have a clue what you were dpoing. Looks fu!.

Nice power off 360 btw!

David

When you decide to bite the bullet and get one, let me know, maybe I'll buy your Pitts! :)

Movin' on up.....

Hey, did you notice the winner of the sportsman was a decathlon over a Pitts and an extra? How about that?

Hey, did you notice the winner of the sportsman was a decathlon over a Pitts and an extra? How about that?

Yep, saw that. It's nice to see if only because it proves that Sportsman is purely about pilot skill. The high perf planes really have almost no advantage in this category. Lots of folks who are not involved don't seem to understand that.

And I think my Pitts has a few rolls left in it. :)

Cool video! Thanks for posting.

What speed do you hit over the numbers landing that thing? Looks like it's screaming compared to the 60kts in the RV.

What speed do you hit over the numbers landing that thing? Looks like it's screaming compared to the 60kts in the RV.

The Pitts is a little hotter than the RV. I'm flying the curved approach power off at 80 mph until I break the glide. Touching down 3-pt a little under 70.

When you decide to bite the bullet and get one, let me know, maybe I'll buy your Pitts! :)

Movin' on up.....

Yeah, but if the Pitts guy had been able to stay...

Just sayin...

Ryan

While I'd never cheat on the Super D that I'm learning acro in--she's been very good to me--I'm going to start saving for an S-1S (or even an S-1C) after ogling so many beautiful single-hole Pitts at the contest.

All I know is that a stock Extra 300L will do six rolls after a six g pull to vertical with two people on board on a hot summer day. Just saying.

Yeah, but if the Pitts guy had been able to stay...

Just sayin...

~~~~ hey, Ryan, yeah you'd be right if it was tom :)

For a minute I thought sheesh was the Pitts guy Tom? So I looked and no, it's mark killian - he's listed in a lot of competition results.

All I know is that a stock Extra 300L will do six rolls after a six g pull to vertical with two people on board on a hot summer day. Just saying.

I'm a lot more interested in piloting ability than aircraft capability. ;) Most Extra pilots have a lot of one and not so much of the other. :)

So anyway, you shouldn't have any trouble whoopin' up on those poor little Decathlons at the next contest in your area. ;)

Last edited:
I was following the IAC nationals (congrats to Rob Holland!) this week and was looking at the Unlimited Unknown thinking some of these attempted figures would be pretty entertaining in my Pitts S-1S...it ain't got near enough roll rate and juice to fly Unlimited these days. This is a video of Figure 1. I pretty much knew how it was gonna go...zero airspeed snaps don't work too well. I pulled from Vne and did the rolls as fast as I could with virtually no lines before or after. Airspeed indicated zero as I pushed over. I figure it's only a matter of time until I become a complete monoplane sellout. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkbXiIC_sTw&feature=plcp

Which is why IAC will continue to shed flying members.
When the cost of being able to compete in anything above Advanced is in the 6-figure region (Edge, Sbach, Extra, at al) because of required maneuveres and judging bias the "need" to compete is removed...

JMPO and YMMV

Chris

Which is why IAC will continue to shed flying members.
When the cost of being able to compete in anything above Advanced is in the 6-figure region (Edge, Sbach, Extra, at al) because of required maneuveres and judging bias the "need" to compete is removed.

Chris

Chris, your first point notwithstanding, I'm curious what your experience is with judging bias in IAC competition? I can't speak for international competition and judging, but I have not noticed any judging bias in IAC. I'm a regional judge and have also spent quit a bit of time assisting on the judges line and overall have observed the scoring to be very consistent with the quality of the flying, regardless of the aircraft type involved.

The problem isn't the number of wings you have, it's the anemic little IO-360 and your small ailerons.

(sez the guy flying behind a Rotax 912 UL :D)

The problem isn't the number of wings you have, it's the anemic little IO-360 and your small ailerons.

(sez the guy flying behind a Rotax 912 UL :D)

Yep, I either need to replace the IO-360 with a 540, or replace the airframe with a Giles 200. :D

Back