I may not be in Kansas right now but I will be shortly

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Heading to KC for some business in a coupe of weeks. My meeting is downtown and I was thinking of using the downtown airport to fly into as it is closest. Anyone have experiences with a FBO there?

Or should I fly in elsewhere for cheaper FLIB treatment? I will arrive on a Monday and depart Wednesday and will not need transport except to and from the airport.

Any input is welcome

smigaldi said:
Heading to KC for some business in a coupe of weeks. My meeting is downtown and I was thinking of using the downtown airport to fly into as it is closest. Anyone have experiences with a FBO there?

Or should I fly in elsewhere for cheaper FLIB treatment? I will arrive on a Monday and depart Wednesday and will not need transport except to and from the airport.

Any input is welcome

Scott,

If you are going downtown, Downtown Airport, (MKC) really cannot be beat. Executive Beech is on the southeast corner of the field, and there is another one on the west side of the field. I for the life of me cannot remember its name. (Dustin?) I think either is a good choice. FWIW, there is some major construction going on down there so you may want to pay close attention to the NOTAMs for MKC.

Dustin, where are you? He works down there and can give yo better information if he sees the thread.

BTW, MKC is in MISSOURI. Downtown KC is in MISSOURI. Unless of course you are going to somewhere in KCK. Sorry, I just cringe when the flight attendents say "Welcome to Kansas" when we are in fact in Missouri.

Last edited:
Greg Bockelman said:
If you are going downtown, Downtown Airport, (MKC) really cannot be beat. Executive Beech is on the southeast corner of the field, and there is another one on the west side of the field. I for the life of me cannot remember its name.
I went to that one on the other side of the field once but I think Dustin mentioned that they no longer serve transients there. I've been to Executive Beech in both small and slightly bigger airplanes and have been treated well. KMKC is definitely the most convenient to downtown KC. That said, I don't know how it compares to other airports in the area pricewise.

Greg Bockelman said:
BTW, MKC is in MISSOURI. Downtown KC is in MISSOURI. Unless of course you are going to somewhere in KCK. Sorry, I just cringe when the flight attendents say "Welcome to Kansas" when we are in fact in Missouri.

Also important to know if you are looking for approach plates.

Ive been into downtown twice in a Lance. Very easy to get into. Kansas City Approach is great, will likely give you a Class B clearance if you ask, maybe even if you dont ask. Best part about going in and out of downtown is turning around the buildings on climbout. Lots of construction is going on. I used Executive Beech on the SE side like Greg. Nice place, friendly. Fueled us quickly.

I have a customer in downtown KC and have flown into KMKC a number of times. Very conventient, everyone there is a professional, and the museum with the Connie is a MUST see.

However, like all big city airports it's expensive. I have also used Lee's Summit KLXT once and that was a very good experience. You can compare the fuel prices on AirNav. There is definitely an overnight fee at MKC, NOT waived with fuel purchase, and no such fee at LXT.

Only you can decide the trade-off of the convenience of MKC versus its costs.

Can't say much about the FBOs at MKC. I use OJC (about 15-20 NM S). As has beeen mentioned - there is much construction at MKC this spring, check in advance. LXT and OJC are about the same distance drive from downtown KC if you decide to drop in outside of town. But, if you really need to be downtown, MKC can't be any closer.

smigaldi said:

Any input is welcome
I've been in there too, for a meeting at the Hilton. Just remember, it's in a s__t terrible neighborhood, so be sure the FBO is there to give you the rental car. I was coming in late, took my Moped in the back, it was midnight.....

bbchien said:
I've been in there too, for a meeting at the Hilton. Just remember, it's in a s__t terrible neighborhood, so be sure the FBO is there to give you the rental car. I was coming in late, took my Moped in the back, it was midnight.....

Eck, moped at midnight, yikes.

The FBO where I used to work was called The Aero Centre. It was actually part of EB, where I moved down to Hangar 6B on the West side to work. The Aero Centre Hangar went back to the city, only to be hit by a F0 tornado, if it was classified a tornado. Blew the south wall off the hangar, blew one of the main hangar doors across the main hangar, blew the rest of the doors off the tracks.

Scariest part is that I used to stand at those same doors with them cracked to watch storms pass by, lol. I am glad I was at 6B, too close, we watched from there.

Executive Beechcraft is the only FBO on the field. Full service, 24 hours. The city is planning on putting in a self fueling station in the future. Check the notams for MKC, a PPR (Prior Permission Required) is needed to get in and out, 1 PPR is good for a week.

Dustin said:
The FBO where I used to work was called The Aero Centre. It was actually part of EB, where I moved down to Hangar 6B on the West side to work. The Aero Centre Hangar went back to the city, only to be hit by a F0 tornado, if it was classified a tornado. Blew the south wall off the hangar, blew one of the main hangar doors across the main hangar, blew the rest of the doors off the tracks.

Scariest part is that I used to stand at those same doors with them cracked to watch storms pass by, lol. I am glad I was at 6B, too close, we watched from there.

Executive Beechcraft is the only FBO on the field. Full service, 24 hours. The city is planning on putting in a self fueling station in the future. Check the notams for MKC, a PPR (Prior Permission Required) is needed to get in and out, 1 PPR is good for a week.

Tell me more about this PPR. Where does one get one and what are the procedures?

smigaldi said:

Any input is welcome

Was just in Kansas City a couple weeks ago... as others have stated, there is a LOT of major construction going on at that airport (runway work); make sure you check notams carefully; I would follow that up with a phone call for specifics from somebody knowledgeable on the ground.

Have a good trip! For a meeting downtown, there's no better airport to use! Made Meigs look like it was out in the rurals in comparison!

Here's the information on how to get a PPR to land at KMKC as a transient pilot during the construction:

http://www.midwesternpilot.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=395&highlight=mkc

Last edited:
Troy Whistman said:
Was just in Kansas City a couple weeks ago... as others have stated, there is a LOT of major construction going on at that airport (runway work); make sure you check notams carefully; I would follow that up with a phone call for specifics from somebody knowledgeable on the ground.

Have a good trip! For a meeting downtown, there's no better airport to use! Made Meigs look like it was out in the rurals in comparison!

Here's the information on how to get a PPR to land at KMKC as a transient pilot during the construction:

http://www.midwesternpilot.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=395&highlight=mkc

Thanks I am here now and getting into MKC was super easy. I came a day early due to all instrument approaches being OTS. There was hardly anyone at the airport but the taxi ways are not confusing at all.

A couple of pics that I quick shot as I was flying base for runway 1 into MKC.

They aren't te best but I was a little busy at the time:D

Attachments

• IMG_1116.jpg
    IMG_1116.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1115.jpg
    IMG_1115.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
Nice pictures. If you got in yesterday afternoon, you also just missed the thunderstorms last night. I don't think we got a drop of rain all month, then last night we hit our monthly average all at once.

Trip Report.

This trip is the longest one I have taken with this plane since I bought it and flew it home form Indiana to the Chicago area. I had taken it to visit my relatives in Fort Wayne but that is only an 1:15 away. I spent most of the summer and fall gettign used to the plane, putting it through its paces and then in October finally flying it in IMC. Then winter started to slow down the flights and shortly after the first of the year I started with the ECI ad, annual, and other upgrades detailed in other threads on PoA. After that I wanted to make sure everything was workign well enough before I flew it to the hinterlands again.

In June I have a trip to North Carolina planned, this business trip to Kansas City was a perfect dry run. My original plan was to depart on Monday but the forecast was for some pretty lousy WX along the route of flight with the chance of having to shoot an approach once I got here. KMKC is under construction and all of the IAPs are currently OTS. If it was IMC I woud have to divert. But the WX on Sunday was VMC the whoel route of flight so I left a day early.

I decided to depart around 11am. The WX in Northern IL. was for occasional moderate turb and it did not disappoint, there were actaully some small lenticular clouds and it was pretty bumping. I headed toward the SW ater take direct to the Bradford VOR and waited to pick up clearence until out of Chicago Airspace. I figured if I got it from them they would send me south the Peotone and that was out of my way. Since it was VMC there was no reason to rush getting on the IFR flight plan so I waited until I could get my clearence from RFD.

Once in their RFD airspace I called and got my clearence 'As filled' with a climb up to my altitude (6000MSL) where it smoothed out. The winds were about 10-15kts higher than expected so I recalculated some times to see if the fuel would be ok. The original plan was for Airspeed of 115kts, and GS of aound 110kts. My actual GS was lowers and it looked like instead of 3:11 it was going to take 3:45. I carry 48gals of fuel and book says 8.8gph so I would have plenty of gas.

It was a nice trip and very lonely, I only had traffic called twice the entire time. The country side was very nice and I snapped a few pictures. After I got to the Kirksville VOR KC Center gave me direct to KMKC and the approach and landing were very routine although I have to say that KC has a lot of very tall antennas. I did snap a quick couple of pics while coming into land and posted them in an earlier post.

Exe. Beechcraft is a ghost town. I could not raise anyone on the Unicom and it took a few requests to convince them I was staying and wanted gas. Once I got tied down I caled a cab and off I went. Part two of the flight will be Wednesday when I head home.

Miles: 354NM
Fuel: 28gal
Hobbs: 3.8hrs
Average fuel use 7.4gph

Attachments

• flight_track_map.rvt.gif
    flight_track_map.rvt.gif
    35.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Matthew said:
Nice pictures. If you got in yesterday afternoon, you also just missed the thunderstorms last night. I don't think we got a drop of rain all month, then last night we hit our monthly average all at once.

Quit a show last night. I kept thinking that I hope it doesn't hail and hurt my plane :(

But KC propar only seems to have gotten rain while everywhere around was hit pretty hard. Are you in the KC area?

smigaldi said:
Quit a show last night. I kept thinking that I hope it doesn't hail and hurt my plane :(

But KC propar only seems to have gotten rain while everywhere around was hit pretty hard. Are you in the KC area?

Yeah, about 20mi ssw of mkc, one of the suburbs. We had the BR windows open last night, listening to the thunder and watching the lightning. I figured I might as well close the windows before I fell asleep, rather than waiting for the rain to start and wake me up. Got the windows closed just as the rain and wind hit.

Mission complete, first business trip in the plane was a success.

I returned home yesterday. The WX was supposed to be CAVU all accross the midwest but a dark cloud was over MO, and KC city. In the morning I woke up to see a small thunderstorm on the radar directly in my line of flight and ceilings of several hundred feet with tops at 15k MSL. I waited a couple of hours and the thunderstorm diminished to just a rain shower. So I decided to head to the airport and get ready to go.

WX was OVC1900 tops at 15k for about 100NM or so and then CAVU the rest of the way home. I decided to fly direct to the Kirksville VOR and then direct to Rockford airport where there was cheap ($3.19/gal) gas. I learned a good lesson doing this too. That lesson is to pay attention to what you program into the GPS.

When I called ground to get my clearence I heard those words that Chicago pilots hardly every hear, "You are cleared as filled". No wierd vectors to make Chi-Departure happy. I go my taxing clearence and I headed to off to do my run up. BTW I got to see the Connie in TWA colors that is at KMKC, that is one pretty airplane!!

Upon take off I was told to proceed on course just as I entered IMC. I made a right turn to 064 and continued the climb up to 4000 and eventually to 7000. I checked to see my distance and time to Kirksville and I noticed the GPS said that I had 345NM to go. That is strange as my trip is only 315NM. And that is when I noticed I programed the GPS wrong. In my haste I put in direct to IKK. IKK is the Kanakee, IL. VOR I wanted IRK. I did not read the label when I entered and thus did not notice my mistake. I guess I was just complacent. So in IMC I had to reprogram the flight plan all the time hoping not to hear "8116B are you sure you are on th correct course?" When I got it in a minute later the right course was 055 degrees so I was not that far off. I am just glad that I caught it early before I goofed up the whole area. I did not enjoy reprogramming it in an IMC climb.

While climbing the windscreen completly fogged up so I need full defrosters to try and clear it, not that there was anything to see. But the OATs were right around 0C and I wanted to watch for ice. For the next hour I was in the clag and sometimes between layers. I took a picture of one of the more pretty moments. I kept the storm scope on but so nothing and only hit a few rain showers, it was a very smooth ride.

As I neared IRK I started to exit IMC and eventually broke out into the clear blue skies that would be there for the rest of my flight. As I approched Quad cities I heard a cirrus getting admonished by the controllers for flying to the wrong intersection. Seems he mis-programmed his GPS. What type of idiot would do that?? :rolleyes:;) I kept thinking glad that was not me!!!

As I approaced Rockford I was given vectors to the visual runway 1 approach. I could see the airport from 40 miles away. It was fun to make contact with approach and say "RFD app, Cherokee 8116B, landing with Novemebr and I have the airport in sight" ATC was impressed and lamented their time in the muchroom house on such a fine day.

While in KC I enganged in carnivorous behavior and had a steack at the Plaza. It was ok, others that are steak lovers that were with me really say praisess about the meat. On Tuesday I went to BB's for KC BBQ. This was great and sponsored by a company I work with. We had rented the whole place and there was blues band there. Good fun and good food.

Totals for the trip were
7hr TT flying with 1 hr IMC
53.1 gal of 100LL for a cost of $213
Parking at KC was $30 ($10/day) and the people were nice

I am expensing the gas and parking and eating the rest. So the cost is very similiar to my company if they had paid commercial airfare for me.

Thanks to all who offered advice and guidence, it was a fun trip!!!

After all the work I have done on the plane this winter I now know it is ready to go to North Carolina in a few weeks for our vacation!!

Attachments

• flight_track_map.gif
    flight_track_map.gif
    21.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1118.jpg
    IMG_1118.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Back