I may have done myself a disservice

Flying_Nun

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying_Nun
Referring back to my other thread (http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52617) about losing the SR20 I was flying and the option to maybe get a multi rating in an inexpensive Geronimo:

Well, the MEI I was going to use, and have flown with in the past, is going to the airlines soon. Also, in talking to various folks around the airport I've heard that the maintenance on the Geronimo may or may not be what some would consider adequate. And the Arrow, someone landed hard and sheared off half of the bolts attaching the left main gear to the wing spar.

So, off I go looking for options. Turns out there's a guy that owns a Bonanza G36 with all the Garmin goodies. Awesome! But I need to be IR to fly it solo and it's $260/hr dry. But he's an instructor, DPE, ATP, ex-AF, etc. and has a C172 that I could do the IR in. His aircraft are pristine - not a lick of dirt or oil in the Bo's engine bay. Then just for ****s and giggles, he's got a Baron G58 and a Seminole (for ME training).

My dilemma (setting aside that I'm not IR): get a short check-out in the $190/hr SR22 that is available or go for the Bo? From a dollar perspective it's a no-brainer. But, Lord have mercy, that Bo is nice.

Of course I could just stick to the beater 110 KT C172 for $65/hr.

Why must it be an "or?"

(Side note - I'm fairly relieved to hear that an Arrow landing hard enough to shear the main gear support bolts off the wing, didn't break the wing off itself.)

All I can say is that for a nun, you sure seem to have a lot of disposable income, Sister. ;)

Referring back to my other thread (http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52617) about losing the SR20 I was flying and the option to maybe get a multi rating in an inexpensive Geronimo:

Well, the MEI I was going to use, and have flown with in the past, is going to the airlines soon. Also, in talking to various folks around the airport I've heard that the maintenance on the Geronimo may or may not be what some would consider adequate. And the Arrow, someone landed hard and sheared off half of the bolts attaching the left main gear to the wing spar.

So, off I go looking for options. Turns out there's a guy that owns a Bonanza G36 with all the Garmin goodies. Awesome! But I need to be IR to fly it solo and it's $260/hr dry. But he's an instructor, DPE, ATP, ex-AF, etc. and has a C172 that I could do the IR in. His aircraft are pristine - not a lick of dirt or oil in the Bo's engine bay. Then just for ****s and giggles, he's got a Baron G58 and a Seminole (for ME training).

My dilemma (setting aside that I'm not IR): get a short check-out in the $190/hr SR22 that is available or go for the Bo? From a dollar perspective it's a no-brainer. But, Lord have mercy, that Bo is nice.

Of course I could just stick to the beater 110 KT C172 for $65/hr.
Wow that sounds an awful lot like an airport close to me. But your profile says KLOU. I guess it cant be. I love Bo's

Why must it be an "or?"

True. Options are always good.

All I can say is that for a nun, you sure seem to have a lot of disposable income, Sister. ;)

What's the saying... "A (flying) fool and his money..." Seriously, besides the mortgage and a small car loan, I am debt free. The only other big expense is having one child in a private school. That and renting Bonanzas. :D

It sounds like you've done your homework and already know what you want to fly.

The standard decision tree applies:

1. Do I like it?
2. Do I want it?
3. Do I need it?
4. Can I afford it?

Answer all of the above, and you'll have your answer custom-made for you! :)

My only time in a Bo was a short flight in the Debbie in Lincoln, with Jesse and Jason, and I can see the appeal. Never been in a Cirrus. I'm not a fan of plastic airplanes, if given the choice.

What's the saying... "A (flying) fool and his money..." Seriously, besides the mortgage and a small car loan, I am debt free. The only other big expense is having one child in a private school. That and renting Bonanzas. :D
Sorry, Sister -- maybe my age is showing, but a nun with children? :confused:

She sure chose an expensive Habit!

Of course you're just being punny but perhaps you should ask yourself if that's a habit you really want to develop?

1. Do I like it?
2. Do I want it?
3. Do I need it?
4. Can I afford it?

For some reason, the answer to number three for me in Aviation (and quite a few other things) is always no so I just skip that question. ;)

Cheers

Sorry, Sister -- maybe my age is showing, but a nun with children? :confused:

Well, I'm neither a nun nor a woman. But I am bit contrary and I always liked that Sally Field TV show.

Bo's are incredibly fine flying machines. As is the Cirrus. I'd do both...give yourself more options. The 22 will be simple checkout with your 20 time. The Bo will be a delightful change of pace from the Cirrus......like going from a sedan into a very big SUV!

So that's how she did it!

flying-nun.jpg

It just goes to show you can't believe anything you read on the interwebs.

Bo's are incredibly fine flying machines. As is the Cirrus. I'd do both...give yourself more options. The 22 will be simple checkout with your 20 time. The Bo will be a delightful change of pace from the Cirrus......like going from a sedan into a very big SUV!

The 22 requires a HP endorsement (310HP NA/315HP Turbo vs 200HP)and I head on PoA about a guy that got his HP in the Cirrus was restricted by the instructor to Cirrus only (wonder if that a Cirrus Standardized Transition thing?)

1. Do I like it?
2. Do I want it?
3. Do I need it?
4. Can I afford it?

My only time in a Bo was a short flight in the Debbie in Lincoln, with Jesse and Jason, and I can see the appeal. Never been in a Cirrus. I'm not a fan of plastic airplanes, if given the choice.

Don't know what you're missing mang.

The 22 requires a HP endorsement (310HP NA/315HP Turbo vs 200HP)and I head on PoA about a guy that got his HP in the Cirrus was restricted by the instructor to Cirrus only (wonder if that a Cirrus Standardized Transition thing?)

Strange that he would be restricted to Cirri. I did learn today, however, that I need 60 more hours TT per their insurance for the 22. Boo hoo!

I flew the G3 SR20 instead. Was pretty sweet with the G1000 and EVS. Practiced S-turns on final so as not to run up the tailpipe of the slowpoke Skyhawk. :wink2:

Ah well, the Bo is still in the race.

60 more hours! Geez, you could get a PP in 40 if you had your own 22.

Per insurance, 150 TT + 10 in type. I just need to fly more.

Those seem like pretty modest requirements. Just this week someone with more time than that ran our SR20 off the end of our 2,700' runway and into a fence...barely missing a car as he slid across the airport road. Said the brakes failed but the tower saw smoke coming from the flat-spotted tires and Feds determined brakes were working fine.

Perplexing part is winds were calm and the 4000' and 5500' parallels were available, but would have required another 60 seconds in the pattern and he was renting.

Those seem like pretty modest requirements. Just this week someone with more time than that ran our SR20 off the end of our 2,700' runway and into a fence...barely missing a car as he slid across the airport road. Said the brakes failed but the tower saw smoke coming from the flat-spotted tires and Feds determined brakes were working fine.

Perplexing part is winds were calm and the 4000' and 5500' parallels were available, but would have required another 60 seconds in the pattern and he was renting.

Ouch! The shortest runway I've put it on is 3,600'. I put it on the numbers and got off about halfway down at the controller's request. But if you're not on top of it, I've seen how easily it can get away from you. Just yesterday I flared a little high a floated halfway down a 5,500' runway.

Control thy speed on final

But I suppose I'm preaching to the choir.

Back