I made it...

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
...out of The Killing Zone without incident.

OK, I'll bite: what is the killing zone?

Oh!

500 hours, right?

Good for you, Ed. I managed to stumble through it a little while ago, in spite of myself.

Fly on, and remember: lighted runways are for *******.

Well, then, there's no question why I am safe; I haven't a clue when to worry! (grin)

I think the killing zone is 50-350hrs according to some author.

I've heard all sorts of numbers and the CFI/DE at our field said he thought it was about 250-500 after I said it was like 300-500. Who knows.

Here's a study based on geography...

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/155/5/398

This power point presentation only has a 0-500 hr bin as the highest accident occurrence vs. experience category

http://www.cgar.org/downloads/June2006/CGAR accident slides final 2006.ppt

Interestingly, it indicates accidents due to continued VFR into IMC is decreasing and accidents due to loss of aircraft control is increasing over calendar time (not pilot experience). Are planes getting more complicated or are pilots becoming less capable? hmmmm

Attachments

• P1010019.JPG
    P1010019.JPG
    707.2 KB · Views: 33
Congratulations! May you always keep learning... and the big fan keep turning!

BTW, in the book, The Killing Zone, it's the authors contention that it's 50 to 350 hrs. This is from getting the PP (no longer under a CFI's guidance) to enough time to have survived (and learned from) a few stupid pilot tricks. He continually shows graphs through the book showing a dramatic drop-off of the death rate (toll?) beyond 350 hrs.

Interestingly, it indicates accidents due to continued VFR into IMC is decreasing and accidents due to loss of aircraft control is increasing over calendar time (not pilot experience). Are planes getting more complicated or are pilots becoming less capable? hmmmm

I would guess it's because pilots are flying less often. Since they're flying less often, they are a bit more cautious wrt weather, etc. But, since they're flying less often, they're losing basic stick and rudder skills. (Assuming the loss of control accidents are primarily occurring during the landing or takeoff phase) Flying less often probably due to increased costs. If user fees come along, it will only make it worse..... :( Or, it could be due to the aging pilot population. Just guesses.

...out of The Killing Zone without incident.
That means no more Braille 24 approaches? And not much more of the "Well I didn't get killed last time I must be doing something right?......"

Ed, we love you, but G_d Ed, you're a CFI. That's the height of st__pidity. But, glad you made it....and don't take this too seriously. We just want to see you again, at 6Y9!

That means no more Braille 24 approaches? And not much more of the "Well I didn't get killed last time I must be doing something right?......"

Ed, we love you, but G_d Ed, you're a CFI. That's the height of st__pidity. But, glad you made it....and don't take this too seriously. We just want to see you again, at 6Y9!

To quote someone you might know...

*sigh* :D

Seriously, it wasn't that dark, I could read the instrument panel without having the panel lights on.

Great pics, Tom and Chip! but I have a question for each of you... Why were you so high? It isn't mtn flying until you are looking UP at them! lol

Like this

Attachments

• Cascade Mt pictures 002.jpg
    Cascade Mt pictures 002.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Cascade Mt pictures 011.jpg
    Cascade Mt pictures 011.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 15
a who....a wha...? :dunno:

LOL, I can see your response. I offer to show you how it looked while up at 6Y9, but I know you'll probably decline. Keep in mind, I was landing light and tight. My approach speed was about 60mph (I can fly S&L at 45mph at that weight) and my base turn has me about 1/3 of the way from the goalposts to the bluff, and I fly the downwind leg, right over the power lines to the south.

Would I do it in a Seneca or Bo?

OH.............HELL............NO!

Back