I made a silly mistake.

Bonanza

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bonanza
Recently I visited Hollister in Central California. I picked up my IFR clearance on the ground and was cleared ditect PATYY intersection then as filed. I entered the flight plan in the Garmin 530, took off and merrily followed the magenta line. The controller asked if I was routing direct PATYY and I confirmed I was (this should have been my first clue). After a few minutes the controller asked my heading (second clue) and suggested I turned left by 100 degrees vectors for PATYY. Being astute in these matters I realized all was not well and started checking.
I had mistakenly entered PATTY (not PATYY) in the GPS, this being an intersection in Puerto Rico some 2000 nm away.
I guess I had just become too complacent, too reliant on the magic magenta line and basically careless.
On my recent trip to Texas I was back to tuning the VOR's as a cross check to the GPS and checking the mileage on the GPS flight plan against my flight log. All things I used to do religiously every time I flew.
A salutory lesson learned, thankfully without any catastrophic consequences, just some hurt pride and a sore butt from kicking myself for the next few days.
Stephen.

Bonanza said:
Recently I visited Hollister in Central California. I picked up my IFR clearance on the ground and was cleared ditect PATYY intersection then as filed. I entered the flight plan in the Garmin 530, took off and merrily followed the magenta line. The controller asked if I was routing direct PATYY and I confirmed I was (this should have been my first clue). After a few minutes the controller asked my heading (second clue) and suggested I turned left by 100 degrees vectors for PATYY. Being astute in these matters I realized all was not well and started checking.
I had mistakenly entered PATTY (not PATYY) in the GPS, this being an intersection in Puerto Rico some 2000 nm away.
I guess I had just become too complacent, too reliant on the magic magenta line and basically careless.
On my recent trip to Texas I was back to tuning the VOR's as a cross check to the GPS and checking the mileage on the GPS flight plan against my flight log. All things I used to do religiously every time I flew.
A salutory lesson learned, thankfully without any catastrophic consequences, just some hurt pride and a sore butt from kicking myself for the next few days.
Stephen.

Thus do we learn to never be complacent. And thus do we learn the value of pilotage even whilst using fancy new technology. Your posterior will heal eventually. :)

Judy

File an ASRS report. No, not to keep your nose clean, but because it is an ongoing database and by filing the report you will help the system.

It was a mistake similar to this (an FMS programming error) that lead an American Airlines flight into a mountain in South American a few years back. Very glad the controller and you caught that quickly.

A good story, thanks for sharing.

Let's all be real careful up there.

Jeff

I think the description of yourself as "careless" is a little harsh. You obviously are not. We all get a little complacent from time to time, and with the attitude most of have, like your's, we not only learn from our own mistakes, but other pilot's mistakes as well. To me, that doesn't fit the description of careless.

Jim

I had an experience that was close, but not quite. The fix I had programmed incorrectly was in the middle of the trip, so no wrong heading got filed, but the trip time that should have been about 2 hours for some reason was over twenty, guess that leg to California from Michigan is a bit time consuming DOH!!!!! I would have been a little light on fuel too.....DOUBLE DOH!!!!

Richard said:
File an ASRS report. No, not to keep your nose clean, but because it is an ongoing database and by filing the report you will help the system.
I did file one next day, not because I thought there was any danger of an action against me but because they might just see a trend which might save a life in the future.
Stephen.

Phil Boyer at one of his town meetings related a story of a pilot flying west out of Wyoming. The pilot transposed two letters in his destination GPS waypoint and the autopilot took him direct to that point as the pilot remained blissfully unaware--even though he had indications that he was off course. He never made it to the waypoint because he ran out of fuel long before his intended arrival.

In this case, I don't think it was complacency but a strong tendency to rely on a system which has been touted to be precise and accurate. While I was studying for using the 430 one CFI responded to my question, "How to ensure pushing the right buttons in the right sequence?" by simply saying, "Don't push the wrong buttons." Nothing about after the fact or cross checking with other instruments, etc.

Bonanza said:
Stephen.
I almost made that same type of mistake myself once too. It was just at the last minute on the hold short line that I caught it. Been there almost done that too. :goofy: :goofy: :goofy:

Richard said:
In this case, I don't think it was complacency but a strong tendency to rely on a system which has been touted to be precise and accurate. While I was studying for using the 430 one CFI responded to my question, "How to ensure pushing the right buttons in the right sequence?" by simply saying, "Don't push the wrong buttons." Nothing about after the fact or cross checking with other instruments, etc.

Which is precisely why I load the #2 Nav with the VOR frequency on the KSSF VOR/GPS approach. If the GPS doesn't sequence (for example, if you forgot to re-activate the approach after flying the published missed), the VOR is loaded and ready to go.

The chances of making an error go up as you arrive home from a long trip in IMC.

Richard said:
Phil Boyer at one of his town meetings related a story of a pilot flying west out of Wyoming. The pilot transposed two letters in his destination GPS waypoint and the autopilot took him direct to that point as the pilot remained blissfully unaware--even though he had indications that he was off course. He never made it to the waypoint because he ran out of fuel long before his intended arrival.

Like I said.......

Judy

What is the icon for raising your hand, 'me, me'.

"TOBE" and "TODDY" both somewhere in S Colorado. It could be someone prounounces them wrong (sender or recipient) and although they are close to each other, mixing them up gives a controller somewhere heartburn bigtime. It's getting like people are doing with the tens altitudes, you know; "one-one, eleven thousand" ......"cleared direct TOBE, Tango Oscar Bravo Echo" spell them all out now.
Don't even bring up button-pushing... grrr.

Stephen;

I remember the first time I flew IFR with the GPS and moving maps. I learned so well that the dial on these is so sensative and will pass so easly what you want. At the hold line or at the ramp we all want to "read back" so quick and concise without thinkiing of the little things. The first time I dialed in some far off place and looked at the distance. I had to turn it off to clear it and started all over again. Yup I flew the trip with lots of IFR Charts backed up by VFR Charts and logs. I still fly even now knowing all these buttons on the GPS as so wonderfull as all the ads tell me but I fly with two charts in my lap IFR and VFR plus the approach plates. I am still questioning all of this electronic stuff for I know that I am the person that loads in the data. So it takes time and a longer "Readback" to make sure it is right. Even after all the years I have flown I am still a "Student' learning and listening>

John J

Richard said:
I think you have hit the nail on the head. Anyone can push a wrong button, but we all have the ability to cross check and when something doesn't seem quite right to sort out the discrepancy before it becomes a dangerous issue.
Stephen.

Let'sgoflying! said:
"TOBE" and "TODDY" both somewhere in S Colorado. It could be someone prounounces them wrong (sender or recipient) and although they are close to each other, mixing them up gives a controller somewhere heartburn bigtime. It's getting like people are doing with the tens altitudes, you know; "one-one, eleven thousand" ......"cleared direct TOBE, Tango Oscar Bravo Echo" spell them all out now.
ELJAY in western Nebraska is close enough to ELWAY in central Colorado to get them confused.

I've noticed that within the past year or two the controllers have become quite clear about saying "Las Vegas, Nevada" (LAS) to differentiate it from Las Vegas, New Mexico (LVS). There are some other VOR pairs in the country that have the same name too.

Everskyward said:
ELJAY in western Nebraska is close enough to ELWAY in central Colorado to get them confused..

Well, Duh, everybody knows that Elway is near Denver.

Bonanza said:
Stephen.

One of the features on the KLN-94 I like is that when you enter a waypoint (for direct to dest, or as part of a flight plan) it brings up a "conformation page" that shows the full name, location, direction and distance, giving the user a pretty good chance of catching an error like this one.

one thing I do to quickly check that I've entered my flight plan correctly on the Garmin 530 is to zoom out very far. You can then see if the magenta line for the whole trip looks like expected.

I agree with both of you on your posts. I too fly the KLN 94. The confirmation page is nice, but for waypoints, you have lat and longitute as identifiers. Darned if I recognize them. Airports and VORs are great though, and easily identified.

I have found, much like the poster with the Garmin unit, that scaling out to make sure the path looks right is a simple cross check also. Load the flight plan, check the flight plan, depart.

I once put a K in front of a non-K requiring airport identifier. Won't make that mistake again :redface:

Jim G

wsuffa said:
Well, Duh, everybody knows that Elway is near Denver.
Oh yeah, the guy who has the car dealerships. ;)

There I was, following the magenta line when I saw it doubling back on itself. Oops, seems like someone had dyslexia when they typed in the next VOR ident.

At least we have magenta lines now which is a nice new addition. :yes:

Which is one of the reasons I went away from the default text box displays on the 430 main nav screen. I have ETA, GS, and Distance displayed in the main nav window. Seeing a WP distance of 2000nm would be starting at me in the face from the get go. Not to sound harsh, but I still fail to see how mindlessly following the magenta line can happen. I always double and triple check before I push the enter button. Radios don't fly the plane, you do.

N2212R said:
Not to sound harsh, but I still fail to see how mindlessly following the magenta line can happen. I always double and triple check before I push the enter button. Radios don't fly the plane, you do.
That is exactly what I would have said a while back, and precisely why I posted this and exposed myself to comments such as yours. "It could never happen to me" is one of the worst attitudes in aviation. A small distraction, a moment of thoughtlessness and it can and will happen - even to perfect pilots.
I really appreciate that most of the posters have said "There but for the grace of God..." and will maybe as a result of this discussion be more likely to take that little extra care.
Stephen.

Bonanza said:
That is exactly what I would have said a while back, and precisely why I posted this and exposed myself to comments such as yours. "It could never happen to me" is one of the worst attitudes in aviation. A small distraction, a moment of thoughtlessness and it can and will happen - even to perfect pilots.
I really appreciate that most of the posters have said "There but for the grace of God..." and will maybe as a result of this discussion be more likely to take that little extra care.
Stephen.

I guess I just over check the GPS since getting a routing from a controller that took me 130 SE of my then current position when I was heading NW. On readbacks I spell the intersection, I don't read it. Just a quirk I have that should prevent punching in the wrong intersection.

Coming in on a STAR once, I made the same mistake. Caught it when the direction and distance didn't look right. On all intersections that have the lat. long. on the chart under them, I confirm with that. Also, look at the direction and distance. Usually have the VOR on a nearby station and check for general direction and distance.

Lot's of folks make mistakes, the professional folks catch 'em quickly.

Best,

Dave

I've done it too, sigh.

It taught me to always give the flight plan page a hard look before I start navigating.

However, there is a more importnat lesson here. When you said your first clue should have been that the controller asked you a question about your route, you could not have been more correct.

It took about 20 times for me to have a controller tell me things like...to make a left turn to 190 when I was flying 180 and me shrugging it off without asking the obvious question, WTF?...before I learned to question ANYTHING that makes you wonder...why would he ask me / tell me that...NOW.

Now, anytime my brain says WTF, I get it sorted out immediately. Sometimes I feel weird doing it...like the other day I was cleared to 'climb and maintain 8,000' and started climbing. At 7,950 and controller calls and says, "310RG climb and maintain 8,000." WTF? I replied, "310RG has reached 8,000 and is level." To which the controller just said, "thanks." But having made my point, if he was showing me lower, or something, I wanted to know it.

Finally, this post is an excellent lesson in why it is always, always, always a good idea to back up GPS with VOR's wherever possible -- which this case was. I know its a pain, and in truth, if I'm tired I don't do it....trying to force myself to do it is my current self-dicipline-goal. ;)

Everskyward said:
Oh yeah, the guy who has the car dealerships. ;)
Well, his name's on the dealership, but he doesn't own them anymore. They were bought by Wayne Huizinga of Republic Industries a while back.

RobertGerace said:
I've done it too, sigh.

Finally, this post is an excellent lesson in why it is always, always, always a good idea to back up GPS with VOR's wherever possible -- which this case was. I know its a pain, and in truth, if I'm tired I don't do it....trying to force myself to do it is my current self-dicipline-goal. ;)
That was exactly the purpose of the original post.
Stephen.

RobertGerace said:
Now, anytime my brain says WTF, I get it sorted out immediately.
Me too. You can try very hard to be careful but it's unrealistic to think you're never going to make a mistake. The trick is to catch it before you can do any damage. Even if you happen to be a perfect individual there are other people involved; the controllers, the people that work on your airplane, your flying buddy if you're flying as a crew, etc.

Back