I love my DA20, but ..........

N5922S

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
N5922S
.... the IO240-B has developed a serious personality disorder; to wit:

1. Fuel pressure (?) problem: ran perfectly for 1400+ hours; at the last annual, A&P noticed a fuel leak and sent the engine-driven fuel pump in to have a seal replaced. After re-installing the pump, he went thru the set-up, twice, EXACTLY BY THE BOOK. It still runs rough at low RPMs (<1300) and dies at idle (950) unless the aux pump is on. :dunno:

2. Oil pressure problem(s): numerous times in the last few years, the oil pressure relief valve piston apparently sticks open, causing very low oil pressure after the engine starts to warm up. Never saw any contamination, but it always works normally after being re-installed. Last time, we cleaned the piston with Scotch-Brite and had no problem for nearly a year, but now the problem is back :mad2: . Any suggestions? p.s. the springs are very strong and the piston appears pristine. I use Exxon Elite.

There will be a prize for the first correct answer.

Thanks,
Jim

Unfortunately the dearth of responses demonstrates the dilemma you face owning something out of the box like this. You have to find someone who specializes in this niche market. If it were an O-540 you'd already have two dozen responses that would admittedly probably be all over the map but at least you'd have them.

I would replace both parts, 1,400 hours can be a long time for some parts. For the fuel pump, the seal failure could have been caused by wear in another part. For the relief valve sticking, scotch brighting a piston sounds penny wise pound foolish. Your life depends on that engine at certain times during your flying.

Just my inexperienced, non mechanic, but mechanical engineering view. I would try fixes like that for my lawn mower, not my airplane. Even for my car, I just buy a new part now, not worth the aggravation of getting stranded.

I would replace both parts, 1,400 hours can be a long time for some parts. For the fuel pump, the seal failure could have been caused by wear in another part. For the relief valve sticking, scotch brighting a piston sounds penny wise pound foolish. Your life depends on that engine at certain times during your flying.

Just my inexperienced, non mechanic, but mechanical engineering view. I would try fixes like that for my lawn mower, not my airplane. Even for my car, I just buy a new part now, not worth the aggravation of getting stranded.

Good advice.

Yes, you're right. New parts on order:yes:.

Yes, you're right. New parts on order:yes:.

I hope it works out for you. For what it's worth, I still find myself fixing stuff that I should just replace, usually it results in me doing a job twice. Good Luck.

Back