I lost my bride this morning.

Bob Bement

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Bement
She passed quietly away this morning. She is not in pain any more. Thanks to all of you For your support, concern and for just being there.

Attachments

• Essie in the airplane (1024x768).jpg
    Essie in the airplane (1024x768).jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 250
I'm so sorry Bob. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

She passed quietly away this morning. She is not in pain any more. Thanks to all of you For your support, concern and for just being there.

So sorry to hear this, Bob.

thats tough - I see what my MIL is going through - sorry for your loss.

Though I have never met your bride or you, I am saddened to read of her passing.

I hope some day we'll have a chance to meet.

Mr. Bement, may God Bless and comfort you. I cannot fathom how you must feel. I've been married to the same lady 48 years, and I don't know how I would handle her going. I guess, just one day at a time.

Jim

Sorry to hear that Bob.

End of life situations are the toughest things we can go through, losing a loving spouse is the worst. I feel for you man.

Hang in there. Take a walk, get some exercise, make sure you take good care of yourself as the stress level you are in is pretty high.

May your bride find the peace and rest she deserves also. She sure looked like she enjoyed flying with you.

If you can tell us about that flight and the flying memories you have. Love to hear them.

Last edited:
The title of your post "my bride" after 60 years tells us all the love you felt for her.
I am so very sorry for you and your family.
You are in my family's prayers.

Bless your heart. I'm so sorry for your loss. May God be with you during this difficult time. Prayers headed your way.

So sorry for your loss. It's nice to hear she is no longer in pain.

Bob, I am very sorry to hear about Essie. I hope you can take some comfort in the fact that you and Essie were able to reach some great milestones this summer. May you be granted peace and comfort in the comming days.

Sorry for your loss. Take good care and we will be here if you need someone to chat with online or cell: 606 - three one six - 9020.

I'm so sorry for your loss. In an age when the average marriage doesn't last 60 months, your marriage is to be celebrated. My deepest condolences to you and your family.

Bob, I'm so sorry to hear about Essie ... I've so enjoyed coming to "know" you and her through the boards. You're in my thoughts.

I am so sorry for your loss.

From your writings here, it was clear that you had something very special.

As painful as it may be tonight.....think of all the joy and laughter you would have missed had you not met her at all.....hang on to all those wonderful memories and blessings you shared together, keep them close to your heart.....

thoughts and prayers to you

Oh Bob. I'm so sorry for your loss. I call my bride of 29 years my bride, so the title of this thread tells me a lot about you.

God bless you.

I really suck at condolences and all and I honestly don't know you, but I am sorry to hear that, and I hope you pick things up and keep driving on.

Bob, I am sad for your loss. I never got a chance to meet Essie but I did get to meet you. If she had half the life and compassion in her that you have, she must have been an incredible and wonderful person. Treasure your memories.

Hey Bob sorry to hear about your loss. Take care.

Bob:

The love and devotion you have so openly expressed for Essie are a model for each and all of us. I grieve with you for your loss.

Called to glory, Amen!

Sorry to hear that Bob.

End of life situations are the toughest things we can go through, losing a loving spouse is the worst. I feel for you man.

Hang in there. Take a walk, get some exercise, make sure you take good care of yourself as the stress level you are in is pretty high.

May your bride find the peace and rest she deserves also. She sure looked like she enjoyed flying with you.

If you can tell us about that flight and the flying memories you have. Love to hear them.

I think I told the story of this trip this picture was taken. Two old friends came up from Las Vegas and we took a flight into Big Creek for breakfast. I will post some pictures .

Attachments

• gord's pictures 1335 (800x600).jpg
    gord's pictures 1335 (800x600).jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 89
  • gord's pictures 1331 (800x600).jpg
    gord's pictures 1331 (800x600).jpg
    350 KB · Views: 92
  • gord's pictures 1329 (1024x768).jpg
    gord's pictures 1329 (1024x768).jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Sorry for your loss, Bob. You and Essie are in our thoughts this evening...

Sent from my Nexus 7

The video.

Search Youtube.com for this video. I can't seem to post it.

Big Creek, a Landing with Essie, Polly and Gordy.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that Bob.

It was burried in my flying rambling stories. If you missed it here it is again.

Re: Bob's Ramblings from the PB.
Back in the early 50s when we were going to Vale H.S. Essie lived in a little town called Brogan. Brogan is about 25 miles North of Vale, and she rode the Brogan Bus, that was driven by her father Denny Burke. Polly Boston also rode the bus, and lived just down the road at Jamieson. They rode the bus together for all four years of H.S. It is no wonder that they became life long friends.
Now Polly, and her husband Gordy, live in Las Vagas, but Polly's sister Barbara, Lives in Ontario. When they fly up to visit her Sister, Polly and Gordy call to see if VALE AIR, as he calls it, can fly to Boise and retrieve them to Ontario. So on several occasions Essie and I have flown into Boise and picked them up and we always stop in Caldwell, ID. for breakfast. The little cafe right on the airport there has a ham steak meal that I would put up against any in the country. The ham steak comes on one plate and the eggs, hash browns, toast comes on another plate, and all of the hot coffee you can drink. That is what we do each time they call, as Polly's sister and her husband can't drive to Boise anymore because of their age and health.
One time when they came up, we scheduled a flight into Big Creek, ID. for one of the days they were to be visiting her sister. This flight was on August 6, 2006, and this was before the Big Creek Lodge burned down. Big creek was my favorite place in the world to fly into. The mountain peaks around the landing strip are around 9500 FT. MSL and the runway is tucked in a little fold in the mountain at 5743 ft. There is a hog back ridge that makes the runway impossible to see until you are going from base to final. I find that it is better to go down the canyon a few miles, make a canyon turn and make a long straight in final, when I land there. The day we choose was a great day except there was a little smoke, as they had been having a few summer timber fires. Essie and I left Vale and stopped in Ontario to pick up Polly and Gordy. The girls sat in back and Gordy acted as co-pilot. Our route of flight took us out between Payette and Weiser, ID. and then over Cascade Reservoir and the little town of Donnelly, just a little NW of the little town of Yellow Pine, over the top of Profile Mountain and down the canyon to Big Creek (U60). The runway is 3550 X 110 but you have to watch for water sprinklers on the runway, as they sprinkle half at a time and land on the rest. We had a good flight in and a lot of conversation about the beauty, and the ruggedness of the granite mountain tops. There are very few places that a pilot could put a plane down, in an emergency situation. You had better have your plane in excellent condition or not head toward the back country. We flew over the landing strip and gave a call to traffic on 122.9 and continued on down the canyon a ways. I slowed it down to about 100 and got two notches of flaps. I slowed to 80 and made a bank to the left to turn around in the canyon. I had been trying to teach my wife Essie how to land the plane in case something happened to me. She made a comment that she didn't think she could make that canyon turn. I told her she needed more practice. Polly and Gordy said in unison, " NOT HERE NOT NOW". My altitude now was about 6000 ft. We flew back up the canyon and landed on 19 but since there is only grass the number is not on the runway. I just know it is 19. This runway is flat for a ways and then goes up hill to some degree. We parked and took some pictures and walked to the lodge and got some breakfast. This lodge was built in about 1932 and was just a treasure of an old building with a large old homemade wood stove in one room and the tables, where we ate in another room. At one time the lodge was the post office and the large desk with the pigeon holes for mail were still there. They had an assortment of caps and sweat shirts and the girls had to get a sweat shirt. We had a nice breakfast and some good conversation with some other pilots and guests. The breakfast if just what they are making that morning. No ordering of the menu. You tell them how many and that is all. I think as I remember that they had sausage and eggs, hash browns, pancakes, OJ. and coffee. You can expect to pay $10- 12 for breakfast in the back country as they have to fly in supplies. We had a great time and Essie and Polly picked right up where they had left off last time they had been together. We had a great flight back to ONO to drop them off and return to Vale. Did I tell you that I love to FLY?~~~

The video.

Search Youtube.com for this video. I can't seem to post it.

Big Creek, a Landing with Essie, Polly and Gordy.

This one? I got a chuckle out of the "You need another lesson." "Not here!" exchange. Who was that?

Edit: Jeepers I have lousy timing - I see you just related the story behind the video a few moments before I posted.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting my video of this trip. I had trouble trying to get it to post.

Thanks for posting my video of this trip. I had trouble trying to get it to post.

Did you get the other lesson? :lol:

Good times Bob, great memories. Great video! Bug splatters and all! You do love to fly! :lol:

At the end of the day memories are all we have. Hopefully, the peace you can find in the memories of Bear Creek will ease the pain of loss. Moving forward one step at a time Bob, your family and friends are counting on you for strength.

I really enjoyed your write up! What a trip and what a great destination airport. Did they ever rebuild after the fire?

Last edited:
Back