I Like This Kid! Great Prank!

K

KennyFlys

Student Suspended Over Stadium Prank

A high school student who tricked football fans from a crosstown rival into holding up signs that together spelled out, "We Suck," was suspended for the prank, students said.

Kyle Garchar, a senior at Hilliard Davidson High School in suburban Columbus, said he spent about 20 hours over three days plotting the trick, which was captured on video and posted on the video-sharing Web site YouTube. He said he was inspired by a similar prank pulled by Yale students in 2004, when Harvard fans were duped into holding up cards with the same message.
At the end of the video, Garchar wryly thanks the 800 Hilliard Darby High School supporters who raised the cards at the start of the third quarter during last Friday's football game.
YouTube Video

I think the kid was brilliant to do this. It was good, clean fun. To suspend this kid is as stupid as banning tag during recess.

Agreed. Why do people get all bent out of shape about stuff that is fun to do and doesn't hurt anybody?

Somebody once welded the gates of Harvard yard with thermite. It was not me of course...

I heard about this outstanding prank this morning on a local talk show.

To suspend this student for being able to think, put a plan together and execute said plan is silly beyond belief. I thought education was all about being able to solve problems? :dunno:

The amount of planning and orchestration required to make that work...I had easier projects in college!

This took place right up the street from my house. The kid lives a few doors away. I felt bad for him when he got the suspension. It was good clean fun. Stupid Zero Tolerance policies!

Leonard, give him my regards and let him know he has support for his creativity.

I think most everyone on here would be comfortable telling him that we think his principal sucks, too. :yes::cheerswine:

The principal has been taking a lot of heat over this but keeps refering back to the Student Conduct Policy and the fact they have zero tolerance to any violation of this policy.

Suspension? Now that's gotta hurt a whole bunch!
Ya gotta do whatever ya gotta do to get out of school for a while...

Is it just me, or do these insane school suspension policies make no sense to all of you too?

When I was in school, if we screwed up, we got detention, not suspension. Detention, as in, sit your ass down and study quietly by yourself for a couple hours after school every day for a week (I don't think I ever got more than a week). No extra-curriculars, no talking to your friends (it sure wasn't "The Breakfast Club" when I went through it), just a miserable couple hours of doing homework or a "special assignment". The only times I remember people getting suspended was for fighting, and usually only on a repeat offense for that.

Suspension is the easy way out for the teachers and school admins, and does absolutely nothing to teach discipline, especially for completely harmless pranks like this one. I bet 99% of the kids who get suspended spend the day watching TV. What's the punishment in that? All it does is make it hard on the parents, who usually have to scramble to figure out what they're going to do with junior while (in many situations) the parents are supposed to be at their own jobs.

Jeff

So... what exactly in the student conduct code makes this an offense? I want to know the exact reason he received the in-school suspension.

Would he have received the same punishment if the cards spelled out "Davidson Rules"? If not, I think the punishment is uncalled for.

Is it just me, or do these insane school suspension policies make no sense to all of you too?

When I was in school, if we screwed up, we got detention, not suspension. Detention, as in, sit your ass down and study quietly by yourself for a couple hours after school every day for a week (I don't think I ever got more than a week). No extra-curriculars, no talking to your friends (it sure wasn't "The Breakfast Club" when I went through it), just a miserable couple hours of doing homework or a "special assignment". The only times I remember people getting suspended was for fighting, and usually only on a repeat offense for that.

Suspension is the easy way out for the teachers and school admins, and does absolutely nothing to teach discipline, especially for completely harmless pranks like this one. I bet 99% of the kids who get suspended spend the day watching TV. What's the punishment in that? All it does is make it hard on the parents, who usually have to scramble to figure out what they're going to do with junior while (in many situations) the parents are supposed to be at their own jobs.

Jeff

To clarify, Kyle got in-school suspension, which is a fancy term for "all day detention", plus he's banned from extracurriculars for a semester.

So... what exactly in the student conduct code makes this an offense? I want to know the exact reason he received the in-school suspension.

Would he have received the same punishment if the cards spelled out "Davidson Rules"? If not, I think the punishment is uncalled for.

The principal said he told his students he expected them to show good "sportsmanship" at the game. Evidently he saw this is "bad" sportsmanship.

Here is a video clip from on of the local news places about it:

http://www.wkyc.com/video/news/features/americatoday.aspx?aid=42187&bw=

Really, he isn't even worried about his punishment, but it is severe for someone who has never been in trouble before.

Part of the problem is that as parents we allow the "outraged" minority to make more noise than the amused majority. I see it at my kids' school all the time. One or two parents are outraged that bobby is too slow to play tag, so they lobby to outlaw tag. The other 99% of us just shake our heads and do nothing to bring some common sense to the discussion.

This was a great prank. We really do need to lighten up and stop taking it all so seriously. Obviously the parents there need to help the school administration do the same.

The principal said he told his students he expected them to show good "sportsmanship" at the game. Evidently he saw this is "bad" sportsmanship.

Boy, have we gone overboard with THIS concept. One of our high school rivals is the town where Tyson Chicken is based. The town has always been known as "chickentown" or some such. At a home basketball game against them the student section all put KFC buckets on their heads during the player introductions. I laughed my ass off. The administration was "outraged" at the bad sportsmanship. Give me a break.

Len, thanks for the news link. It sounds like the community isn't so fond of this principal. His principles seem to be a bit twisted. But, they love the kids who did the prank. So do I! I hope a college looks at this as a positive on interviews.

The kid's a shoe in for any job opening for a political strategist. Leading the other side willingly into self-destruction is what politics is all about.

Suspension or not Kyle is going to do just fine in life. Funny as hell.

No kidding! This took some big brains and even bigger...well...you know, to pull off. Sure the suspension sucks for him, but I'd bet he's going to come out the other end of this no worse for wear.

Back