I know what I want to build...

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
I have over 200 hrs logged in the RV-7A that my dad and I built several years ago. He is working on a RV-10 now, but I haven't been able to help with this one NEARLY as much as on the -7A.

After the tedious build process with the wings on the -7A, I was nearly convinced that building wasn't in my future.

BUT...... after spending the past 3 years in office-type jobs (a far cry from my operating and maintaining heavy machinery earlier in life), and after spending several hours at the Boone RV Day a couple of weekends ago, I have been bitten by the builder bug. I think me being stuffed in an office environment for the past 3 years has caused my 'get your hands dirty' mentality to become disgruntled and it's looking for a way out..

I have the perfect plan worked out ;) : Build and maintain a RV 'Super' 8 (increased performance over the 'regular' 8, yet cheaper to insure than the Rocket) as a weekend 'fun' plane and solo-traveler and look for access for a 'station-wagon' traveler to rent for family-style cross-country flying.

So..... Anyone know of an IFR Lance that rents for $50/hr wet that I can use as my station wagon?? :D :D

BUT...... after spending the past 3 years in office-type jobs (a far cry from my operating and maintaining heavy machinery earlier in life), and after spending several hours at the Boone RV Day a couple of weekends ago, I have been bitten by the builder bug. I think me being stuffed in an office environment for the past 3 years has caused my 'get your hands dirty' mentality to become disgruntled and it's looking for a way out..
Same thing for me. I work in a virtual world most of the time and have for years. I absolutely love stepping away and doing something mechanical in my free time.

Same thing for me. I work in a virtual world most of the time and have for years. I absolutely love stepping away and doing something mechanical in my free time.

Here, here. When I was working on my RV-7 tail kit, it was the most enjoyable activity, because it was NOT computers...

So..... Anyone know of an IFR Lance that rents for $50/hr wet that I can use as my station wagon?? :D :D

The 182RG at Ames is about as close as you're gonna get to that. :yes: That's a great airplane for a great rate.

I think Kent's right on the 182RG - that thing's the closest to a cheap flying truck you're likely to find!

I've been thinking about a similar idea - getting something small/fast/cheap to be the sports car type thing, and then the Aztec for the truck missions. Only thing is the small/fast/cheap leaves me looking at things that are more than I'm willing to spend on a second aircraft. Grr...

Hey, why not move out to Williamsport and we can share? :D

I think Kent's right on the 182RG - that thing's the closest to a cheap flying truck you're likely to find!

I've been thinking about a similar idea - getting something small/fast/cheap to be the sports car type thing, and then the Aztec for the truck missions. Only thing is the small/fast/cheap leaves me looking at things that are more than I'm willing to spend on a second aircraft. Grr...

Find me a job in December, and I'm there. :D

The 182RG at Ames is about as close as you're gonna get to that. :yes: That's a great airplane for a great rate.

Yep.. That's one of the few things I'm going to miss about Ames - the 2500HD of airplanes - 182RG. What's even better about the plane is that it's usually available most of the time. I think there are only a handful of us that fly it fairly regularly.

It'll be at OSH this year. :D

I love RV's. I am jonesing for an RV-7A.

Rachel prefers the side by side seating and since she likes it you like it. give up the 5 mph so you can hold hands.

Rachel prefers the side by side seating and since she likes it you like it. give up the 5 mph so you can hold hands.

Actually, she's not so keen on the RV as a 'traveling' machine after getting spoiled in the RG on a few trips. I've also read that the -8's are a bit wider as far as individual shoulder room goes. I can always put in a mirror so I can wink at her, too. ;)

Actually, she's not so keen on the RV as a 'traveling' machine after getting spoiled in the RG on a few trips. I've also read that the -8's are a bit wider as far as individual shoulder room goes. I can always put in a mirror so I can wink at her, too. ;)

do YOU want to stare at the back of your head for a couple hours? :D

I'd rather stare at the back of his head then hold his hand.

LMAO!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

What are you trying to say, Jesse!? You mean all those things you said at Gaston's were just lies!? I feel so dirty!

FUNNY!! I've been thinking about a cheap (sic!) twin 'cause there's just something about flying a twin. I've always liked the 337 - mx rep notwithstanding. Lousy climb, but great shortfield perf for a twin, plus high wing for vis. Maybe an 02 version so I can knock off the jonesing for a warbird at the same time.

Ahhh, too bad the boss will never go for it....

FUNNY!! I've been thinking about a cheap (sic!) twin 'cause there's just something about flying a twin. I've always liked the 337 - mx rep notwithstanding. Lousy climb, but great shortfield perf for a twin, plus high wing for vis. Maybe an 02 version so I can knock off the jonesing for a warbird at the same time.

Ahhh, too bad the boss will never go for it....

And I forgot about this thread for a bit...

There's a couple options out there that would work out for something in that range, Andrew. Travel Airs and Twinkies come to mind. Aztecs are dirt cheap to buy, but higher in operating expenses (plus higher fuel burn than the Matrix), and at that point one ends up wondering why bother having the Matrix at all.

I still really like 340s, but at that point you're looking at a Matrix replacement, not a "cheap twin."

Chris: Find yourself a job here. But when you do, you and Rachel are welcome to stay in my house until you find your own place. :)

I saw an RV-10 on the ramp at KMYR when I departed the other day. Boy was that nice. It would be the perfect plane for me.

I've always liked the 337 - mx rep notwithstanding. Lousy climb, but great shortfield perf for a twin, plus high wing for vis. Maybe an 02 version so I can knock off the jonesing for a warbird at the same time.

I'm on my second 337 now. As far as the maintenance rep on these it usually due to the typical aircraft owner who buys one then can't afford to maintain it and the plane goes to crap by the time they sell it.

Both of my 337's have been low maintenance airplanes and very reliable. When you get into the turbo/pressurized versions expect higher maintenance cost due to more systems.

Not sure about the lousy climb performance, mine performs just fine.

I've got a couple flights in a P337 and I always thought the climb performance was great.

I
I've been thinking about a similar idea - getting something small/fast/cheap to be the sports car type thing, and then the Aztec for the truck missions.

Hmmm, I haven't bounced this off Brent yet, but I could see us maybe adding a third partner, keeping the Mooney, and adding a truck. Mooney economy when you don't need a big load, truck hauling capability when you do.
:confused:

Hmmm, I haven't bounced this off Brent yet, but I could see us maybe adding a third partner, keeping the Mooney, and adding a truck. Mooney economy when you don't need a big load, truck hauling capability when you do.
:confused:

EARTH TO BRENT! EARTH TO BRENT! BRENT, ARE YOU OUT THERE? ;)

I was thinking more along the lines of something like a cheaper Lancair 360 for the cheap go-fast plane. It really comes down to what your finances are like, along with those of the partner(s). If you found another two partners, you could probably make the fixed costs not a ton higher per person.

Back