I know the rules...this is satire...I think.

poadeleted1

Deleted by request
It actually made me laff...lock the thread, delete the post, whatever...but I thought it was funny:

Is America Out of Touch with Hollywood?

Although it's been an incredibly busy week for me, with nary a free minute to even update my blog, I at least made an effort to sit down and watch the Oscars last Sunday night. That’s more than I can say for the rest of America, though. The ratings for this year’s Academy Award ceremonies were the lowest in recorded history, second only to the pilot episode of the Discovery Channel’s Magical Journey Through Phil Donahue’s Digestive Tract. Donahue, of course, insists that the series was sabotaged by right-wing network execs at the behest of the Bush administration. Perhaps so. But with box office numbers continuing to tank as well, one can’t help but wonder if America has somehow lost touch with Hollywood, and how future generations will ever find their way without talented actors and actresses to guide them.

There was a time when the American film industry was little more than an instrument for spewing jingoist propaganda. Fascists like John Wayne and Henry Fonda poisoned millions of young minds with their pro-American cowboy filth. But since the 1960’s, Hollywood has become our moral compass. More than just performing monkeys, actors have become the better angels of our nature, leading us along the path of social progress in ways that people with less perfect hair never could. Schindler’s List taught us about the horrors of death camps years before Abu Ghraib and Gitmo. Eddie Murphy’s wonderful performance in Coming to America brought the civil rights movement out of the Alabama swamps and into the American mainstream. Jane Fonda’s brilliant work in Barbarella dared us to question the pointless futility of the Vietnam War. Through the medium of film, Hollywood has been a force for positive change in America - an evil nation with a bloody past, but a promising future if it would simply follow the loving guidance of the Beautiful People. I’m sure Martin, Coretta, Rosa, and the rest of the cast of The Jeffersons would agree.

That’s what George Clooney tried to tell us when he accepted Heath Ledger’s Oscar the other night, and you could hear the anguish in his voice even as he reminded us of how wonderful he is. America owes so much to our actors and actresses. They fill our sand bags. They serve food at our homeless shelters. They march in our abortion parades. They get drunk, crash their cars, and do informative public service announcements so that we won’t have to. They even fly all the way to Africa to adopt children for a lack of any suitable orphans here at home. Actors give us everything, yet ask for so little in return - save for our unconditional love and political obedience.

If they would simply open their hearts and minds, the useless idiots in Middle America could learn a thing or two from the useful ones in Hollywood.

Anyway, I should be back on a regular posting schedule on Monday. Have a nice weekend, and go see a movie.

http://blamebush.typepad.com/

Biting satire, for sure. LOL. By the way, not "my" blog, just one I read.

On a less satirical note, but more in a serious vein, I might suggest:

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/

There is a clip about the Iranian Ambassador to the UN saying that Iran is the victim of terrorism supported by the US. But the news person re-asked the question. And a clip about the evil John Bolton. So much to read, so much to be concerned about.

Maybe it would be easier to just just live like no one means us harm or harbors ill will. But then how could I justify this really great M1911A1? Too expensive for target plinking, plus you run out of targets quickly.

KP

"I would give the greatest sunset in the world for one sight of New York's skyline. The sky over New York and the will of man made visible. I feel that if a war came to threaten this, I would like to throw myself into space, over the city, and protect these buildings with my body." Ayn Rand

Last edited:
RotaryWingBob said:
Nothing like some satirical sarcasm, KP!

Made me laugh, too...

Thanks Bob. My mission is not ALWAYS to offend, but to try to get folks to think and see the absurdity of the world around us. Scary (on both counts), but true.

Have a great Sunday. Hope you get some cyclic/collective time today.:yes:

F.W. Birdman said:
It actually made me laff...lock the thread, delete the post, whatever...but I thought it was funny:
I think you've got the wrong forum in mind ;)

Greebo said:
I think you've got the wrong forum in mind ;)

Chuck,

It just seems like you never know when someone has a bug in their cavity. Some things pass, others get bypassed. It seems to depend on too many unknowns, even with stated rules. There is always "wiggle room" for justification.

Not picking on you, or anyone else. Just a casual observation from the cheap seats.

Oh, I know. It's always a juggling act, trying to keep things balanced and encouraging discourse on pretty much any topic without letting things get out of hand or overly inflammatory. We figure, if we're getting people angry on both fringes for being blatantly biased in their opponents favor then we've got it right. :) (And yes, we HAVE gotten that very same complaint from the "left" and the "right" in the same day, go figger.)

Hollywood's foundations and its actors know even more about what influences the irrational decisions of the average citizen than politicians do, and can accomplish their goals with little of the mud slinging and other nastiness rampant with elected officials. That is real power.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Hollywood's foundations and its actors know even more about what influences the irrational decisions of the average citizen than politicians do, and can accomplish their goals with little of the mud slinging and other nastiness rampant with elected officials. That is real power.

Well Dave, I guess you are entitled to your perspective. As to irrational decisions - well, they (the Hollywood Superiors) have let their alligator mouths overload their hummingbird.... and are so close to those same decisions any way, in many cases, the HS set poor examples for those who look up to them these days. They are, quite often, the antithesis of all that parents try to teach their children.

Personally, I have very few heroes. Most have died. And they died doing good or died after doing good. But, you are entitled to believe what you want. That is what my heroes would want you to do; it's what they died for.....

F.W. Birdman said:
Well Dave, I guess you are entitled to your perspective. As to irrational decisions - well, they (the Hollywood Superiors) have let their alligator mouths overload their hummingbird.... and are so close to those same decisions any way, in many cases, the HS set poor examples for those who look up to them these days. They are, quite often, the antithesis of all that parents try to teach their children.

Personally, I have very few heroes. Most have died. And they died doing good or died after doing good. But, you are entitled to believe what you want. That is what my heroes would want you to do; it's what they died for.....

Oh, I don't see that I was saying I had any Hollywood Heros but if I had to pick some, they'd probably be among the less famous ones doing the occasional realistic documentary.

The real Heros of our country are of course those that had the vision to stand up to an incoming fight, often against much public opposition, from our Revolution and the likes of its monumental efforts and sacrifices at Valley Forge, on to those of the present day.

Last edited:
I guess my point was that they are plastic, vaccuous beings. Many, for example (and there are many), such as B. Streisand criticizinge the President for being a "C" student in college, when she never even had the mental capacity to go to college. True, she is rich and she is entitled to her opinion, but you know what they say about opinions. And mine can be included there. I know I am not perfect. Far from it. But until I have walked a few cliks in your jungle tennies, and you in mine, we have little room to criticize each other with true meaning.:dunno:

The credibility of the Hollywood Anointed has been tested over and over and over again, and generally falls short in the areas of morals, honesty and hypocracy.:yes:

F.W. Birdman said:
The credibility of the Hollywood Anointed has been tested over and over and over again, and generally falls short in the areas of morals, honesty and hypocracy.:yes:

Too true, too true, but the same could be said of our so-called political leaders over the years.

Many if not most famous actors have IQ's in nearing the genius range - I don't think intelligence is the problem, rather perspective and common sense. Which again are characteristics lacking in many politicians.

This may sound rather libertarian of (especially) me but I'd rather not blindly follow either industries lead.

Last edited:
alaskaflyer said:
This may sound rather libertarian of (especially) me but I'd rather not blindly follow either industries lead.

The critical difference is that the politicians are elected by us to lead the country and the Hollywood Hipsters are self appointed Prophets who believe that their wealth and status alone confer upon them the right to run their yappers.

Frank Browne said:
The critical difference is that the politicians are elected by us to lead the country and the Hollywood Hipsters are self appointed Prophets who believe that their wealth and status alone confer upon them the right to run their yappers.
I don't think the Hollywood folks think that so much as the MEDIA thinks that because of what the actors do. Many other people say similar things but don't get on the news.

Personally, the whole idea of even the "news" today is nothing but an entertainment show. I've stopped watching it for anything other than the weather.

Brian Austin said:
I don't think the Hollywood folks think that so much as the MEDIA thinks that because of what the actors do. Many other people say similar things but don't get on the news.

Personally, the whole idea of even the "news" today is nothing but an entertainment show. I've stopped watching it for anything other than the weather.
Good points Brian. I'm just a little put out with Hollywood Hypsters though. They always seem to float around with an entourage of flunkies, toilette room attendents, yes persons, and general hangers on, and then want to lecture me about how I should vote and live my life. I have zero use for the self appointed Prophets in tinsletown.

Frank Browne said:
Good points Brian. I'm just a little put out with Hollywood Hypsters though. They always seem to float around with an entourage of flunkies, toilette room attendents, yes persons, and general hangers on, and then want to lecture me about how I should vote and live my life. I have zero use for the self appointed Prophets in tinsletown.

Amen, brother!

Frank Browne said:

I don't have much use for them either -unless it's something like Harrison Ford or John Travolta promoting GA, then they're great!

Frank Browne said:
who believe that their wealth and status alone confer upon them the right to run their yappers.
I'm not sure that's how you want to say this. Everyone has the right to run their yapper. Wealth and status merely affords them easy access to the media.

Back