I killed George :(

Wrong group, Jim. Go visit Van's Air Force. There, if you suggest buying a completed part, people think you're crazy! :)

The FAA has thoroughly spooked certificated aircraft owners into believing that their planes will fall from the sky if they use any parts, no matter how insignificant, that aren't marked up 300% or more.

Ever read Bach's "Found At Pharisee" and/or "School For Perfection"? I reread it every so often just to remember that I'm not the only one in this business ...

... and you forgot the line about the innocent children on the playground ...

Jim

Last edited:
You are the weakest link!

image.jpg

2gsl7iu.jpg

So, the black parts are plastic, silver is metal, huh.

You are the weakest link!

image.jpg

2gsl7iu.jpg

So, the black parts are plastic, silver is metal, huh.

Hm. Single axis pivot. Not even a U-joint. Just sort of curious why they would make it a 3-piece part rather than just making one of the end pieces to fit inside the outer flanges of the other piece and then pin them together as a pivot. Seems like a rather simple machine operation to make them out of aluminum rod, drill both ends out, mill one of the other ends flat and the other end into flanges, drill for wire, drill and tap for setscrew. I can see, maybe, five minutes of labor if you built them a hundred at a time. An hour if you built them one at a time.

Just thinkin' ...

Jim

The S-Tec 30 has a little plastic coupler in there, it breaks (eventually, no matter what, so don't feel guilty); good news is, any good avionics shop can fix it; bad news is, you don't wanna know how much it costs (ask ME how I know!).

It is possible, and advisable, to have a remote mode-select switch installed; the 30 has a pin for remote mode select, a single momentary switch (SPST) to ground, does the same thing as the knob, but does not wear it nearly as much. Some avionics shops don't know about this (mine did not, and they are good).

Pins 17 and 41...

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 10-22-14 at 12.32 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 10-22-14 at 12.32 PM.PNG
    31.4 KB · Views: 39
Now that's just silly talk. For just $11,000 (plus a bunch of work, of course), I was able to put a panel in the RV that (to achieve the same level of sophistication) would have cost $55,000 in my Piper Pathfinder.

That's the cost of certification, and the cost of liability that is inherent with certification.

Personally, I've never seen a rental with anything like the GRT Horizon HXr. But, of course, I haven't rented an airplane since the dark ages.

Jay,

Can you post a pic of your panel, and list what is installed? That sounds pretty cool.

Smoothtalker and James nailed it. It's the coupler.

I just had mine fixed. The unit is not trashed.

There's a SB from S-TEC on it. You'll have to take it to an approved S-TEC shop. I had a ptt installed on the right yoke, the S-TEC 30 fixed, and some intercom radio work done. $600.00

Smoothtalker and James nailed it. It's the coupler.

I just had mine fixed. The unit is not trashed.

There's a SB from S-TEC on it. You'll have to take it to an approved S-TEC shop. I had a ptt installed on the right yoke, the S-TEC 30 fixed, and some intercom radio work done. $600.00

Totally forgot to mention the price to fix the stec

PARTS: 68.24
LABOR: 94.80
TOTAL: 163.04

Back