I held my cat while she died today

flyersfan31

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Freiburgfan31
Mook - 2/1995-6/5/2011. She was a good cat. Her sister was killed by the Chinese during that bad cat food epidemic several years ago.

She's the second cat I've had to comfort as she died. My older daughter, now 10, who was 5 when her first cat died, said to Mommy, "I don't know how Daddy can do it."

I can't even begin to imagine the pain Kyle Franklin feels. Not even close. Not even for a moment.

Not a good day in the Flyersfan31 household.

I'm so sorry to hear that. Mook was a family member, and I know she'll be missed.

(And I still tear up thinking about our cat that has passed, and am dreading the time in a few years when our current cat passes).

I'm sorry to hear it.

We lost our cat of 13 years, dog of 10 years and a bunny of 3 months (my daughters first own pet) all within the last 6 months. Its not fun.

Sorry to hear that.

My daughter held our cat and I let the drugs into the IV when we did it. It seemed right - As bad as it was, I'm glad you got to work it out that way.

Sorry for you and the girls Andrew! Its hard to loose a pet for sure.

family for sure (many dont get that)...I sure am sorry. Heres to Mook

Sorry to hear this. Our Oliver kitty died very suddenly at home a few months ago as I pet him.

It's always sad to witness death, but doubly so the innocent and dependent.

Pets are family.

Oh Andrew I am so sorry about your dear Mook. I know how sad you all are. :-(

Do you have a picture?

Sixteen years is an excellent run for a cat! I know how sad you must feel, but you and your family can find peace in knowing that you are responsible for your feline friend's many years of happiness and comfort... and any cat would be lucky to end their life as Mook did. You have accomplished what you set out to do when you first took her into your home.

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear of your loss. If it's any consolation, the dog is 17 here and the cat was 21 in March, and they both worry me about how they're going to go...

As they "wear out" we see them every day so we only see the gross changes in behavior after a while. Pretty sure the dog is just going to not be able to get herself up one of these days, and that'll be a heartbreaking trip to the vet after carrying her to the SUV. She's on a small daily dose of Duramaxx for arthritis in her back. The cat's been diabetic for years, but even though he's thin, he does alright on a very high-protein diet without insulin.

Neither is in pain or uncomfortable on a regular basis, so we just wait..they both sleep a lot.

Aww... geez... so sorry to hear about your kitty. You guys were lucky to have each other - good friends, good home, good times. :sad:

Sorry Andrew. :(

Pets are family!

Sorry to hear about your cat. Both of my two dogs that have died were with us a long time and it's very hard to see them go.We have a dog and a cat now and I hope they also live a long and fun filled life.

My condolences to you and yours, Andrew. The one advantage of reptilian pets is you don't tend to feel so badly when they expire. Actually, some chelonians are sufficiently long-lived that they might feel badly when you expire.

Sorry for the loss Andrew. Always hard to lose a member of the family.

My condolences to you and yours, Andrew. The one advantage of reptilian pets is you don't tend to feel so badly when they expire. Actually, some chelonians are sufficiently long-lived that they might feel badly when you expire.

I have a parrot that is likely to out live me.

Sorry to hear it man. Pets are family, and it sucks to lose a family member.

I feel your pain... I am a big animal person and losing one is tough. I REALLY wish the four legged friends lived longer then they do. Sometimes it just doesn't seem fair....:sad::sad:

Ben.

I'm sorry, Andrew. At least you were able to comfort her. :(

Sorry for your loss.

Thanks for being a good and responsible pet owner.

Lots of kitties out there looking for a family like yours. . .

Andrew.

Sorry for your sorrow. If I could wave a wand and make it better, I surely would.

It's hard to lose any member of your family, and pets are family. My condolences. Like others in this thread have mentioned, our dog Snickers is getting older. White muzzle, 16 or 17 years, but she's still spritely and playful. Can't hear worth beans anymore, though... and sleeps a lot more. Still eating healthy and without issues. It'll be a sad day when she goes under the rainbow bridge.

So sorry to hear of your loss. We lost three cats last year, our two 15 year old orange Maine Coons; one to Mast cell tumors his brother to pancreatic cancer. The third kitty was just shy of 20. It never gets any easer. The only thing I have ever been able to do is ask myself "Am I keeping him(her) alive for me or for him(her)?" If the answer is "me" I know it is wrong and it's time.

My fireplace mantel has five little boxes...

Back