I have to take a step away...

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Let me preface this by saying that I have no intentions of leaving permanently, but lately, some of the things I've been reading here have been really getting under my skin.

From the "We're high time pilots, and all you younguns have no business pushing your safety envelope" to the speculation on a crash in which someone a bunch of PoAers knew very well perished, its getting worse here. And I'm not even talking about Spin Zone.

The problem is that I know that this is just the internet, and it shouldn't be upsetting me as much as it is. I used to be a lot friendlier and fun guy to talk to on the 'net. I need to step away.

If a MCer could do me a favor, and put me on a suspension of sorts for whatever timeframe they could, I'd appreciate it. I'll be back someday.

Till then - hopefully those of you that will fly, fly safe, and those of you that won't fly, will decide to fly, and then fly safe. Peace out.

Ron Levy said:
No need to suspend you -- just come back when you're ready.
Agreed. Nick we understand your need to take time off and we'll miss you, but that said, suspending is a form of punishment, not a tool to make your self-imposed sabbatical more convenient.

We'll see you soon, we hope!

Chuck

1.) Click Start
2.) Click Run
3.) Type in: notepad C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
4.) Add this to the file:
Code:
127.0.0.1 pilotsofamerica.com
127.0.0.1 www.pilotsofamerica.com
5.) Save it. Done deal.

pretty sure the second one is redundant?

SkyHog said:
Let me preface this by saying that I have no intentions of leaving permanently, but lately, some of the things I've been reading here have been really getting under my skin.

From the "We're high time pilots, and all you younguns have no business pushing your safety envelope" to the speculation on a crash in which someone a bunch of PoAers knew very well perished, its getting worse here. And I'm not even talking about Spin Zone.

The problem is that I know that this is just the internet, and it shouldn't be upsetting me as much as it is. I used to be a lot friendlier and fun guy to talk to on the 'net. I need to step away.

If a MCer could do me a favor, and put me on a suspension of sorts for whatever timeframe they could, I'd appreciate it. I'll be back someday.

Till then - hopefully those of you that will fly, fly safe, and those of you that won't fly, will decide to fly, and then fly safe. Peace out.

Good days and good luck to you Nick, I hope you read the reply I wrote to you in the turn thread before you go. It may lend a bit of perspective to my point.

Because if pilotsofamerica.com is directed to localhost, there will be no DNS lookup, so X.pilotsofamerica.com will just go to localhost anyway, won't it?

Greebo said:
Because if pilotsofamerica.com is directed to localhost, there will be no DNS lookup, so X.pilotsofamerica.com will just go to localhost anyway, won't it?
As far as I know.. and based on the testing I just did on this computer (Windows XP, Linux too) that is not the case.. It will do the DNS lookup for anything that is not in the hosts file. Since there would be no entry for www.pilotsofamerica.com it will look it up. You do not take out an entire domain and any possible subdomain by making a host entry for just the domain.

jangell said:
As far as I know.. and based on the testing I just did on this computer (Windows XP, Linux too) that is not the case.. It will do the DNS lookup for anything that is not in the hosts file. Since there would be no entry for www.pilotsofamerica.com it will look it up. You do not take out an entire domain and any possible subdomain by making a host entry for just the domain.

This is correct, two entries are needed.

Interesting - fair nuff. As you can see, this is why I do software architecture, not network engineering. ;)

I wonder if the test results would change if you cleared your dns cache before updating localhosts?

Greebo said:
Interesting - fair nuff. As you can see, this is why I do software architecture, not network engineering. ;)

I wonder if the test results would change if you cleared your dns cache before updating localhosts?

Nope. Hosts files are specifically to avoid DNS. The hosts file is creating a local entry to override a single DNS lookup. The 'pilotsofamerica.com' line is the local equivalent to an "A Record" DNS lookup of the same name. The same as it would be for www.pilotsofamerica.com or mail.pilotsofamerica.com or foo.pilotsofamerica.com. It is not a wildcard entry. AFAIK, hosts entries can't be wildcarded.

I digress...

Nick, you'll be missed around here. Get your head clear...then come back to see us. You're most definitely one of a kind...and that's precisely what I've always appreciated about you.

Nick I hope we see you soon!

And, I for one will catch you on the ConUS challange...Keep up the great work for GA!

It's not just Nick. Too many people are backing away from the daily fray of social intercourse. Democracy is not the same person or people getting their way all the time.
Life is not like TV. The good guy doesn't always win.
America is suffering from a "Cone of Silence" syndrome. Anyone outside the mainstream is shut up and shut down. AT&T is gobbling up the baby bells. Macy's bought Marshall Fields.
Dictatorship is not the most stable form of government. These pasty-faced puppets are crowing "America is a Republic - not a democracy." Bull. It is a republic controlled by a democracy.
Keep talking, Nick. We need you.
:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Who are you all kidding. Good Riddance! Man am I tired of Nicks moaning, I've got mono, my boss is a pain, I live in a ghetto and I locked myself in my apartment so I have to kick the door down. My Lord the mans life is a country western song. Gedouddahere!:fcross: :rolleyes:

To steal a line of Bruces's aviation ( and now POA) are like Herpes... ya never get it out of your system.

Go clear your head and hurry back my friend.

Nick, I'll see you on goflyamerica. Come back when you think things have calmed down to the level you will accept.

Bob, where did that come from? Sheesh.

Adam, way funny, my man.

Nick, what about your videos. I'm feeling deprived now. I wonder how much your decision is because you haven't been flying lately.

Richard said:
I wonder how much your decision is because you haven't been flying lately.
Look at that! I guess I'm not the only one who gets crabby when I've been on the ground too long ...

Nick,

Godspeed, and you're welcome back anytime. Thanks for helping make this feel like home.

Bill

I think we should ban him. :D

C'mon Nick, don't let it get you down!

FlyNE said:
Nope. Hosts files are specifically to avoid DNS. The hosts file is creating a local entry to override a single DNS lookup. The 'pilotsofamerica.com' line is the local equivalent to an "A Record" DNS lookup of the same name. The same as it would be for www.pilotsofamerica.com or mail.pilotsofamerica.com or foo.pilotsofamerica.com. It is not a wildcard entry. AFAIK, hosts entries can't be wildcarded.

Hosts files predate DNS by about a decade. In the early days of ARPAnet/Internet there was THE hosts file. New sites were added to it as needed and everybody downloaded it. I've been around long enough that I downloaded that file too, but the time I came along it had only a few thousand major systems in it. Needless to say, that system didn't scale well. Other methods were proposed and a distributed system called the Distributed Domain Name System was published and then Microsoft invented the PC and the Internet.

mikea said:
Hosts files predate DNS by about a decade. In the early days of ARPAnet/Internet there was THE hosts file. New sites were added to it as needed and everybody downloaded it. I've been around long enough that I downloaded that file too, but the time I came along it had only a few thousand major systems in it. Needless to say, that system didn't scale well. Other methods were proposed and a distributed system called the Distributed Domain Name System was published and then Microsoft invented the PC and the Internet.
I wasn't referring to the history of the hosts file, I was simply talking about how they're used today...and, more specifically, the situation that was being discussed. If people wanted to know more than what I was telling them, I just assumed they would do more research.

wesleyj said:
You know how crabby a guy can be when he aint gettin any.
Nonsense! He was offered some for $5 recently! :rofl:

Seriously man, go fly if you can. Cures what ails ya. And only worry about the things you can change. Forget about the stuff you have no control over.

And if that doesn't work, balance a pancake on your head!!!

-Rich

Hang in there, Nick - and we'll see ya when we see ya, I reckon. You'll be missed!

I think Nick has said that there are going to be some changes in his life, I hope he can sort everything out and make it back here soon.

Methinks Nick really needs to go fly! :yes: I don't think he's been up in a while. Somebody rescue him!

Back