I have to be the luckiest SOB ever.

Every time I see this thread title pop up, I think of that Richard Riehle scene from Office Space...him in the wheelchair proclaiming his fortune after getting hit by the truck.

Very cool on the airplane with your dad! And very sorry for the loss of your mom. Mine passed away last year and I miss her everyday...

That's one of the saddest things I've read. My dad was a busy guy when I was growing up, but he still engaged us in his activities as often as he could, and took an interest in our activities as much as he could. In his late eighties now I talk to him at least once or twice every day and value his wisdom and insight.

I've tried to be even more involved in my son's life. Countless hours on our lake since he was two. Taught him to waterski and wakeboard, and spent hundreds of hours (and 100s of gallons of gas!) pulling him around the lake for the last 20 years. Taught him to fish, snow ski, shoot a gun, camp, etc., then taught him to fly....forever a highlight of my life for me. May get to do his instrument rating next summer after he graduates from college with ATC major in May.

So to the OP, enjoy the time you have with your dad!

That's sad. Sorry to hear. I was lucky enough to know all of my grandparents, both parents of course, and two great grandmothers.

Yeah, two grandparents dead before my own entry into the Universe, one dead before I was a teenager and another at some point thereafter (totally daffy when she went, though). My fault for coming along so late I guess.

Saw my mother yesterday. She doesn't even recognize me anymore. Did get to trundle around in her wheelchair a bit, sat down and visited for a few minutes, let her mumble incoherently but in a conspiratorial fashion. I suppose I should do that more often, as sad as it is. At least this time it wasn't creepy. Last time I had a 6 foot guy in my face who had just wet himself.

But for those of you who can, enjoy the time you have with your folks. They don't make any more of it. And those with kids, make some time with them. They'll never get any younger.

I need a drink.

But for those of you who can, enjoy the time you have with your folks. They don't make any more of it. And those with kids, make some time with them. They'll never get any younger.

I need a drink.

I feel fortunate to be born when I was. My parents generation was a bit more busy. Dad worked and worked and worked. He still puts in more hours than I do but now family time is a huge priority to him. He and I spend a lot of time together. We have dinner w/ my parents probably 2 nights a week.

As far as being born at the right time, I am in a generation of parents where dad gets to be involved and not just a provider.

Somehow I managed to get a daddy's girl and that is a great feeling. I also have what appears to be a ninja or some sort of space miner but he is cool too. Evenings at my house are an awesome sort of acrobatic, tickle battle circus event. I dunno but its fun and they appear to be having fun. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Saw my mother yesterday. She doesn't even recognize me anymore. Did get to trundle around in her wheelchair a bit, sat down and visited for a few minutes, let her mumble incoherently but in a conspiratorial fashion. I suppose I should do that more often, as sad as it is. At least this time it wasn't creepy. Last time I had a 6 foot guy in my face who had just wet himself.

I need a drink.

That was our Phoenix "vacation"... Karen's dad is "there" (as in happy but not really all in there) now after two strokes. Our visit was to see her mom and go to the group home daily to see him.

I got to watch all the grandparents age and die, so it's not creepy anymore to me, but it's never easy to watch, no matter how many times you've seen the film.

Time marches on. If nothing else the trip was -- yet another -- reminder to stop screwing around with work and other menial crap and go do something interesting or fun this year. That and seeing my pitiful logbook numbers this year from putting too much priority on the new job, during our annual insurance numbers re-up.

Time marches on. If nothing else the trip was -- yet another -- reminder to stop screwing around with work and other menial crap and go do something interesting or fun this year. That and seeing my pitiful logbook numbers this year from putting too much priority on the new job, during our annual insurance numbers re-up.

Idaho in June - use that STOL kit - spend a night at Minam (okay, it's across the state line) - or try the place in Idaho that Tom D. mentioned. It's all the fun of flying in the mountains plus landing on grass which might be sloping just a little bit...

Back