I have Sleep Apnea

johnod1983

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
johnod
I've seen topics regarding people having questions about the screening, but what if I have Sleep Apnea and use a CPAP machine? I've seen some things about providing a report from my machine etc.

Does any know if having OSA limits my ability to get a first or second class?

Numerous posts on here about SI renewals with OSA ... but since I only have 3rd class medical, not sure I paid any attention to 1st or 2nd requirements...

put sleep apnea in the search box up there ... /^

I've seen topics regarding people having questions about the screening, but what if I have Sleep Apnea and use a CPAP machine? I've seen some things about providing a report from my machine etc.

The requirement to fly with OSA is the same for all medical certificate levels. You'll need to see your GP before your medical and provide at least a recent 31 day CPAP machine log showing that you are using your CPAP machine for at least six hours a night, 75% of the time.

Your doctor will need to provide a letter to the AME saying you are not excessively tired and show no signs of heart issues.

OSA requires a Special Issuance. This can be done on the spot by an AME for first and second class medicals if the AME knows how, otherwise expect a long delay in getting your medical.

Dr. Chien is the expert in the area of OSA for airmen.

Compliance is required and is the same as 3rd class...
1st and 2nd class medicals are 100% possible.

http://www.pilotfriend.com/aeromed/medical/apnea.htm
The FAA granted 1555 Special Issuance medical certificates (First Class = 279, Second Class = 335, Third Class = 1041) for successfully treated sleep apnea as of November 2003.

FAA medical is actually easier if you already have a diagnosis and treatment. As others have said, you need to document your therapy with a machine report and the treating physician's status report. It gets more complicated for people who get screened by the AME and then have a limited time period to get tested, treated, and documented.

Sounds good guys. Thanks for all the quick advice. I've contacted my treating doctor at the VA and I'll have all the documentation in hand for the visit.

I'll have all the documentation in hand for the visit.

Double check with the AME for the complete list of required documentation needed for the SI.

The required list is not overly complicated, but if one of the checkboxes goes unfilled, it could be a PITA get it checked within the limited time once the exam goes live.

Typically, you'll get a Special Issuance (SI) that will be good for 6 years before it expires and you get a new one.

It will tell you that you need an annual status report and other documentation, normally the same info you are rounding up now, but it needs to be within last 90 days.

...normally the same info you are rounding up now...

minus the sleep lab results. Only one time is needed to document the original diagnosis.

John, if you need it, I'll share what's included in my renewal packet, including the paragraphs my primary doc writes to the status letter. My AME has has been very happy with what is provided.

Good News! My doc issued my Second Class based on the documentation provided from my sleep doc. I just have to mail in those docs to the regional office.

I just have to mail in those docs to the regional office.

Just make sure each page mailed has your various identification information in the upper right corner. Your AME should be able to provide the short list.

Since this gets scanned by a lower level functionary, having this info makes sure all pages get correctly appended to your file, and not another airmans. And if a mistake is made, it's easily corrected.

Not having it on each page runs the risk of the page getting lost in the avalanche of white paper and not matched up to you.

Compliance is required and is the same as 3rd class...
1st and 2nd class medicals are 100% possible.

That has to be a extra pain for long haul pilots. First Class/ATP holders flying main lines get to have the "med student candidates" at TSA paw over their personal medical equipment in full view at least once a workday. Sign me up!

What about someone who just doesn't sleep 6 hours a night 75% of the time?

That has to be a extra pain for long haul pilots. First Class/ATP holders flying main lines get to have the "med student candidates" at TSA paw over their personal medical equipment in full view at least once a workday. Sign me up!

Oh geez....nothing bad ever happens there.

They have a triple redundant system system that checks and double checks their decisions. :D:goofy:

Never ever had an issue with my CPAP equipment. It travels in a small bag labeled "required medical equipment" with the cover open making it easy for the blue hand group to see what it is.

It goes through inspection without any problems.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back