I have been seduced!

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Today I had my first High Performance Complex lesson in a Straight Tail Lance. Didn't think it would happen at first because the weather was supposed to go to hell. When I woke though the wind was out of the SE @ 4 and the vis was 10 and ceiling was overcast at 12,000. I called the CFII and we agreed to meet at wings at 9:45. We spent a good hour on ground going over systems, V-Speeds, behavior of the plane, comparison to other Pipers. Went over how preflight differs in a complex (checking micro circuits etc). Then it was out to the plane, the weather was forcast to deteriorate around Noon. We weren't going to ventrue beyond the pattern so we weren't to concerned about the ceiling comming down a bit to about 5000' and the light on and off rain.
You could feel the difference in just taxiing the plane it just felt heavier and that 300hp engine. WOW it just rumbled. The run up was for the most part the same as an Archer or Tiger except for exercising the prop. At the hold short line Paul the CFII remined me of the "extra" right rudder I would need. We take the runway and position and hold, mixture and prop full forward and run it up to 2000 RPMs check the engine instruments. All was at it should have been and I release the breaks and advance the throttle full forward. The Lance Launced forward and rocketed down the runway. I kept the right rudder in and maintained centerline. Rotate at 75Kts and WoW I just didn't anticipate how much right rudder I'd need upon getting airborne. The left wing dipped and it was like someone just pulled the plane left. I made the appropriate corrections and went though the gear up procedure " Gear in Transit" "Gear up and Locked" all while griping the gear leaver. At 800' Manifold pressure and prop go to 25 squared. At pattern altitude manifold pressue is reduced to 16" and RPMs to 24. POH says manifold pressure to 20" but CFI said that would be just to high for the closed pattern.
By now we were Screaming on downwind at speeds I only hoped to reach in the Archer but am used to in the Tiger. Below 129kts lower the gear and repeat the verbal statments abou the status of the gear. I remember hand stays on the gear lever until down and locked (3 in the green) One notch of flaps in and GUMPS check. Turn left base for 24 and bring in the 2nd notch of flaps and do another GUMPS check. Turn final and Third notch of flaps and 1,2,3 1-Confirm Mixture full rich. 2-prop full forward (beaware of need for go around) 3- Confirm three in the green.
The Lance felt lilke a ship with a solid lead keel. The approach was so stabilized it felt like the plane was riding on a track right to the runway.
Now I'm used to taking the trottle full out when the runway is made in the Tiger and Archer but in the Lance, Paul wanted me to bring it in with some power due to the tendency for the nose to drop like a rock due to the weight up front. I've been told that one of the big problems folks have in stepping up to the lance and saratoga models is the tendency to smack the nose down. My CFI was VERY pleased I didn't suffer from this affliction ( primarly becuse it was his plane)
Four times around the pattern and each time I put her down gently on the mains and each time after the first I got the right rudder down pat.
The power and speed in the Lance just awed me. Its the same feeling I got steppinng up from the AA-1C/B to the Tiger or the Warrior to the Archer. Yes I have been seduced. I can't wait till my next lesson.

Adam,

Cool. Don't let all that power go to your head. :D

I like the Lance. It would probably be my next choice for a plane when the 182 RG gets too small.

Careful Adam; it's addictive.

You'll have to learn to pace yourself here Tiger! One can go from one fast plane to another. More speed, better avionics, higher, farther.......aaaaaahhhh!

You'll be thinking pressurized twin if you're not careful!!!

Best,

Dave

Adam:

When I first transitioned to complex, it was into the F33 Bonanza. I still recall that first takeoff, when I felt as though there was too much happening too fast. Before you know it, you settle into a rhythm, and it all makes sense.

One thing I was taught by (someone, I don't recall who now) is that, at least until you are leveled off at cruising altitude and fully-configured, if you are not doing something, you are likely missing something. More true in IMC, under IFR and in busy terminal areas, but still good advice in general and it really helps you to develop a flow, and to be proactive in anticipating things that are "coming up."

Funny thing is, since I fly the complex/HP aircraft nearly all the time now, when I fly the simple planes, it feels as if something is wrong, because (1) fewer things to fiddle with, and (2) what does happen, happens so much more slowly.

How about a turbine? Why scr*w around? :)

SCCutler said:
Adam:

When I first transitioned to complex, it was into the F33 Bonanza. I still recall that first takeoff, when I felt as though there was too much happening too fast. Before you know it, you settle into a rhythm, and it all makes sense.

Spike: You hit the nail on the head ( excuse the double entendre)

Dave Siciliano said:
Careful Adam; it's addictive.

You'll be thinking pressurized twin if you're not careful!!!

Best,

Dave

Anthony said:
How about a turbine? Why scr*w around? :)

You are both right. I was talking to my pilot mentor about this and we said its like drugs. You know how they call Pot a "gateway" drug to the harder stuff. We figure the AA-1Cs, 150s etc are "gateway" airplanes. We justfiy things like addicts too. Well honey If I can get my highperf/complex then we can take your mother to cape cod with us. Or Honey if I get my twin rating we can fly more direct over the bay yada yada yada.

Don't get me wrong Low-n-slow is cool but I want to go places. Can you imagine if they really treated aviation as an addiction. I can just picture the meeting: Hi my name is Adam and I'm a Lance Driver ... HI ADAM.

Adam,
It's a wonderful thing to move up a bit, isn't it? Please make sure your CFI includes some flying with the airplane up near max gross with some additional seats filled to get a really good picture of what the envelope/handling/performance looks like other than just you two. It's usually an eye opener and certainly something you want to experience as part of a good checkout.

Adam,
What a rush! Had the same feelings when Jamie P checked me out in the Saratoga. More power, more speed, but more money. Enjoy

AdamZ said:
Today I had my first High Performance Complex lesson in a Straight Tail Lance. Paul wanted me to bring it in with some power due to the tendency for the nose to drop like a rock due to the weight up front. I've been told that one of the big problems folks have in stepping up to the lance and saratoga models is the tendency to smack the nose down. My CFI was VERY pleased I didn't suffer from this affliction ( primarly becuse it was his plane)
Four times around the pattern and each time I put her down gently on the mains and each time after the first I got the right rudder down pat.
The power and speed in the Lance just awed me. Its the same feeling I got steppinng up from the AA-1C/B to the Tiger or the Warrior to the Archer. Yes I have been seduced. I can't wait till my next lesson.
Good, just make sure you use keep a hand on that throttle at the bottom of the slope, especially when you get up around gross. No real problem or gotchas, but sometimes you gotta give a dose of power to slow your sink especially on the real short field stuff, nose up with no power at gross, and the plane can sink real fast:D . You can use that to your advantage dropping in over tall trees. Typically the plane responds to this just fine, remember, right hand forward, right foot down, (it becomes automatic after a while), a healthy shot of power with the nose up for landing and in she comes, firm but not too hard and she gets stopped as short as possible. If you've got a reasonable runway, you can just keep the speed up and fly a normal approach, no big issue at all. Grab your instructor, 4 freinds and a cooler of lunch and beverages and go somewhere fun, local airmuseum, national park.... It'll give you a good checkout and a good day as well.

Last edited:
John and Henning: Thanks these are excellent ideas and information I didn't think about. After I get the hang of it I will definitly load her up with the CFII and do some work. I never thought of using the rock like tendency to assist in getting over obsticles close to the approch end. A normal approach. chop. drop. power and bring it in I guess. Is that how its done? Good suggestions.

Al its great to see you here at POA welcome its been a while.

Last edited:
NC Pilot said:
Adam,

Cool. Don't let all that power go to your head. :D

I like the Lance. It would probably be my next choice for a plane when the 182 RG gets too small.
TRAITOR!!!! You must go to a C206 or C210!

(Just kidding--I have 30 hours in a Saratoga and I love it!)

wangmyers said:
TRAITOR!!!! You must go to a C206 or C210!

(Just kidding--I have 30 hours in a Saratoga and I love it!)
C206 too slow. C210 insurance too expensive. Lance is slower than the 210, but about on par with the 182RG. Higher fuel burn though. All in all, I think I'll just keep the RG.:yes:

Back