I have a structured settlement and I need cash now

When you call and you've let them give you the spiel, you can have some fun.

There are some words you can say that should make them scream in terror.

"Net Present Value."

Last edited:
.. .- -- .-- .. - .... ... -.-. --- - - -- .-.-.-

Call JG Wentworth... 877-cash-now!

I don't usually use harsh or profane language. In the case of those vultures I make an exception.

Judges in our county favor trusts over structures in court-approved settlements because of the ease and frequency with which beneficiaries sell structures for 20 cents on the dollar.

:mad:

I don't need as much cash. I got a deal on the new car for just $499 a month.

Client of mine had neighbors (in the country) who bought their small ranch and moved there after the won the Lotto - good amount.

Client said, each year when the Lucky Couple got their annual check, they would embark on a spending binge, buying cars, trucks, 4 wheelers, boats, tractors horses - toys. Then, by the sixth or seventh month after Big Check Day, they'd start selling off stuff they'd bought, at fire-sale prices, for the purpose of eating and keeping the lights on. Next Big Check Day, the cycle restarted.

Then, they found out about J. G. Wentworth, and sold their Lotto cash stream (at a stupid discount, but what do you expect?). At this point, they embarked upon their Crescendo of Spendo, buying crap at a pace reminiscent of the last-hurrah during a big 4th of July fireworks show.

When they'd spent it all (which did not take long), they started selling stuff for a while, then filed bankruptcy and got a divorce.

What's left is the land, and a trailer.

And a drunk.

Hmmm....I thought more people would be stuck with the song in their head. Wasn't expecting a discussion around the merits of a (really bad) structured settlement deal.

What is a structured settlement anyway? Is it the outcome of a lawsuit?

Hmmm....I thought more people would be stuck with the song in their head. Wasn't expecting a discussion around the merits of a (really bad) structured settlement deal.

Best way I can explain it is like an annuity, Nick. Rather than settling a case where defendant pays you a lump sum they pay you out over time. When its set up they take into account present value, inflation etc.

The beautiful thing about modern day technology and it's use for entertainment purposes is .... I had no idea what you guys were talking about, It takes a little effort on my part but I bet I haven't seen an entire commercial in 5 years.

The Stig is a who not a what
The story being it was the nickname given to a first year student at an english prep school. When the BBC's TOP GEAR show was being designed, it seemed like a good idea to use "Stig" to designate the anonymous figure doing the expert driving.
Personal note... the BBC's Top Gear is better.

The story being it was the nickname given to a first year student at an english prep school. When the BBC's TOP GEAR show was being designed, it seemed like a good idea to use "Stig" to designate the anonymous figure doing the expert driving.
Personal note... the BBC's Top Gear is better.
I offer this edit to your post:

the BBC's Top Gear is better best

The US version is unwatchable. The Australian version does not suck but it does lack the chemistry and a lot of the wit of the BBC version.

I like the us version, but could only enjoy it after I stopped thinking of it as Top Gear

I like the us version, but could only enjoy it after I stopped thinking of it as Top Gear
The best US Top Gear was the Viper vs the Cobra. Maybe they've tinkered too much with the format but the last few were awful. It's less about cars and more about beating Tanner.
Best BBC Top Gear was the 3 wheeled car - Reliant Robin. It reminded me of a Three Stooges show. Even though you could see it coming, rolling it was still a laugh.

The best US Top Gear was the Viper vs the Cobra. Maybe they've tinkered too much with the format but the last few were awful. It's less about cars and more about beating Tanner.
Best BBC Top Gear was the 3 wheeled car - Reliant Robin. It reminded me of a Three Stooges show. Even though you could see it coming, rolling it was still a laugh.
The Relian Robin is a good topic of ridicule in the BBC show. Lots of fun with that car. The space shuttle version was an all time classic. But I did enjoy the rolling of it while driving through Shefield and all the old 80's pop stars would push it back up right. A bit of an in joke there. The 80's Brit invasion was mainly from bands that got their start in Sheffield. So the idea that driving around all one would see is the aging former stars was part of the joke of that episode.

The car boats episodes were pretty good too. And the constant ignition of the caravans while camping too!!! The personalities of the UK presenters are what makes the show so fun. The dry insulting politically incorrect wit of Jeremy Clarkson, the nerdingness of James May, loved his U2 show too BTW, and of course the cluelessness of Hammond!! Great lot!

The Relian Robin is a good topic of ridicule in the BBC show. Lots of fun with that car. The space shuttle version was an all time classic. But I did enjoy the rolling of it while driving through Shefield and all the old 80's pop stars would push it back up right. A bit of an in joke there. The 80's Brit invasion was mainly from bands that got their start in Sheffield. So the idea that driving around all one would see is the aging former stars was part of the joke of that episode.

The car boats episodes were pretty good too. And the constant ignition of the caravans while camping too!!! The personalities of the UK presenters are what makes the show so fun. The dry insulting politically incorrect wit of Jeremy Clarkson, the nerdingness of James May, loved his U2 show too BTW, and of course the cluelessness of Hammond!! Great lot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8 :rofl:

You could buy one with your cash from you-know-who.

The various Top Gear spin-offs once again show it's the people, not just the concept, that makes or breaks a TV show. Copy a concept and move it across an ocean and don't find great personalities to host it, it's a second-rate blah copy.

nick if it makes you feel any better i now have that damn song stuck in my head

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8 :rofl:

You could buy one with your cash from you-know-who.
My neighbor had a Reliant. It was great fun and he would carefully drive it around the corner in our neighborhood. When he was solo he had a sack of sand that would sit in the PAX seat. Neat little car. But for a low cost I preferred my Ford Cortina Mk3.

Mine died 1 week before I moved back to the states. I ended up giving it to the mechanic that would work on it.

I'm amazed that some of those vultures are offering to buy your lawsuit even if you don't have a judgement yet and "You don't have to pay us back if you lose."

We gotta guess that those goons pay a lot less than a few cents on the dollar.

When you call and you've let them give you the spiel, you can have some fun.

There are some words you can say that should make them scream in terror.

"Net Present Value."

I love it. Next allude to internal rate of return, discount rate and yields. :D

Just to elaborate on Adam's explanation, say someone steals your business idea, and you settle with him for $X/month, to be paid over Y years. Just for ease of math, let's say it ends up totally $100K, to be paid over 200 months ($500/month).

Also, just for ease of math, let's assume that you haven't received any monthly payments yet.

Finally, let's assume that ability to pay isn't a concern - maybe he had some kind of kick-ass insurance or something.

What JG Wentworth and other similar groups do is to buy that from you. They pay you cash to receive your structured settlement. They'll pay you $20K for your $100K judgment.

The advantage to you is that instead of having to wait 40 months to have $20K, you'll have it right away. The advantage to JG Wentowrth is that in 40 months (~3.5 years), they'll have recouped their investment, will start generating a profit, and will ultimately make $80K in the deal.

The highest I've seen on these kinds of deals was about $.40 on the dollar. That was in a structured settlement that was to be paid over roughly a year; I assume that it was so high because the buyer would pretty quickly make his profit.

Most that I've seen, however, are in the $.20's.

In my eyes, it's the same as any other business deal. It is what it is; if you need/want the cash now, as the song goes, maybe it's worth the drastic discount. Maybe that $20K will do more for you now, than $500/mo. over 16 or so years will. Ain't for me to judge, so long as the deal is voluntary and fairly entered into.

I'm amazed that some of those vultures are offering to buy your lawsuit even if you don't have a judgement yet and "You don't have to pay us back if you lose."

We gotta guess that those goons pay a lot less than a few cents on the dollar.

I don't know the first thing about these. But I would assume that, in addition what can only be a drastic discount (I'm sure far more severe than buying a structured settlement), the offer to buy is conditional on some preliminary investigation of the claim itself.

One lump sum of cash, they will pay to you.

Damn, I can't get the opera out of my head. It's a VERY effective commercial.

Just to elaborate on Adam's explanation, say someone steals your business idea, and you settle with him for $X/month, to be paid over Y years. Just for ease of math, let's say it ends up totally $100K, to be paid over 200 months ($500/month)...

"business idea?" Counsel is obviously not from Cook County. These settlements are for personal injury claims. Personal Injury lawsuits are like the top ten grossing businesses in Cook County. My story was working on the system in a bar and hearing every old guy saying, "When I get my settlement..."

Last edited:
I don't know the first thing about these. But I would assume that, in addition what can only be a drastic discount (I'm sure far more severe than buying a structured settlement), the offer to buy is conditional on some preliminary investigation of the claim itself.

I'm playing Texas Hold 'Em online. These guys put up like $2 to steal a $2000 pot.

You can avoid realty, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality: Ann Rand.

Best,

Dave

"business idea?" Counsel is obviously not from Cook County. These settlements are for personal injury claims. Personal Injury lawsuits are like the top ten grossing businesses in Cook County. My story was working on teh system in a bar and hearing every old guy saying, "When I get my settlement..."

For sure, just wanted to make it personal to Nick. :)

Back