I have a dream

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
Today is the 50 year anniversary of Martin Luther King’s riveting speech. I was not there that day, but I was living in Mississippi and working in a place where discrimination and segregation were peeling slowly away. Today, I’d like to reflect on the achievements of the past 50 years.

Segregation and discrimination are no longer the law of the land. Jim Crow has descended into a footnote of history. Fifty years ago, while riding a bus from work to home, I sat at the front of the bus opposite a fashionably-dressed woman of color. Despite a harangue from the bus driver, she retained her seat and he eventually took us both to our homes. That was a beginning. Today, even the lecture would be seen as outrageous. Nevertheless, there is in this day substantial segregation in neighborhoods. Just a few days ago I was counseled not to go into a part of town because, “the further you go in that direction, the ‘darker’ it gets."

Poverty and unemployment still hound the citizens of color in this country. It is getting harder and harder to move from the lowest levels of income to the highest ones. Instead of slavery, we have the bondage of higher rates of incarceration than anywhere else in the world. Is one worse than the other? However, more and more poor and underprivileged individuals are getting more and more education. Education of blacks and poor is improving at every grade.

And, the black community is more at peace with itself and those around them. There is no hint of the riots of the late 1960’s to send shivers of fear throughout the land. The bitterness seems to have been quelled. Blacks and whites sit together in coffee shops, libraries, buses and boardrooms peacefully and without any thought of irregularity. We have come very, very far in fifty years. I hope we can continue going as far in the next fifty.

Good post AP. Thank you for acknowledging the progress that has been made. It has been a slow process, and I am sure that it took way to long for many of the affected, but I foresee the process speeding up. Sure, there will be setback and spurts. There are and will be racists of both colors. But the acceptance of minorities to me seems to be at an all time high. We have several mixed couples that come to our gym. If anyone even notices, it doesn't show. Most of them seem to be happy and mix right in with everyone else.

When I am out and about I will hold a door open for whoever is coming through next, be they male, female, black or white, and I never fail to get a sincere smile and thank you. The reverse often happens to me too. Back in the day, that just didn't happen.

Will we ever be rid of racism? I don't believe so, but I don't believe it will ever (in this country) revert to the mean, hateful kind. I see it as being more of the "college rivalry" kind; you know "Wer'e #1!" Every one wants to be part of the best. That doesn't mean we hate the other guy (unless they are from UGA).

We had a black couple bring their sick cat to us a few years ago. They were cold and distant and did not want to trust us. They questioned and complained about almost everything we recommended. But over time they came to realize that we were not trying to take advantage of them because they were black. We were truly offering what we thought was best for their cat. Similarly, over time we came to realize that the reason they didn't trust us at first was because of the experiences they had endured previously. Eventually, they became some of our best and most "fun" customers. We would all laugh and joke and have a good time; except when we had to put their cat to sleep. They we all cried together.

Last edited:
Good write up, Aunt Peggy.

The "I have a dream" speech symbolized an ideal that this great nation can strive towards. There are people on both sides who want no part of the kind of harmony we are capable of. Fortunately for us, their numbers are dwindling. We are well on our way to what Dr. King and others have challenged us aspire to.

With respect to the economic challenges that seem to plague some more than others, I'm not sure they are along racial lines as they were 50 years ago. I am reminded of a great quote I heard from a successful business man who grew up on the mean streets of Baltimore. He said being unsuccessful in America is like starving to death while locked in a grocery store.

I have a dream, that polar bear hunting can be cured.

I think the election of a black president is a clear indication of how equally blacks are treated in this country. However it is in the human nature to prefer relations with your own kind and should not to be taken as racism or segregation. It is very much like attending a multilingual party. You tend to look for the table that speak your language. Or when in a foreign city you tend to look for churches of your own religion.

But are blacks better off in Africa than in white majority countries? According to inmigration statistics more blacks have emigrated to Europe in recent years than during the slavery period. Obviously due to poverty and hunger. But then I ask my self: Africa had a 50,000 years lead time over Europe to evolve in well developed self sustain land like South America which is at the same latitude. But Africa large scale famine, HIV and wars contrast with South America food plentiful and good health. Why is this?

José

Last edited:
What a lot a people don't seem to realize is that racism is branded into our genes, it's a part of our DNA. From an evolutionary standpoint it was necessary. When the first caveman came up over the hill looking exactly like you but wearing his leopard skin over his left shoulder and your people all wear their leopard skin over the right shoulder - you just know there's gonna be a problem......

According to DNA genotyping, my paternal genotype circa 500 years ago was distributed among the world population as shown in the image. What would you guess was the skin color of my father and his father?

attachment.php

Attachments

• PaternalLine.PNG
    PaternalLine.PNG
    65.3 KB · Views: 234
What a lot a people don't seem to realize is that racism is branded into our genes, it's a part of our DNA. From an evolutionary standpoint it was necessary. When the first caveman came up over the hill looking exactly like you but wearing his leopard skin over his left shoulder and your people all wear their leopard skin over the right shoulder - you just know there's gonna be a problem......

Stone him, he spoke the truth.:wink2:

May just have to write that one down some where. :yes:

:rofl:

According to DNA genotyping, my paternal genotype circa 500 years ago was distributed among the world population as shown in the image. What would you guess was the skin color of my father and his father?

attachment.php

I'd be more interested in phenotype.

I think the election of a black president is a clear indication of how equally blacks are treated in this country. However it is in the human nature to prefer relations with your own kind and should not to be taken as racism or segregation. It is very much like attending a multilingual party. You tend to look for the table that speak your language. Or when in a foreign city you tend to look for churches of your own religion.

But are blacks better off in Africa than in white majority countries? According to inmigration statistics more blacks have emigrated to Europe in recent years than during the slavery period. Obviously due to poverty and hunger. But then I ask my self: Africa had a 50,000 years lead time over Europe to evolve in well developed self sustain land like South America which is at the same latitude. But Africa large scale famine, HIV and wars contrast with South America food plentiful and good health. Why is this?

José

Are you comparing Africans brought to America as slaves to Africans emigrating today on their own free will?

And the reason for the lag despite 50,000 year lead time is the same as American Indians. The Indians too were conservatives. Generation after generation they did the same thing...conservatism at its ultimate. Heck, they never even got around to inventing a wheel or an alphabet.

Add to that political instability and you have what you have.

attachment.php

EVERBODY'S map looks like that ! Where do you think the human genome came from ?

I watched a really great documentary on Racism made by two young black film makers on the documentary channel. The gist of the whole documentary was that racism is big business for people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. Basically the last thing either of them truly want is equality. Without racism those two are nobody's.

EVERBODY'S map looks like that ! Where do you think the human genome came from ?

That map is allegedly for the distribution 500 years ago. Not 23,000 years ago. The heading for the map was:

"Locations of haplogroup E1b1b1a circa 500 years ago, before the era of intercontinental travel."

Contrast it with my maternal (via mitochondrial DNA) line:

"Locations of haplogroup T2 circa 500 years ago, before the era of intercontinental travel."
attachment.php

Attachments

• MaternalLine.PNG
    MaternalLine.PNG
    68.6 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Your example may more accurately be called xenophobic:

Xenophobia is the irrational or unreasoned fear of that which is perceived to be foreign or strange.[1][2] It comes from the Greek words ξένος (xenos), meaning "stranger," "foreigner," and φόβος (phobos), meaning "fear."[3]

Yes, there's a lot of irrational stuff in our genes. Trying to be rational, reasoned and enlightened is what civilization is about. But it's better to just be our natural selves, like cave men dragging their cave women around by their hair. Yep, that's how I like it. :lol:

Your example may more accurately be called xenophobic:

Xenophobia is the irrational or unreasoned fear of that which is perceived to be foreign or strange.[1][2] It comes from the Greek words ξένος (xenos), meaning "stranger," "foreigner," and φόβος (phobos), meaning "fear."[3]

Yes, there's a lot of irrational stuff in our genes. Trying to be rational, reasoned and enlightened is what civilization is about. But it's better to just be our natural selves, like cave men dragging their cave women around by their hair. Yep, that's how I like it. :lol:

Zapp Brannigan said:
Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream. To kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things.

That line from Futurama sums it up pretty good

Are you comparing Africans brought to America as slaves to Africans emigrating today on their own free will?

And the reason for the lag despite 50,000 year lead time is the same as American Indians. The Indians too were conservatives. Generation after generation they did the same thing...conservatism at its ultimate. Heck, they never even got around to inventing a wheel or an alphabet.

Add to that political instability and you have what you have.

You are forgetting that the American Indians arrived at the Americas way before the Europeans, so they were explorers too.

But what makes a country unique besides the topography is its people.
Haiti is an example of this. And there is no segregation or racism there but poverty and hunger, surviving on foreign aid

Here at http://stuffblackpeopledontlike.blogspot.com/2013/05/q-why-is-iceland-free-of-violent-crime.html
is a comparison of the two races.

José

Last edited:
An interesting portion of Dr. King's speech which never discussed:

"But there is something that I must say to my people who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice. In the process of gaining our rightful place, we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred."

It is unfortunate that "his people" are thrown into bitterness by the very people who profess to be their advocates.

"But there is something that I must say to my people who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice. In the process of gaining our rightful place, we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred."

It is unfortunate that "his people" are thrown into bitterness by the very people who profess to be their advocates.

This statement alone shows the golden heart of MLK, but the folks who leave it out may not be so genuine.

Well my own MLK day was great!!

My Little Korean. Damn that chick is hot.

Hati isn't an example of blacks living poorly, it's an example of what happens with no political stability.

Hati used to be the jewel of the Caribbean. France owned it and grew sugar cane. New Orleans was largely used to grow food and industry to support Hati to keep the sugar flowing back to France.

Then the slaves revolted in Hati and the whole thing fell apart. Unable to salvage it France sold their stake in North America to the US Government...the Lousianna Purchase.

Ever since Hati has been in one state of chaos or another. I actually spent a night there a few years back. Scary stuff but something every American should see.

Hati isn't an example of blacks living poorly, it's an example of what happens with no political stability.

Hati used to be the jewel of the Caribbean. France owned it and grew sugar cane. New Orleans was largely used to grow food and industry to support Hati to keep the sugar flowing back to France.

Then the slaves revolted in Hati and the whole thing fell apart. Unable to salvage it France sold their stake in North America to the US Government...the Lousianna Purchase.

Ever since Hati has been in one state of chaos or another. I actually spent a night there a few years back. Scary stuff but something every American should see.
My brother goes there every year on a church mission. He teaches them to build trusses so that their roofs don't fall in.

I did address the bitterness.
And, the black community is more at peace with itself and those around them. There is no hint of the riots of the late 1960’s to send shivers of fear throughout the land. The bitterness seems to have been quelled.

I did address the bitterness.

But Obama, J Jackson, Al Sharpton et al never miss a chance to try to stir the divide. Have you ever listened to MSNBC in the afternoon? Their bitterness is as thick as ever and it is contagious.

And please don't anybody point out how bad FOX is. Even if it were similar it would be irrelevant to the point.

But Obama, J Jackson, Al Sharpton et al never miss a chance to try to stir the divide. Have you ever listened to MSNBC in the afternoon? Their bitterness is as thick as ever and it is contagious.

And please don't anybody point out how bad FOX is. Even if it were similar it would be irrelevant to the point.
Not even close to 1967. The bitterness is nowhere near as strong. We have all come a long way.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_Newark_riots
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avondale,_Cincinnati
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_riot_of_1967
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Riots_in_Tampa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_Plainfield_riots

Yeah, the King Riots* only lasted 5-6 days.

"Cows turn themselves inside out all the time."

*Rodney King. Those were pretty tame. Oh wait, no they weren't.

Last edited:

You and I agree that we have come a long way. But the things I heard during the Zimmerman trial about how blacks are still legally hunted down and murdered makes me think that certain people don't agree with us.

Sounds a lot like ALL of Africa after the Europeans pulled out !

A lot of suppressed information emerged after the Zimmerman trial was over. It casts much doubt over which party was the hunter and which was the hunted. Those with doubts about the objectivity of media coverage could use this case as their poster child.

You and I agree that we have come a long way. But the things I heard during the Zimmerman trial about how blacks are still legally hunted down and murdered makes me think that certain people don't agree with us.

What are the statistics on whites hunting down and killing blacks, legally or illegally?

My brother goes there every year on a church mission. He teaches them to build trusses so that their roofs don't fall in.

Clearly he's one of those "evil religion" type of folks we've heard about in other threads here. :rolleyes: :D

Very true. I just look for Obama bumper stickers. ;)

Joking aside, nice post AP.

I do disagree with the black community being at peace, which isn't held up by crime statistics. They're certainly at more peace than 50 years ago, but they're still killing too many people.

Personally I wouldn't bother creating a racial statistic like that, and would focus on their economic level, but some racist did, so I just report the facts, as presented.

I'm surprised the FBI is even allowed to break down the stats. Very discriminatory.

I guess criminals aren't yet allowed to opt out of providing their race when they pass through Central Booking for "Marketing and Statistical Purposes only". There's no " I prefer not to answer" checkbox.

Definitely more work to do.

Back