How often have you had a gps failure with your 3G Ipad2 with gps

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Just trying to find out if there is anything to the second hand reports of gps failures. I have had such great reliability that I have to question it.

What kind of failures? Lack f signal or actual hardware failures?

Voted never, have lost signal but putting the iPad up into a window and it's back to 5-10m accuracy.

Well o-kay! Looks like we have our answer, thanks for participating - and so quickly. I guess I was right:

Attachments

• poll.JPG
    poll.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 22
What kind of failures? Lack f signal or actual hardware failures?

Let's not get technical.
You turn on FF or WX and it can't tell you where you are.
Stick to low level flight in ordinary flivvers, too.

I've flown around 400 hours with foreflight and have never had a gps issue. It does crash quite often but it launches in seconds and gets a fix within seconds so I never really care.

Wow Jesse, I can't remember the last time mine crashed. You got the memory stoked full?

I flew from Denver to Florida and back with my 1st Gen IPad and had no issues whatsoever with either Foreflight or Flightguide IEFB.

My choice of rarely was based on my use of the iPad2 on an airliner at FL350 with the iPad next to the window. It occasionally would lose satellite reception but recover within 15 seconds on average. This is probably quite good considering the view of the sky it had.

Like many of the others here I have not had any problems while using the iPad in the airplanes I fly (Skyhawks and Cherokees).

Rich

Got my iPad a few days ago, my Bad Elf came in today. Somebody tell me I need it.

I personally don't like the bad elf. It's way too easy to knock off the iPad. I never made it through a single flight where I didn't accidentally knock it out or unplug it. I also broke my dock connector with one as it stresses the connector easily.

I eventually just got an iPad with the built in GPS instead and like it very-much-so.

I voted never, in a GA flight. Trying it out / not working sitting commercial doesn't count right?

Back