I hate Windows 8

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
Hi everyone,

My old laptop filled up. (Gateway swivel head tablet, 2006) I purchased a new Toshiba laptop with Winddows 8 and hurried home. Two weeks later, I returned the laptop and brought home a google tablet. 7" screen and too hard for this old man to read. Returned tablet.

Purchased IPAD with dual camera and retina display.

So this PC guy now uses an IPAD. I love it, I just love it.

I cleaned up my old PC and now am a happy camper.

One more thing, I have been trying to add Greenwich time to my world clock on my IPAD. Help please. I just don't find it listed.

Terry :yes:

Looks like World Clock app takes the city of interest only and hides the timezone offset. You can just use London or any other cities that are on GMT.

I run Windows 8 on two of my home computers with no issues. It faster than Windows 7 on the same hardware. If you are running Windows XP on your old computer, you will need to upgrade or retire it by April 8, 2014 (end of support). There will be no more security updates or support after that date, putting your system and data at a high risk of picking up malware or a virus. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/endofsupport.aspx

John,
I just didn't like the interface. I don't use social media much and found it clumsy and hard to navigate.

Thanks for the reply, though.
Terry

Looks like World Clock app takes the city of interest only and hides the timezone offset. You can just use London or any other cities that are on GMT.

Good idea, just need to check the city doesn't have their version of daylight savings time, like London does.

Thanks,
I will put a reminder on my calendar.

Terry

Don't know if it does in Win 8 but Vista gives the option of not observing DST. I have my Zulu clock set that way.

If you look at the FOREXLIVE web site, it shows London and GMT: they aren't the same right now (one hour apart).
Not a Windows 8 fan either.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
I've always wondered what event would herald the end of that sorry Windows crap at my place.
I run Windows 8 on two of my home computers with no issues. It faster than Windows 7 on the same hardware. If you are running Windows XP on your old computer, you will need to upgrade or retire it by April 8, 2014 (end of support). There will be no more security updates or support after that date, putting your system and data at a high risk of picking up malware or a virus. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/endofsupport.aspx

Win8 is a great OS under the hood. I think there's unanimity about that. A lot of us just hate the interface, and we won't give MS a dime of our money until they give us back the one we like.

I'm even leaning more and more toward switching to a Mac should MS decide not to restore the classic interface as an option, just to spite Microsoft for blowing off their customers' wishes.

-Rich

Windows 7 seems to have a problem with advanced format drives breaking Windows Update. I've tried all the fixes I could find online, including ones from Microsoft, Western Digital, and Intel, but none of them work on my computer, so I ended up going back to a smaller hard drive. Does anyone know if Windows 8 fixes this problem?

Windows 7 seems to have a problem with advanced format drives breaking Windows Update. I've tried all the fixes I could find online, including ones from Microsoft, Western Digital, and Intel, but none of them work on my computer, so I ended up going back to a smaller hard drive. Does anyone know if Windows 8 fixes this problem?

It looks like there is some improved support:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh848035(v=vs.85).aspx

Common NamesReported Logical Sector SizeReported Physical Sector SizeWindows Version with Support

512-byte Native, 512n512 bytes512 bytesAll Windows versions

Advanced Format, 512e, AF, 512-byte Emulation512 bytes4 KB
Windows 8
Windows Server 2012
Windows 7 w/ MS KB 982018
Windows 7 SP1
Windows Server 2008 R2 w/ MS KB 982018
Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
Windows Vista w/ MS KB 2553708
Windows Server 2008 w/ MS KB 2553708

Advance Format, AF, 4K Native, 4Kn4 KB4 KB
Windows 8
Windows Server 2012

OtherNot 4 KB or 512 bytesNot 4 KB or 512 bytesNot supported

Well, they lost me because of Windows 8.

I still have a Windows 7 on a new desktop and Windows XP on my Gateway laptop but was forced to do something different because my laptop hard drive was full.

Went to the IPAD and after one evening of sitting in the recliner, I am very satisfied. My wife is already complaining that her Windows 7 is slow. Works okay but just slower than XP.

I remember when Microsoft owned the market and the only people with Apple products were educators and newspapers. Microsoft was top dog and relaxed and when they did Apple came out with the IPOD, IPhone, and now the IPAD.

The programmers were able to freely write programs for PC's and Apple guarded their systems very tightly.

Anyway, now Apple is a force to be reckoned with.

Just a "old senior viewpoint."

Terry :)

I have Windows 8 on our laptop, and I hate it also. I didn't go as far as you (i.e. returning it) but I was real tempted to go with Apple this time. My wife said our software wouldn't run on Apple, so I stuck with this less than satisfying operating system.

Local wipe says MS has agreed to make some changes.

I get amused when I watch the Windows 8 commercial where all the young people are sitting around the table and twisting and turning and flipping their tablets all around and making all kinds of gyrations. In other words, doing everything but working on their computers. :goofy:

That can't run Windows 8 either.

Anyway, I need to find a text editor/word processor that will do both Windows and Mac. Nothing fancy, but have just decided to make the move since Apple has improved their product a lot.

Terry

Well, they lost me because of Windows 8.

I still have a Windows 7 on a new desktop and Windows XP on my Gateway laptop but was forced to do something different because my laptop hard drive was full.

Went to the IPAD and after one evening of sitting in the recliner, I am very satisfied. My wife is already complaining that her Windows 7 is slow. Works okay but just slower than XP.

I remember when Microsoft owned the market and the only people with Apple products were educators and newspapers. Microsoft was top dog and relaxed and when they did Apple came out with the IPOD, IPhone, and now the IPAD.

The programmers were able to freely write programs for PC's and Apple guarded their systems very tightly.

Anyway, now Apple is a force to be reckoned with.

Just a "old senior viewpoint."

Terry :)

What's ironic is that this time around, MS is poised to lose market share and boost Apple's fortunes in the process despite having produces a fundamentally good OS. In the past, they lost share, and deservedly so, because they released crap. This time around, it's because of their own stubbornness in making some simple (relatively speaking) UI changes to satisfy their customers' demands.

I personally think that Windows 7, all things considered, has been the best "new" Windows release. It fixed the things about Vista that made it slow, clunky, and unstable; fixed most of the UAC and backward-compatibility problems; and restored some familiar UI features that Vista users had complained about having been removed.

XP users who had skipped Vista usually found the transition from XP to Win7 to be relatively painless, and most actually preferred it once they got used to the changes.

Win 7 is also a fundamentally better OS than previous releases. Other than the occasional malware infection, the only ongoing source of annoyance I've encountered with Windows 7, both as a user and as a former consultant / support tech, have been registry problems. And even the registry problems tend toward the bloat variety, which merely make the system sluggish and can be easily cleaned up by a competent user and freely-available software (like CCleaner, for example); rather than the registry problems of old, which could make the system unbootable, and were beyond the ability of most users to fix by themselves.

In fact, subjectively, I have to say that Windows 7 is probably the Windows release that users are happiest with. I base this on almost never hearing complaints about it.

Win 98, Me, and Vista could provoke a nun to cussing (literally -- I never heard nuns use foul language until a convent called me after "upgrading" to Win Me). XP was loved immediately because it was so much better than what it replaced, but it didn't take long before its susceptibility to malware and its habit of rapidly outgrowing the hardware resources of computers it was installed on started raising grumbles.

The marriage between Windows 7 and users, on the other hand, has been almost idyllic. And why not? It's a stable, efficient, robust operating system that runs their programs nicely and preserves the interface that they're familiar with. What's there to complain about?

So what does MS do? They follow up what's probably their most popular operating system -- the one that has finally succeeded in keeping their user base happy, content, and quiet -- and they go ahead and scrap a big part of the reason why their users like it so much.

And why did they do this?

To make it look like a phone.

I have held off buying or building a Win 8 PC, despite recognizing the serious improvements in the fundamentals of the underlying system, because I don't like the UI. But more and more, I'm leaning toward switching to Mac just out of principle: I don't want to fork over money to Microsoft if they're going to ignore what their users so clearly have expressed that they want.

MS may control how their software looks and feels, but I still control whether or not they get my money; and unless they give me what I want, my money will go elsewhere or stay in my pocket.

That's really what it comes down to for me, so I guess I'm being as stubborn as MS is. But in this game, I have the advantage because the money is still mine to control, and there is an alternative that will run all the software I actually need at least as well as Windows does.

-Rich

Last edited:
I get amused when I watch the Windows 8 commercial where all the young people are sitting around the table and twisting and turning and flipping their tablets all around and making all kinds of gyrations. In other words, doing everything but working on their computers. :goofy:

That can't run Windows 8 either.

Anyway, I need to find a text editor/word processor that will do both Windows and Mac. Nothing fancy, but have just decided to make the move since Apple has improved their product a lot.

Terry

http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/sys_reqs_aoo34.html

Missteps have pushed me to IPad and Iphone from Andriod. Still, I hate I can't run files from an external hard drive where I have a LOT of movies and files created on a PC. I HATE Itunes. Why can't I just move a file to Ipad or just play it from my external HD?
Tried to download a word file from an e-mail and I could open, but not save it.

Best,

Dave

Missteps have pushed me to IPad and Iphone from Andriod. Still, I hate I can't run files from an external hard drive where I have a LOT of movies and files created on a PC. I HATE Itunes. Why can't I just move a file to Ipad or just play it from my external HD?

That is what the Droid platform is using as their main sales pitch. I agree, its crazy.

I tried to install a hotfix linked on that Web page on one of the problem drives, but it wouldn't install.

The odd thing about that page is that it claims that advanced format drives work with Vista and Windows 7, but not XP. My experience has been just the opposite. I had a similar lack of results from another Microsoft Web page I visited. If Windows 8 solves it, that would be a plus, but so far, Microsoft's efforts on this problem don't inspire me with confidence.

Back