I hate trade shows

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by saddletramp, Jan 2, 2018.

1. saddletramp

saddletramp Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    saddletramp
    So maybe its because I've been in my industry for over three decades I dread going to trade shows. I have three straight weeks of them. Two as an attendee & the last one as a vendor. Florida, Idaho, then at my home state of Washington.

I'm employed in a very specialized segment of farm machinery. Potatoes to be specific. The industry has a very low turn over in customers. Potato farms are getting larger with fewer owners so at a trade show you don't meet a lot of new people.

With all the info & videos offered on the web I question how productive the time spent at trade shows really is.

When I was new in the industry & much younger in age the nightlife after the trade shows was amazing. With all the concern over liability even that has tempered.

Oh well, it's only three weeks.

2. 455 Bravo Uniform

455 Bravo Uniform Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    455 Bravo Uniform
    It sucks to dread work. Sometimes I travel for work 3 weeks in a row. I hate the countdown to a trip and during the 3 week stretch. Been doing this for over 20 years. I try to switch it up by doing something different with my trips - different airport, different hotel, new people. The one thing I don't do is stretch the trip out for sightseeing or other activities because I'm ready to get home.

3. AggieMike88

AggieMike88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Now offering reverse discounts.
    So... addicted to spuds? You can’t deny, they have a-peel.

May you always dream of bacon bits and sour cream.

4. Bill Jennings

Bill Jennings Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    This page intentionally left blank
    I do trade shows rarely enough that I actually like getting out of the office for a while. Go figure!

5. JOhnH

JOhnH Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Spun Out
    I used to have to attend trade shows as part of my job. After a while I got to hate it so much I really felt sorry for those that had to attend as an exhibitor. I think after I had to answer the same question for the millionth time, I would go postal on someone.

6. Stewartb

Stewartb En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    stewartb
    I was required to work trade shows when I worked for someone else. I haven't attended one in 30 years, thank goodness. I don't even go to aviation trade shows. I hate the whole vibe. Sales people vs tire kickers.

7. EppyGA

EppyGA Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Let's Fly
    It was my job for 10 years. When I first started we had one the week after Thanksgiving and had to travel on that Sunday. Then we started doing CES which was right after New Years. Since I was behind the scenes technical staff the show itself was boring as we did nothing but make sure things stayed working.

8. Let'sgoflying!

Let'sgoflying! Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Taylor
    When I attend my trade shows, it's pretty easy to tell the fresh-faced new kids at their first few shows; all excited and happy, motormouthing to get you to love their product! (the longtimers do look pretty grouchy)

9. wsuffa

wsuffa Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bill S.
    I used to have to go to NAB as an attendee, a couple of years as an exhibitor. Las Vegas is fun the first time or two, then it's a place I don't care to see again. The shows were "meh" - I got it down to a couple of days to meet clients, then I was done. Glad I don't do that any more.

10. kayoh190

kayoh190 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kayoh@190
    My Dad was a computer guy and went to trade shows while I was growing up. When you're 7 years old, it's pretty awesome when your Dad comes home from Vegas with a bag full of swag from the vendors. It's all a bunch of useless crap to an adult, but to a little kid, it's a gold mine!

BavarianPilot and murphey like this.
  11. Walboy

Walboy Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Walboy
    I've seen the major avionics reps' eyes glaze over at airshows when they hear 65+ year old Joe Pilot ramble on and on and on with no intention of buying anything. How they keep their composure is a mystery to me. Meanwhile, potential paying customers walk away because they can't get a word in.

BavarianPilot, G-Man, Brad Z and 2 others like this.
  12. eman1200

eman1200 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    eman1200
    potatoes get their own trade show? dang, I mean I like sweet potatoes and all.......

13. Dave Arata

Dave Arata Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave
    While some trade shows can get a little long in the tooth, it's still exciting to attend SNF and OSH. Even as a vendor. :)

G-Man likes this.
  14. SoCal RV Flyer

SoCal RV Flyer Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoCal RV Flyer
    If you can trade off with your co-workers and get out of the booth to see the show, it's easier. Did a stint with an automotive company and we spent eight straight days at Barrett-Jackson in Scottsdale. Watching the auctions on my breaks was the only thing that saved my sanity! Coffee from the vendors was quite good; mass quantities consumed. :)

15. Ventucky Red

Ventucky Red Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    John S
    IMPO… trade shows a dying a very slow death.

When I first got into my career we did trade shows… we did about four major conventions a year. But we wrote business; along with this was an opportunity for some of our customers to rub elbows with the company execs, air some dirty laundry, close some big deals, and of course get wined and dined… this was back in 1984..

However every year these shows are getting smaller and smaller… I have to make a decision on a few coming up in the fall and after last two years I am a little hesitant to make the commitment.. I would rather take the money and focus it on the key clients where hopefully it will do some good in moving our business forward.

16. Ravioli

Ravioli En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pasta Man
    Funny thing happened at OSH this year. [True story alert]

Since you all know about my love for AOA indicators...

I was about two booths away from the one that has a little gadget with a wing that you can move and make a doughnut light up and all that mess. (nothing to simulate relative wind though)

A man in his late 60's and (most likely) his wife are waking away from the booth and she says "That seems like a good idea" and he says "Yeah, can't believe we've survived 30 years without it."

When I stopped laughing Lisa and I went to the massage chair sales booth to relax and not buy anything.

17. jkaduk

jkaduk Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    John Kaduk
    NAMM show is pretty good. Definitely an interesting crowd. A few rock stars wandering around. Some musicians demoing products that are so awesome you wonder why they aren't world famous. Every kind of musical instrument imaginable on display.
    https://www.namm.org/

Justin M likes this.
  18. Salty

Salty Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty
    Time for you to branch out to yams.

455 Bravo Uniform likes this.
  19. Clark1961

Clark1961 Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    Display name:
    but, but, but sweet potatoes aren't potatoes at all. Anyway, what ya really want is a nice juicy tomato...

20. Brad Z

Brad Z En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brad Z
    Which is why it's good to rotate folks when possible and cycle through the newbies.

21. Brad Z

Brad Z En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brad Z
    If you think that's bad, those same guys come up to me at my booth and tell me about all of the regs they've violated, either inadvertently or intentionally. I'm thinking to myself "You know this is the FAA booth, right?" as I talk to them. Ultimately, I do my best to educate them, but I can't help but think more than a few of these aviators probably need to hang up their wings or choose another hobby. Regardless, I love chatting with other pilots, but when there's a line forming I've learned to diplomatically shut down the ramblers (or send them over to another booth, lol) when necessary.

G-Man likes this.
  22. Lachlan

Lachlan Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lachlan
    Whoa, son! Sweet potaters are a whole ‘nuther show!

23. Walboy

Walboy Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Walboy
    I went to the PHX Tracon booth at Copperstate where the FAA rep was bored beyond tears, being completely ignored. I wandered by and told him what great job I thought they did, especially the all the big iron and flight schools etc. Next thing you know I had an invite to tour the Tracon and tower at PHX. I accepted the offer and it was one of the best three hours in aviation I have ever spent. I'm a lot more understanding of what happens on the other side of the mic now.

24. saddletramp

saddletramp Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    saddletramp
    I knew I'd regret bringing up potatoes. It's a curse. When people find out you're in the potato business potato conversations dominate the evening.

There are many mis-conceptions about potatoes.

Idaho doesn't grow the best potatoes. Washington does.

Yams & sweet potatoes aren't real potatoes.

Potatoes by themselves are very healthy. It's all the crap we put on them & they way they are prepared that make them unhealthy.

Potatoes aren't native to the United States.

Most vodka isn't made with potatoes.

If you purchase large costco size potato chips bags at sea level & then climb to 9,500' they will be all over your baggage compartment & when they "pop" you'll look at your copilot & inquire..."what was that?" Don't ask me how I know this.

For tonight, Forrest, that's about all I have to say about potatoes.