I hate NASCAR, but....

gibbons

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iRide
... I happened to channel surf to the Pepsi 400 during the last yellow and watched the rest of the race. I gotta say that was an exciting finish, and I didn't hear "Junior" once. For a "go slow and turn left" race, it was a good one.

"slaps some sense back into Chip"

-points in direction of road course racing-

my job here is done...

JK!!

Though I can't stand NASCRAP as a rule; I also watched the last of this night's race and enjoyed it...
My wife follows it closely and she likes it. To keep piece in the house I try to keep a working knowledge of the made-for media Circus...

I did watch Allison, Petty, ect. when it was "Stock Car" racing (70's-80's) as a kid and really got into it.

As a rule I like the Commercials with the Nascar drivers better than I like the "race"; the commercial's are funny!

Chris

ah Chip has begun to see the light

I had a chance to go to the race. My oldest son had two tickets that he got from his boss who is some kind of bigwig for NASCAR. In fact, he is such a bigwig whenever he gets a new Porsche or Mercedes, he goes to Daytona to run it on the track! But I had other things to do, so I couldn't go. He took his little brother instead.

To keep piece in the house I try to keep a working knowledge of the made-for media Circus...
I think ya got that backward!

The media wasn't interested in NASCAR but for a couple major races a year. It was sent to the back lot, so to speak. Thanks to Bill France, Jr's marketing genius and the growing number of fans, the media outlets wanted a piece of the action and they grabbed it; and managed to keep it, on France's terms.

In Atlanta alone, the two major racing weekends at Atlanta Motor Speedway brings in more revenue than the entire seasons of the Braves, Hawks and Falcons. You say it's media-driven. I say it's fan-driven.

So... blame your wife! :)

I LOVED NASCAR in the Petty/Yarborough/Allison days. Man, we'd watch every race. Of course, that was before the days of 24hr sports channels. You pretty much had an NFL game, a baseball game, and whatever the Wide World of Sports had to offer.

I can't really watch NASCAR now. Don't know why, there sure is a lot of passin' and crashin'. For some unknown reason I'm drawn to Formula 1, Le Mans, and WRC. I guess I'm a euroweenie.

I saw a nice American Lemans race today, held at Limerock. it needs a little more variety in cars though...

I think ya got that backward!

The media wasn't interested in NASCAR but for a couple major races a year. It was sent to the back lot, so to speak. Thanks to Bill France, Jr's marketing genius and the growing number of fans, the media outlets wanted a piece of the action and they grabbed it; and managed to keep it, on France's terms.

In Atlanta alone, the two major racing weekends at Atlanta Motor Speedway brings in more revenue than the entire seasons of the Braves, Hawks and Falcons. You say it's media-driven. I say it's fan-driven.

So... blame your wife! :)

I can't dispute any of that. I will go on record as saying, however, that NASCAR will go the way of line dancing and the cigar bar. The hard-core will still enjoy it, but the fad will pass. I just don't see anyting there to hold your wife's interest for long, and just how many "yeeehaaaaws" can you listen to in one sitting?

Still, as a fan of good racing, the finish the other night was a dandy, and I have to give them credit for that.

I can't dispute any of that. I will go on record as saying, however, that NASCAR will go the way of line dancing and the cigar bar. The hard-core will still enjoy it, but the fad will pass. I just don't see anyting there to hold your wife's interest for long, and just how many "yeeehaaaaws" can you listen to in one sitting?

Still, as a fan of good racing, the finish the other night was a dandy, and I have to give them credit for that.
Care to take a long term wager on that? It grows each season. It continues to surpass all other sports with a wider fan base. Oddly, for it to be such a fad and just a "southern thing" as so many claim, there sure is a lot of money being spent across the nation in quite a few "yankee" areas for new tracks.

I saw the highlights from some indy or formula series race today, I think at Watkins Glenn. The fistfight between a driver and some other guy (maybe an owner) reminded me of something I would see on....NASCAR :) so did the winner burning out at the finish line to celebrate.

Care to take a long term wager on that? It grows each season. It continues to surpass all other sports with a wider fan base. Oddly, for it to be such a fad and just a "southern thing" as so many claim, there sure is a lot of money being spent across the nation in quite a few "yankee" areas for new tracks.

I think NASCAR will hit a high point soon and start heading south. Even I've tired of the cheating. It's reminding me of the local track my dad races at. If you've got the money, you can cheat and get away with it. :/ I know there's cheating in every sport, but it seems like it's just becoming more and more apparent in NASCAR.

I think NASCAR will hit a high point soon and start heading south. Even I've tired of the cheating. It's reminding me of the local track my dad races at. If you've got the money, you can cheat and get away with it. :/ I know there's cheating in every sport, but it seems like it's just becoming more and more apparent in NASCAR.
Care to cite an example of cheating that where those involved escaped unnoticed? I think you need to take a good look at how Mike Helton has addressed any attempt at cheating or even unintentional cheating.

The standards in NASCAR are the highest of any sport. Do you know of another sport where you get suspended for merely a DUI arrest? The other big three sports, you have to get a criminal drug conviction or two before you're out of the game, let alone out of the sport.

Doesn't the NBA and the NFL require felony arrests as a prerequisite to enter their sports league?
:rofl: One could reasonably assume this given some of the events.

Kurt Busch was suspended in Phoenix for just being stopped for speeding and showing disrespect for the officer on the night before the race at PIR. Ever see that in other sports? By the way, that suspension was by his own boss, not even NASCAR who would have acted if the team owner didn't.

By the way, where is Shane Hmiel these days?

If I recall correctly, Hmiel is racing in ISCARS.

If he were in the NBA he'd be on a pedistal :(

Care to take a long term wager on that?
You know, if I could figure out a way to do that I would. You think we'll be on the board in four or five years to see? I'm open to suggestions. If you win I'll buy and wear a "Bill O'Riley" t-shirt all day. If I win you buy and wear a "Hillary for President" t-shirt all day. :D

Care to cite an example of cheating that where those involved escaped unnoticed?
That would be hard to do, right? I mean, if they escaped unnoticed how would we know?

The word I heard on the skewed tech inspections came second hand from one of the top Cup contenders. I didn't hear it directly so it sure isn't proof, but once removed from someone I trust makes it believable to me.

The word I heard on the skewed tech inspections came second hand from one of the top Cup contenders. I didn't hear it directly so it sure isn't proof, but once removed from someone I trust makes it believable to me.
The mention of money implied a pay off. That's my concern of your statement.

If I recall correctly, Hmiel is racing in ISCARS.

If he were in the NBA he'd be on a pedistal :(
His options are limited. NASCAR banned him for life. That certasinly hurts him with other sanctioning bodies.

"...think ya got that backward!"

Kennyflys

I was actually speaking of what it is now (Made for Media circus) not how it got where it is...

IMHO if the spotters were gone, the SuperTeams limited to two cars, the pits were open all the time and the only criteria for the cars were safety equipment,weight and wheelbase I believe I would again call NASCAR "racing" again...

Like the NFL NASCAR has been regulated to death. To some it is the end-all and be-all of motorsports, I am just not one of the faithful!

JMPO
Chris

Back