I hate my directional gyro

So what makes SIRS so good? Does it reduce lead/lag? Does it remove reverse azimuth sensing? From what I can see, it has REALLY clear numbers and tick marks but other than that, it looks like a normal OEM whiskey compass. What am I missing?

So what makes SIRS so good? Does it reduce lead/lag? Does it remove reverse azimuth sensing? From what I can see, it has REALLY clear numbers and tick marks but other than that, it looks like a normal OEM whiskey compass. What am I missing?
Once swung the corrections are less than 2 degrees. Damping is much better than the OEM it replaced.

Once swung the corrections are less than 2 degrees. Damping is much better than the OEM it replaced.
WHAT?? No Lead Lag issues? Not possible. Tim said so. He was even whistling about it!

If you install the aspen 1000, you will never have to adjust your DG. It is automatic on both the Aspen and my backup L3. I did not know how much I would like this feature.

Seems convoluted compared to "Left is always a lower number and right is higher ... unless you're turning through due north..."

I've never had trouble seeing that.

Ah but your students may! :) Tim's method works for my brain.

Could also be a loose vacuum line or cracked fitting. Possibly clogged vacuum inlet filter. All of these are a lot cheaper than a new DG

Unfortunately it was the internals on the DG. The damn thing came from together and the front of it just started spinning in circles. 700 bucks later and the "new" overhauled unit precesses at a rate of like 3 degrees per hour.

That's nice. Who did you send it to?

Local shop at KLGB. Atlas Instruments. http://www.atlasinstruments.net/

Flew the plane to him, he pulled the old unit, replaced it with the OH'd unit and sent me on my way. Provided my CC info the day before and it was all pretty straightforward. Only nightmare was trying to get into the airport with all the training flights going on.

So the $700 included remove and replace? I hope so. I need to exchange mine for one infested with bug.

So the $700 included remove and replace? I hope so. I need to exchange mine for one infested with bug.

Just double checked my invoice. $645 all in. $550 for the unit/exchange and $95 R&R.

If you need a good deal on a bug infested DG, I'm sure David at Atlas can hook you up with a newly broken one that has a 'heading bug' in it.

We've recently installed a vertical card compass and it's been a great aid in keeping track of our precessing DG. As for the DG we've tried setting the heading bug on approach to align with course indicator as displayed on the GPS, a GTN 750. This keeps us from second guessing the heading which can be a distraction during an instrument approach.

Some day we hope to replace the DG with one of the new solid state indicators like the Garmin G5.

Back