I hate mowing.

Here was my solution to my mowing getting bothersome...but it kind of snowballed....got three Lamancha whethers, then began hearing more coyotes, so got the llama as a guard animal... all very cool critters. Goats do challenge fences tho...old saying amongst goaters: “if your fence will hold water it’ll hold goats”. Goats are also tough on trees.
View attachment 77427
Never head of llamas being guard animals, Ive always seen donkeys. That's cool though, Ive thought about making an alpaca farm.

Goats...oh man my in laws have 30 of them and while they keep the grass down you definently have to have a stout fence. The grass is always better on the other side! Hahaha not to mention those that get their head stuck in the fence, then I get to wrestle with it getting it in stuck.

I have a 10 acre field that I bush hog 4 times a year. Since cows don't need a fence to secure fort Knox and they don't need the shelter I'm thinking about getting a few. But then the thought of more animals to take care of...hmm....

Never head of llamas being guard animals, Ive always seen donkeys. That's cool though, Ive thought about making an alpaca farm.

Goats...oh man my in laws have 30 of them and while they keep the grass down you definently have to have a stout fence. The grass is always better on the other side! Hahaha not to mention those that get their head stuck in the fence, then I get to wrestle with it getting it in stuck.

I have a 10 acre field that I bush hog 4 times a year. Since cows don't need a fence to secure fort Knox and they don't need the shelter I'm thinking about getting a few. But then the thought of more animals to take care of...hmm....

"I know an old lady who swallowed a fly...."
Lawn mowing is a fly compared to caring for animals. I mow a bit over one hilly, bumpy acre with a push mower...takes me about three hours when I do the whole thing at once (and I usually do). In spring I have to do it twice a week, but by mid summer I can get away w/ every 8 days or so. Animals... a few times a day, every day. I love animals, and hate mowing. I'll still take the freedom of mowing.

You guys don't hire this stuff out? What's the point of going to work if not to earn money so you can sit on the porch and drink beer watching other people do this kind of stuff?

You guys don't hire this stuff out? What's the point of going to work if not to earn money so you can sit on the porch and drink beer watching other people do this kind of stuff?
Going to work pays for the plane, everything else I have to do myself.

Seems the most popular American solution is to pay someone to do the exercise of mowing, then pay someone else at the gym so that the homeowner can get some exercise.

But then the thought of more animals to take care of...hmm....
Llamas, especially the males, have an inherent antipathy toward canines of all ilks.
Alpacas.....dunno, they’re smaller and I think more docile.
(also do your research on the alpaca/industrial complex - strikes me as a bit of a pyramid scheme. Those who got in early got rich; can’t import alpacas anymore and breed stock are incredibly expensive)

Back