I hate mowing the lawn

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
Not sure if it's the steep hill that is nearly impossible to climb or the fact that almost every time I want to just mow really quick I end up having to repair the mower.

Here's today's lovely failure

iphone293.jpg

Get goats.
Get chain.
Get car axle.

Put chain on goats neck.
Place other end of chain on car axle.
Drive axle into ground, thereby keeping goats in a designated area. Occasionally move goat around to new grass area.

Problem solved.

I hate to point out the obvious but aren't you the "cow" man?

Get goats.
Get chain.
Get car axle.

Put chain on goats neck.
Place other end of chain on car axle.
Drive axle into ground, thereby keeping goats in a designated area. Occasionally move goat around to new grass area.

Problem solved.

I've actually broached the idea of getting goats with my wife. She actually wasn't interested.... one time I actually want another animal on our property and she's not interested. o_O

Modern artificial turf looks very realistic... I put it in the side yard and back yard, with real grass still out in front. The city paid for half the cost, 'cause I'm doing my part for water savings.

I still take pride in having a nice, green, well-manicured lawn for curb appeal, but it's priceless to not have to drag the mower out back.

Obviously something is missing in the picture, but it is not obvious to those of us that do not have a mower like that.

Obviously something is missing in the picture, but it is not obvious to those of us that do not have a mower like that.
Look at the rusty spot just above the black sticker, then look at the bracket laying just above that.

That bracket is supposed to be welded to the mower deck like the other one. It broke off somehow, I'm not sure how but I suspect corrosion + fatigue. These brackets are what the deck "hangs" from under the mower.

This is a 54" deck, takes me a couple hours to do both yards... I'd love to switch to a large tractor mounted finish mower but with all the trees to maneuver around it wouldn't really be practical.

So what you are saying is that you didn't do a preflight on your mower deck? Bad things happen when pilots get the dreaded " getyardmoweditus"! You need to make and use a checklist from now on.

I'll make you a heckuva deal on a horse, as long as my wife doesn't find out where it went.

Just think of it as a riding weed eater......

My 3pt deck did the same thing...I took it to a local welder: the guy fixed it, improved it by adding gussets to both sides, and then repainted it using matching paint. I thought to myself, "maybe I should have gotten a price first because this is going to hurt." When I asked the guy how much I owed him, he said, "55." I thought to myself, "Fifty-five hundred dollars!? The mower deck only cost $2000." But then I realized he meant "$55". That guy was awesome.

Not to add insult to injury, but sometimes you get what you pay for. That stamped deck isn't the best in terms of durability, so I'm not surprised that you have repairs after mowings. I've got a hand-me-down rider that keeps on ticking, despite being a cheap purchase back in '94. I replace small things once a year and limp it along, but I'll be buying something much more heavy duty when mine finally lays down. Welded steel deck, steel frame, and independent hydrostatic drive pumps. I may look a little trashy mowing with no hood and broken plastic fairings, but it was free and gets the job done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It come from together, you return it to together.

So what you are saying is that you didn't do a preflight on your mower deck? Bad things happen when pilots get the dreaded " getyardmoweditus"! You need to make and use a checklist from now on.

Deferred maintenance! :sigh: :nonod:

Cowman, just move part of the herd into the front yard and part of the herd into the back yard. Post-mowing cleanup will be a little more work, I suggest waiting a couple of days for the patties to harden before picking them up. :p

Not sure if it's the steep hill that is nearly impossible to climb or the fact that almost every time I want to just mow really quick I end up having to repair the mower.

Love watching my Robo Mower do the lawn. ;)

Time for an up grade

Attachments

• HPIM0465.jpg
    HPIM0465.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 36
I concur on mowing the lawn hatred. I did it every weekend Mar - Oct growing up. Something was always breaking to make the 3 hour chore turn into an all day one. Plus the relentless dumping of the clippings bag....

I enjoy mowing the lawn. So I bought a bigger lawn and a bigger mower.

I only bag if if the weeds grew to seed or if the trees have dumped leaves.

That bracket is supposed to be welded to the mower deck like the other one. It broke off somehow, I'm not sure how but I suspect corrosion + fatigue. These brackets are what the deck "hangs" from under the mower.
I can tell your shop has a serious depletion of baling wire!

one thing leads to another:
- mowing getting to be almost a full time job,
- let's get some goats
- need fencing (old saying amongst goat owners "if your fences will hold water, they'll hold goats")
- get three Lamancha wethers,
- dog bites goat, goat gets iliac crest abscess, goat goes to UGa large animal hospital, twice
- begin hearing coyotes closer,
- get a guard llama, install ground level electric fence,
- llama gets the dwindles and stops eating, llama goes to UGA large animal hospital w diagnosis of "ADR",
starts eating again,
- meanwhile, goats are killing all the trees by stripping their bark,
- one goat drowns in pond,
- one goat dying of mysterious neurological illness, to UGA
- wife and I get rabies immune globulin and rabies vaccination shots prior to goats post-mortem returning
Negative for rabies
- one goat dies of old age
- llama dies of old age.

Sometimes it's just easier to suck it up and keep mowing.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 63
image-jpeg.47555

There are a lot of people walking, stumbling around Junuea that look like this and ask the same question.....

one thing leads to another:
- mowing getting to be almost a full time job,
- let's get some goats
- need fencing (old saying amongst goat owners "if your fences will hold water, they'll hold goats")
- get three Lamancha wethers,
- dog bites goat, goat gets iliac crest abscess, goat goes to UGa large animal hospital, twice
- begin hearing coyotes closer,
- get a guard llama, install ground level electric fence,
- llama gets the dwindles and stops eating, llama goes to UGA large animal hospital w diagnosis of "ADR",
starts eating again,
- meanwhile, goats are killing all the trees by stripping their bark,
- one goat drowns in pond,
- one goat dying of mysterious neurological illness, to UGA
- wife and I get rabies immune globulin and rabies vaccination shots prior to goats post-mortem returning
Negative for rabies
- one goat dies of old age
- llama dies of old age.

Sometimes it's just easier to suck it up and keep mowing.

Bwahahaha. Damn that was funny. Sorry I know it's not when it happens to you but you described similar stuff to one of my neighbors. He was ready to take a shotgun to the goats for a while. They're gone now. He sold / gave them away.

Back