I hate marine layers

More local pilots! I attended a WINGS seminar regarding VFR cross countries by a DragonFly CFI, he seemed like a nice guy. Plus they have Tecnams, so I will be checking them out once I am a pilot.

Kimberly

I trained at Dragonfly and they have Light sports, with Technam and now a Cessna skycatcher.
I agree with the previous post -- you are a pilot now !!

Be happy the marine layer keeps things cool in the summer and warm (relative to other parts of the country) in the winter. :)

I was in SF last week and wore a jacket every morning while reading about people baking elsewhere.

SF is my hometown. Born and raised 18 years. To school we would always wear tights and turtlenecks and jackets. Freezing!

Don't sweat the STS DPE he is good and fair. I had several 90 day extensions due to money and ... you will get the sign off. We appear to have the burn off at 11 for the next 3 days so plan to sleep in if you are flying this week end :wink2:
STS notes:
I am parked down by DragonFly in the Butler building if you are wandering around behind the Sonoma JetCenter (N79021) . By the way the Line staff there has a bunch of CFIs (ask for Andy or Garrett) so you have a good support group if you fly in here and they are willing to help get you a PPL

When did you take your STS DPE checkride?

SF is my hometown. Born and raised 18 years. To school we would always wear tights and turtlenecks and jackets. Freezing!
I lived there for awhile in the late 1970s but I still spend a lot of time there and will probably live there again one of these days. People complain about it being cold but it doesn't get nearly as cold as other parts of the country. The problem is that people don't anticipate temperatures like that in the summer.

I lived there for awhile in the late 1970s but I still spend a lot of time there and will probably live there again one of these days. People complain about it being cold but it doesn't get nearly as cold as other parts of the country. The problem is that people don't anticipate temperatures like that in the summer.

Yes, I heart SF and even living in Marin County now I miss the noodle houses, the Dim Sum, the different cultures, the live music everywhere, the friendly people, etc.

I'm joking! I love The City. I wouldn't want to live there, but I spend a fair amount of time there. I deplete the Wharf of more than my fair share of seafood.

I'm joking! I love The City. I wouldn't want to live there, but I spend a fair amount of time there. I deplete the Wharf of more than my fair share of seafood.
Really? I hate the city. I try not to go there....only been there twice this year. It's DIRTY, there's too much traffic, no parking, bums everywhere, the weather is terrible, and people are anything but nice. They are stressed out.

No, I like living in the country much, much more. I spend most of my time in North Marin and Sonoma, and it's so much better than SF. Then again, I guess some people like cities.

Really? I hate the city. I try not to go there....only been there twice this year. It's DIRTY, there's too much traffic, no parking, bums everywhere, the weather is terrible, and people are anything but nice. They are stressed out.

No, I like living in the country much, much more. I spend most of my time in North Marin and Sonoma, and it's so much better than SF. Then again, I guess some people like cities.

I mean as cities go. Generally, I agree with you. But I like to hit it up now and then anyway.

I mean as cities go. Generally, I agree with you. But I like to hit it up now and then anyway.
Oh I see. Yes, I agree with you on that then. SF certainly beats other cities like Richmond. Personally, if I'm looking for a fun evening, I go over to Rancho Nicasio! No problem parking in that town of ... what, like 100? :)

I like the city, except for the parking. Right now I spend time in both worlds and I'm pretty sure if I was going to choose one place it would be the city, well, SF anyway, not any city. I've done a lot of thinking about this recently.

I'm in Nor-Cal. So-Cal is full of posers.

Think of how nice those clouds will be to play in once you get your IFR rating. No VFR yo-yos, sky all yours, and bright and clear above while everyone else sucks under the overcast. I love taking people flying on a gray day and asking them to bring their sunglasses.

Also, you patchouli-dunked hippies can keep your Norcal with its granola-fed priuses, endless hobos, and yeti armpits holding protest signs aloft.

It was nice all weekend down here. :)

Bums are a lot better than 15 years ago when they had a tent city in Civic Center.

Actually Kimberly, it sounds like you had pretty good conditions for your flight. When you fly low, you have to be more careful with your routing to keep yourself in a landable condition as much as possible. Sometimes you have to go through the passes under a deck when you go south, especially going into So Cal. Often the best route is to take the highway to Santa Cruz and run the beach on down from there. If you call LA at Malibu southbound and Torrence northbound, it's been my experience that they will get you transitioned down low if that's what you need to maintain VFR. You're not really dealing with low cielings until they get below 1200' AGL, and that's not particularly low. It's all good though, you got it done, now take your ride.

You're not really dealing with low cielings until they get below 1200' AGL, and that's not particularly low. It's all good though, you got it done, now take your ride.
Keep in mind that Henning is a fairly experienced instrument rated pilot. A 1200 foot ceiling is not exactly high and can indeed be dangerous. Depending on the system a 1200 ft ceiling can become a 0 foot ceiling in a hurry.

I myself have never had a reason to run off on a cross country with 1200 ft ceilings. That's run into an antenna altitude. No thanks.

Last edited:
Half Moon Bay is cool. Visited during July a few years ago and had to wear a sweater.

All of California is like that really. Even in San Diego you need to wear sweatshirts at night in the summer, and if you're coastal, you'll wear them until 11:00am when the sun finally burns throuh. Up in the Bay Area, I wear winter clothes year round working on the water. The Pacific is a cold ocean on this side... The Atlantic however is nice and warm allowing for a nice comfortable breeze year round in S. Florida. Of everywhere I've been, you can't beat the climate in S.FL.

Yes, I heart SF and even living in Marin County now I miss the noodle houses, the Dim Sum, the different cultures, the live music everywhere, the friendly people, etc.
Hmmm... Leslie was born in Novato in Marin County. Not that she remembers much of it, as she moved out at less than 12 months!:)

I loved the marine layer when i was a private student. My CFI had no problem taking me into actual conditions. It made the transition to the instrument that much easier for me

I loved the marine layer when i was a private student. My CFI had no problem taking me into actual conditions. It made the transition to the instrument that much easier for me
Same here. We would occasionally take off IFR, go over the hills to practice then come back doing the ILS. I could more-or-less be coached through an ILS before I got my private.

I did love it one day when we flew above it close to sunset. It was very beautiful, just like a soft white blanket.

Actually Kimberly, it sounds like you had pretty good conditions for your flight. When you fly low, you have to be more careful with your routing to keep yourself in a landable condition as much as possible. Sometimes you have to go through the passes under a deck when you go south, especially going into So Cal. Often the best route is to take the highway to Santa Cruz and run the beach on down from there. If you call LA at Malibu southbound and Torrence northbound, it's been my experience that they will get you transitioned down low if that's what you need to maintain VFR. You're not really dealing with low cielings until they get below 1200' AGL, and that's not particularly low. It's all good though, you got it done, now take your ride.

Probably (read: definitely) the wrong advice to give a student pilot.

Probably (read: definitely) the wrong advice to give a student pilot.

Why? That's the way I was sent on my first solo cross country under a 1500' marine layer from Long Beach to Palomar."Just follow the beach and stay offshore Pendleton". Mountain passes... be ready to perform, but still doable, I used to go back and forth to Van Nuys, and I can stay under the Bravo VFR and go 1/3rd the distance as I would had I filed IFR, and I was doing it before I was instrument rated. Had to have 125hrs back then. I was doing it in a twin mostly though so the canyons aren't so intimidating, but for the most part, as long as you can see the ground, you'll be able to stick it somewhere survivable. Remember, a smooth steep up slope can be your friend, and there's a lot of that in California's coastal range. Lots of grazing in those hills.

Hmmm... Leslie was born in Novato in Marin County. Not that she remembers much of it, as she moved out at less than 12 months!:)
Novato isn't really Marin County. Yes, it's officially part of it, but Marin, culturally speaking, ends around San Rafael and maybe even before.

I love Marin. The natural beauty, the environment, the casual yet exclusive feel. Novato doesn't have that. Don't get me wrong; there's nothing wrong with that. I can only stand so much of Marin, so I spend a lot of time in Petaluma (which isn't culturally or officially in Marin) To be honest, I like Sonoma better anyways. It's more relaxing....

...anyways, sorry, I could go on. I realize that this isn't the "advantages and disadvantages of places to live" thread :) Though...I do hate the fact that there's no a Target store in Novato. Ugh. Luckily no Walmart.

Last edited:
I had an accidential exposure to the marine layer yesterday by taking a checkout out from Watsonville. The bottom was perhaps 500 to 700 ft, the top was below the pattern, which is 1200 ft. It was very dense over the Monterey bay, but getting ragged inland... I watched departures and saw people doing exactly the same thing that the Money did which crashed into a hospital a month ago: outclimbing the cloud bank. On the way back in, clouds started pressing more from the south and we could not use runway 20, so did a left pattern for 8. Very educational!

Back