I hate cancelling trips...

Cpt_Kirk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Ted Striker
but I just wasn't in the mood to freeze up like a popsicle in a non-FIKI airplane.

Can anyone in the area give a PIREP? I always second guess my decision to cancel but like the saying goes, "I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, rather than being in the air and wishing I was on the ground."

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 167
I hate cancelling my students lessons so I feel some of your pain. Yesterday was for winds above the demo. crosswind component. I don't play test pilot for any one. This afternoon looks like a possible canx due to the TAF winds. Grrr... Sunny and nice but too windy.

David

I'm pretty much in the middle of your route and it looks vfr the whole way.

I was supposed to fly to reno with a friend last night for a race that is going on today. A combination of Icing airmets, and possible IFR conditions caused me to cancel. I don't mind IFR flying, but our route had MEAs in the oxygen levels and I haven't gotten my tank yet. Didn't wanna get stuck in ice, in clouds, where I can't go higher and I can't go lower.

I was looking at flightaware a few minutes ago and watching the live traffic flying over where I live. I was amazed to see how many guys are flying through the icing layers in non-fiki aircraft with all the pireps and icing forecast. These guys are on IFR flight plans too. Did they even check the weather before leaving? I noticed 1 had to deviate in a 182 and had a pretty wild flight path before landing. It has been off and on light rain and sleet at my house all day so far.

How thin was the layer? Are they just quickly climbing through it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was supposed to fly to reno with a friend last night for a race that is going on today. A combination of Icing airmets, and possible IFR conditions caused me to cancel. I don't mind IFR flying, but our route had MEAs in the oxygen levels and I haven't gotten my tank yet. Didn't wanna get stuck in ice, in clouds, where I can't go higher and I can't go lower.

Had that experience two weeks ago freezing level at 10-11 with an airmet for icing and mountain obscuration and a mea of 10-11k (it was over the tehachapis). Just didn't see a safe way through (except going out over to Santa Barbara and up ... later pireps showed moderate icing so I was more pleased by my decision.

I flew through that light icing in Missouri today. Once I started accumulating it, just requested a descent, got out of the clouds and was fine.

I flew through that light icing in Missouri today. Once I started accumulating it, just requested a descent, got out of the clouds and was fine.

That is not the same situation as here northern WV/south western PA. You are assuming you could leave Missouri and the icing would be the same as here? For one that is not even the same weather front. Second, You wouldn't be able to get below the MVA to even descend out here. Freezing temps are starting around 1000 AGL and SLD is forecast starting at 3000' MSL.

That is not the same situation as here northern WV/south western PA. You are assuming you could leave Missouri and the icing would be the same as here? For one that is not even the same weather front. Second, You wouldn't be able to get below the MVA to even descend out here. Freezing temps are starting around 1000 AGL and SLD is forecast starting at 3000' MSL.

Wasn't assuming anything other than if I got out of the clouds that ice would stop accumulating.

I had the same thing happen on my way to SFO a couple weeks ago. Got a little lower and all was well. Unfortunately my route of flight this time would have put me into a mountain if I needed to descend so I stayed home and I'm now watching the race online instead of in person. I don't regret that choice.

Back