I had some kind of epiphany

Friday I bought a Giant Escape hybrid, the old heavy Fuji mountain bike couldn’t keep up with the better half on the Rail Trail with her Trek Hybrid. Yesterday we rode the Rail Trail for a test drive and new bike runs well. Only went out about six miles and decided to return on the highway to get a feel of how it runs on the road. Passing a house just off the road a loose Pit Bull comes running out and attacking me. I manage to kick it off with my right foot and it comes around to the left side still in attack mode, and I kick it off with my left foot. With the last kick the dog retreats and I escape uninjured. Poetic Justice – a couple hundred feet further down the road I see a police cruiser coming and I flag him down, explain the problem of a loose aggressive Pit Bull and ask him to visit the house. So within a couple of minutes of the attack these idiots have a police car with lights flashing in their drive.

I stopped by the PD later and ask the officer how did it go when he talked with the owners of the pit bull? He said, Ya, they know but the dog is old and can’t hurt anyone. Bulls..t! And last week one of their dogs was hit and killed on the highway.

I also had an Epiphany, WHY DO PEOPLE WITH LOW IQ’s HAVE PIT BULLS!!
It seems everyone who onws a Pit Bull has an IQ lower than the Dog’s IQ!

Holy Sh..t, where’s my beer!

A friend used to keep a CO2 bb pistol on his handlebars for exactly this situation. Dog gets close, discourage it with a single bb. Either that, or carry a stick you can swing at its head while pedaling with both feet.

A friend used to keep a CO2 bb pistol on his handlebars for exactly this situation. Dog gets close, discourage it with a single bb. Either that, or carry a stick you can swing at its head while pedaling with both feet.
Mace or a simple squirt bottle with ammonia!

Would not expect I could hit a dog in hot pursuit with a BB gun in the heat of the moment....the attack’s are commonly sudden and unexpected. I carry pepper spray clipped to my brake cable.

Would not expect I could hit a dog in hot pursuit with a BB gun in the heat of the moment.....

If he's close enough to kick, he's close enough for a bb. And your feet and shoes won't get messed up.

I have an expandable baton that I bought in an army surplus store strapped to the downtube on my mtb. Never had to use it, but have pulled it several times, just in case.

My daily commuter ride in the summer. CrMo frame, Shimano Nexus 8sp internal hub, strong wheels, 700x35C kevlars, quick release expandable pannier. She's about 27# without accessories, and takes pounding over city streets no sweat. Not fast, but I fear no road.

bike2.jpg

My daily commuter ride in the summer. CrMo frame, Shimano Nexus 8sp internal hub, strong wheels, 700x35C kevlars, quick release expandable pannier. She's about 27# without accessories, and takes pounding over city streets no sweat. Not fast, but I fear no road.

View attachment 63243
Very nice!
Is that some sort of locking system on downtube?

I rode around on my dad's 60's vintage Schwinn Varsity when I was in college. The thing was built like a tank and weighed about as much. I never had to worry about someone stealing it, because they wouldn't get very far very fast.

My saddest biking day was when I ran over my Motobecane 1972 era ten speed (5 rear, 2 in front). That was a steel bike and weighed about 24 pounds. I hit 56 mph down a hill in NH on that bike. Great bike.

My saddest biking day was when I ran over my Motobecane 1972 era ten speed (5 rear, 2 in front). That was a steel bike and weighed about 24 pounds. I hit 56 mph down a hill in NH on that bike. Great bike.

As a pre-teen and teen I rode the living tar out of a Panasonic Sport Deluxe, rode it everywhere. It somehow got lost in one of my parents moves, I wish I had it today. :-(

Get yourself a classic steel bike with downtube shifters.

Been there, done that. The classic steel downtube shifter roadies I've owned:

1. Youth sized Gitane 10 speed. I think it ran 650 wheels. With the exception of the crap Simplex group set, it was a finely made bike. When I was a kid I used pops' metal lathe to machine a couple replacement pulley wheels out of steel. They actually worked. I still have the little tool kit that came with it.

2. Huffy 10 speed. How nearly every single piece of this bike could be made from stamped metal and rivets is a testament to production engineering. Even the frame was made from playground equipment quality steel tubing joined by bent ends and spot welds. The quality was so horrid that it was almost beautiful. In a Frankenstein sense. Yet, I peddled it for four years through high school in the Caribbean, and it held out to the end when it succumbed to rust and mostly came from together at once. Yes it saw salt water.

3. Schwinn Varsity, '60's model. Hand me down from pops. Rode it in college. It's ride was like a Cadillac, and it weighed as much as one.

4. Schwinn Traveler, '80's model. Got it before the Varsity, but, again, the Traveler was a magnet for theft like it was a Honda Civic. The Varsity was a magnet for theft like it was a T34 tank. I wish I saved the frame. I could climb grades that I can't touch with the Tarmac.

Been there, done that. The classic steel downtube shifter roadies I've owned:

1. Youth sized Gitane 10 speed. I think it ran 650 wheels. With the exception of the crap Simplex group set, it was a finely made bike. When I was a kid I used pops' metal lathe to machine a couple replacement pulley wheels out of steel. They actually worked. I still have the little tool kit that came with it.

2. Huffy 10 speed. How nearly every single piece of this bike could be made from stamped metal and rivets is a testament to production engineering. Even the frame was made from playground equipment quality steel tubing joined by bent ends and spot welds. The quality was so horrid that it was almost beautiful. In a Frankenstein sense. Yet, I peddled it for four years through high school in the Caribbean, and it held out to the end when it succumbed to rust and mostly came from together at once. Yes it saw salt water.

3. Schwinn Varsity, '60's model. Hand me down from pops. Rode it in college. It's ride was like a Cadillac, and it weighed as much as one.

4. Schwinn Traveler, '80's model. Got it before the Varsity, but, again, the Traveler was a magnet for theft like it was a Honda Civic. The Varsity was a magnet for theft like it was a T34 tank. I wish I saved the frame. I could climb grades that I can't touch with the Tarmac.

Umm, I was thinking maybe a Colnago or Merckx.

You listed the girlfriend and wife, but where does the mistress go? Asking for a friend..

I'd rather use what's behind the bike to get to and from the airport!

It's just a truck, the other day I picked up a two scoops of much in the truck and a third in the trailer. With the overdrive I can get up to 55 mph about half what the airplane does. Funny thing is that both the truck and plane use pure gas and they both get about 13 mpg; the bike get a little better but can only do about 20 mph.

Back