I had a STROKE?????

U

Unregistered

I need to know what to do, do I report this now, at my next medical, or never? Story follows.

About two weeks ago I woke up in the middle of the night with a numbness in my left leg, the same feeling when you've slept on something wrong. Feeling turns into "pins and needles", then starts to travel up the left side of my body. The "tingling" went into my abdomen and radiated into my left arm. Left arm went completely limp - I was unable to will any movement at all. The "tingling" continued to travel into my neck and face. I lost the ability to move the muscles in my face. I could smile normally on the right side of my face, but the left side was unresponsive. All of this transpired in about 10 minutes, feelings/symptoms lasted for 20 more. I woke my wife, who is a nurse, and we decided to call the doc. They suggested a trip to the emergency room. After this call I had onset of a intense headache that felt as though it was located directly behind my right eye. I became sensitive to light and started to vomit.

Upon reaching the ER I was still in this condition. BP was 140/93 and temp was 101. I was given an anti-nausea med and taken for a cat-scan. They found I had a sinus infection in my sphenoid sinus. I was given antibiotics and sent home.

I had another headache that evening and with a call to the doc was prescribed Immitrex and a stronger antibiotic - Augmentin?

Two days later Doc calls back and says that she has seen a spot on the cat-scan that she wants to look at closer and we schedule an MRI. After the MRI she thinks that at some time in the past I've had a small stroke, the inclusion was approximately 5 mm. I'm scheduled to see a neurologist next week.

I'm a male in my late 20's, BP is usually normal 120's/80's, I'm overweight, but exercise regularly.

My next visit to the AME would be in August. I only require a 3rd class cert.

Help.

Unregistered said:
I need to know what to do, do I report this now, at my next medical, or never? Story follows.

About two weeks ago I woke up in the middle of the night with a numbness in my left leg, the same feeling when you've slept on something wrong. Feeling turns into "pins and needles", then starts to travel up the left side of my body. The "tingling" went into my abdomen and radiated into my left arm. Left arm went completely limp - I was unable to will any movement at all. The "tingling" continued to travel into my neck and face.... They suggested a trip to the emergency room. After this call I had onset of a intense headache that felt as though it was located directly behind my right eye. I became sensitive to light and started to vomit.

I'm a male in my late 20's, BP is usually normal 120's/80's, I'm overweight, but exercise regularly.

My next visit to the AME would be in August. I only require a 3rd class cert.

Help.
You're self grounded for now.
Let the etiology (cause) get sorted out by your docs. There are some "hemiplegic migraines" that can constrict a blood vessel so badly as to give you 24 hours of hemiplegia that reverses. These scare the bejeesus out of us docs.

But if there is an inclusion, a residual deficit- now the hunt for a source of things flying downstream begins. Mid 20s is a tad early for this unless you have one of a few metabolic syndromes (like "homocystinuria").

Whether or not you can regain your medical depends on finding the cause.

Greetings, not sure when you had your incident, I wish I'd been as lucky. I was an international pilot for the national airline in South Africa. I'd just returned from a London trip, infact had only just completed my flight medical, "successfully". Needles to say, I had a stroke and don't operate anymore, get yourself thoroughly checked out. The ramifications are not apparent to laymen, strokes suck. If there is anything you can do to prevent one from happening, do it immediatly.

Just "surfing" here so might not get back to your sight again. Good luck.

Wow, that's a pretty scary story, especially at your age. Please let us know how it turns out.

'Bout $10,000 worth of test later(EEG, EKG, stress test, echocardiogram, three MRI's, MRA, and a whole bunch of blood work) I was given an SI - they found nothing except that I got an attaboy for a good resting heart rate, normal cholesterol, and normal BP. Had to see a neurologist again in '06 and '07 to regain the SI, but was given the green light this year to go back to a regular 3rd after some careful negotiation with Oklahoma City.

Was out of flying for a total of six months. Insurance didn't cover much of the testing.

Hombre de Huevo

'Bout $10,000 worth of test later(EEG, EKG, stress test, echocardiogram, three MRI's, MRA, and a whole bunch of blood work) I was given an SI - they found nothing except that I got an attaboy for a good resting heart rate, normal cholesterol, and normal BP. Had to see a neurologist again in '06 and '07 to regain the SI, but was given the green light this year to go back to a regular 3rd after some careful negotiation with Oklahoma City.

Was out of flying for a total of six months. Insurance didn't cover much of the testing.

Hombre de Huevo
Awesome. I'm glad you're flying again. But, I'm more glad you're healthy and gonna be around to enjoy this fine passion for many decades to come.

Hombre de Huevo

And way to stay undercover!!!;)

Good news, brother. Stay well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back