I had a lesson today...Yippeee!!!!! (long but worth reading)

HPNFlyGirl

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iBrookieMonster
Ok so today I had lesson. The instructor calls me up and tells me I could come in early if I want to, but I didn't get the message because I was still sound asleep in my comfy bed.

I get to the airport, and I see my plane taxiing to the hangar area. Ok this is good, give me time to eat my chicken sandwich (I only ate 1/2) and go for a bathroom break. I come out of the bathroom w my hands soaking wet, (no paper towels) and met my instructor, Brant. Quickly I wipe my hands on my pants and shook his hand. Ok Brook, go out and preflight I will be out there soon.

I go out and preflight the plane. When he comes out there he ask if we have enough fuel & I'm like NO WAY!!!!! We need more fuel because the fuel gauges read empty. Well ya don't want to trust just the gauges, yeah I know, please put a little bit of fuel in so I feel comfortable, so we add fuel to the aircraft. Then he asks me about the venturi. I tell him, and he was excited to see that I knew what the venturi was and what instruments it controlled. He asked me about these things on the wings that were sticking up (kind of like a hockey skate blade) I told him I had never seen anything like that before but had noticed them during the preflight. Well they are stall guards, which help keep the stall on the inner part of the wing instead of the outer. Hop in the plane, go down the check list and start the engine. Brant is very impressed that I had the RPM's right at 1,000. :yes: Taxi to the runup area, I creep along saying YEAH YA WANNA GO SLOW FOR THE CHK RIDE BC AN EXAMINER CAN GET MAD AT YA FOR THAT!!!!! THIS IS A BRISK WALK!!!!! We had a plane on the taxiway so we backtaxiied down the runway.

We take off (soft field since were on turf) and hold heading & alt. perfectly, and take out the notch of flaps at the right time with out instr. having to tell me. Another kudos for me. :) We go up, so some slow flight, which I only lost less than 100 feet of alt but kept airspeed perfect. Brant again was impressed. We fly to Person County and do some touch and goes, and also a simulated engine failure. Made the runway every time touched down on the numbers, even during the simulated engine out.

We fly back to Lake Ridge. I get us close, but Brant has to kind of show me where it was at. Evidently my 11 o clock position and his were a little different. I finally see the airport. He wants me to radio and tell everyone we are "straight final for runway 14." I'm where I am supposed to be, 900 ft over this, 700 ft over that, come over the trees just fine & then "shoot shoot shoot shoot" I had a feeling I was going to hit really hard, but I landed just fine. We taxied back to the hangar, and life was good.

When we went inside Brant signed my log book and gave me both the pre solo written, and the solo x/c written as well. He said if I keep up my good work I should have my PPL very soon. :D

Sounds like an awesome lesson!

Sounds like this was one of the days that make it all worthwhile!!

Congratulations!

w00t!!! Sounds like great flight! The great days make the bad days worth having!

HPNFlyGirl said:
When we went inside Brant signed my log book and gave me both the pre solo written, and the solo x/c written as well. He said if I keep up my good work I should have my PPL very soon. :D

Sounds like a great day! Keep at it, you're on your way.

Good for you Brook, keep it up and you'll be a Certified Pilot soon. Congrats Dave:goofy::goofy::goofy::goofy::goofy:

Cool Brook, good story!

.Jul 5 1970 "The aircraft exploded after a botched landing attempt in which the First Officer inadvertantly deployed the spoilers 50 feet above the runway. The aircraft slammed onto the runway, hitting the #4 engine on the pavement. The Captain initiated a go around, which was successful, but the aircraft exploded on downwind. Probable cause was that a fuel line was severed on engine #4 when it hit the ground, and the fuel ignited while on downwind."

Back