I guess I'm a "real" pilot now?

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Some of you have correctly deduced from some recent threads and/or Facebook posts that I'm getting paid to fly now. I'm also doing some other things utilizing other skills, and I have a very family-friendly schedule, so the job is somewhat of a unicorn.

But... I figured I'd share a bit about the flying parts with you all.

FWIW, I've been flying for about 16 years and have about 2,000 hours of total time, most of which has been on my own dime and, prior to this, only high single digits/low double digits actually paid, despite having had my commercial ASMEL since 2008. I've always been doing other things and flying has always been my side hobby/passion/obsession.

But, this opportunity came along and I obviously couldn't say no... So, off I went to SimCom to learn how to fly the "big French Mooney", AKA the Daher/Socata TBM 850 and 900 series. For those unaware of its history, the TBM began life as the Mooney 301, Mooney got bought by some French folks who also owned Socata, they worked together and turned the 301 into a turboprop before Mooney was sold/bankrupt/dropped out of the deal. The Socata factory is in Tarbes, France, and "TBM" actually stands for TarBes Mooney. (Yeah, yeah, I know. "Enough already, get to the good stuff!")

I'm going to split this into a few posts here... Next up: Training!

The first step, flying-wise, was to go to SimCom in Orlando to learn how to fly a smelly-fuel pressurized speedster. It was an excellent experience. My instructor was very knowledgeable, took the time to thoroughly explain the answers to my questions, and I felt like he wanted me to succeed. I also had an excellent partner for the training who had just purchased his own TBM. SimCom has courses (and simulators) for many of the higher-performance types that some of you might fly - Barons, Twin Cessnas, Meridians, etc and I definitely recommend using them if they have a course for your airplane. Lots of things that you can do in the sim that can't be done safely in the airplane.

The initial course was a week long, with each day consisting of 4 hours of classroom time, 2 hours observing in the sim and two hours flying the sim. The classroom time included lots of systems knowledge, and reviews of accidents and incidents that might kill you, injure you, or cost you a LOT of money in a hurry.

My favorite part was learning about the PT-6. I've not paid a lot of attention to turbines before since they were always out of reach, and I didn't really understand a lot about the starting procedures and why they are how they are, etc. so that was really fun to learn.

A turbine engine is essentially a barely-controlled in-flight fire. :rofl: Temperature is important - That fire is hot enough that it can quickly cook the engine, melt parts, and lots of other Bad Stuff. And to keep the temperatures tolerable, you need airflow and lots of it.

So, the first step when starting is to get that airflow going. The starter spins the compressor section up to about 13% Ng (Ng is the speed of the gas generator/compressor section, 13% is about 4875 RPM) with no fuel so that the airflow that's present can keep the fire from touching any of those expensive parts. Airflow in the burner can keeps the fire in the middle of the can, so the airflow has to start first. Oil pressure should also rise here to lubricate things which are already moving pretty fast.

Once you hit that 13% or so Ng, you move the condition lever (looks and works kinda like the mixture but only has three positions that are used) from Idle Cut-Off to Low Idle, which introduces fuel and starts the fire - At least on the 850; on the 900 you move the single power lever from "4th gear" slightly forward. This is where Expensive Stuff can happen very quickly: The Inter-Turbine Temperature (ITT), basically the temp between the two halves of the engine, will climb rapidly at first, but as the engine's speed also increases when you light the fire, the airflow will increase and ITT should peak within limits and come back down. If it gets into the 800ºC range and is still moving upwards quickly (a hot start), you need to immediately stop the fuel flow and extinguish the fire to avoid cooking the engine.

However, if all is going well, the engine will reach 30% Ng (about 11,250 RPM in the compressor) in less than 30 seconds. Only half (14) of the fuel injectors have been operating to this point, and between 30 and 40% Ng, the second half will light up (or at least they'd better, otherwise you have a hung start, power won't increase, ITT will rise and you have to kill it). Once the secondaries light off, power comes up more quickly. At 52% Ng (about 19,500 RPM) the starter cuts off (in the 900, you have to manually switch it off in the 850), you'll see the speed stabilize, and you move the condition lever to high idle in the 850 or the single power lever to "left of neutral between 1st and 2nd gear" in the 900. (Can you tell I drove stick shift for many years?)

At that point, you should see Ng come up to 69% or so and you have a good start. Phew! Lots of stuff happens fast, and it happens too fast to talk through it with an instructor, so it was good that they always had us go through the full procedure to power up the aircraft and the engine during every sim session, as well as the full shutdown afterwards.

I managed to do some dumb stuff in the sim that was still fun... Like accidentally take off at 40% power. You normally push the throttle to 40% torque, check the gauges, and then push it up to 90% for takeoff (Ram air will take it up to about 98% as you accelerate down the runway). Early on when I was still a bit overwhelmed with a lot of new stuff happening quickly, I forgot to give it the second push. Turbines have a lot of power, so it just motored on down the runway and still took off quickly enough that I didn't notice until just after I pulled the gear handle up.

Over the course of the week, I did 3 sim sessions in the 850 sim, and two more in the 930 sim to get used to the single power lever configuration of the 900. The 930 sim was my first exposure to the G3000, which is really nice - If the G1000 is a GNS 430, the G3000 is a GTN 750, and that's how each of them work too. My familiarity with the GTN 750 in my Mooney made the G3000 a piece of cake. The 3000 also allows you to split every screen, so each of the PFDs can have both a PFD and an MFD display simultaneously, and the middle MFD screen can have two different pages displaying as well. That would be really nice sometimes, for displaying NEXRAD next to on-board weather radar, for example.

In the various sim sessions, all kinds of things were thrown at us. Basically, every type of bad engine start (wet, hot, hung, fuel and/or oil pressure problems, etc), in-flight engine failures from immediately after takeoff all the way up to the mid-teens, fuel control unit failures, and quite a variety of emergency situations. Generally, the things that were thrown at us in a particular sim session usually involved the systems we had learned about in the previous classroom session, and we progressed to more complicated failures later in the week.

Finally, after successfully completing the training at SimCom, it was time to head home and start flying!

My first two days of flying were with the chief pilot, who I like a lot. He's quite young - I've been flying since he was in third grade - and while he became the chief pilot here through some excellent luck as well as being prepared, he's very good at what he does, has grown and learned as the flight department expanded, works hard, and is really fun to work with. I should note that I've been very impressed with all the people I'm working with, and it comes right from the top. The CEO is also a pilot, is very smart and hard-working, and says "happy employees make happy customers." What a breath of fresh air! It's great to go to work every day with people who are happy to be there and are all working together to move the company forward. The safety culture here is also excellent. I've been impressed with the operation all the way around, which is part of why I'm here.

Flying-wise, the TBM is actually not too different from my Mooney. It certainly shows its Mooney heritage! It's bigger and handles that way, but it's an honest airplane. It gets off the runway in a couple thousand feet, climbs about 1800 fpm down low and >1000 fpm into the low 20s. We tend to cruise at FL270 or FL280 most of the time, and that last few thousand feet we're limited by engine temps and climb a bit under 1000 fpm. The 900 usually cruises somewhere north of 300 KTAS, the 850 will be in the neighborhood of 300.

I somehow managed to have my first landing in the airplane be a squeaker. Figured it was a fluke, but then I had another, and another, and another. The first one I was dissatisfied with, I was flying with the CEO in the right seat. Doh! :rofl: At least I had a good one with him too. But as with any airplane, a good approach, on speed, makes a good landing. Flying the Mooney has definitely helped here as well. The sight picture is different since you're sitting several feet higher up, but the fundamentals are the same. Flying the Mooney last weekend, I still had a good landing in it too, despite the different sight picture, so hopefully I'll be able to fly both of them well going forward.

Now, for those of you who yearn for something pressurized: Don't. Seriously. The flight levels are kinda boring. They're great for getting paying passengers places quickly, but you can't see much of anything on the ground, and there's a higher likelihood of there being clouds between you and the ground anyway. This has really made me appreciate the Mooney more. I kinda wanted a 340 there for a while, but now? Nope. The Mooney is perfect. It gets me places reasonably fast, I can go direct nearly wherever, I don't have to fly SIDs and STARs to stay out of the way of airliners going into major hubs (most of the time anyway), I can see the ground, and it's cheap enough to operate that I don't need to buy a second plane to just go slow and have fun. IMO, if you're flying for the sake of enjoyment as well as travel, forget any of the whiny planes (whether they only whine, or they rumble and whine). Normally aspirated piston airplanes are the way to go when you're paying to fly yourself, where the journey is part of the reward.

In two weeks of flying (6 flying days), I've been to 8 states, put about 27 hours in my logbook, flown with four other pilots, and had a great time overall. The early mornings (4:45 wakeup to get to the airport in time to prepare for our usual 7 AM flights) are the hard part for me, since I've always been a night owl <glances at clock, sighs>. Speaking of which, I hope you enjoyed reading this so far, but I've gotta bail out and hit the hay.

Sounds like a great gig with some great people! Congrats.

BUT: :needpics:

Nah, you were already a real pilot. Real piloting starts when you get your instrument rating. VFR only pilots are doing advanced learning.
I’d argue it’s the other way round. Instrument flying is like flying a simulator.

Some of you have correctly deduced from some recent threads and/or Facebook posts that I'm getting paid to fly now. I'm also doing some other things utilizing other skills, and I have a very family-friendly schedule, so the job is somewhat of a unicorn.

But... I figured I'd share a bit about the flying parts with you all.

Excellent! Nothing wrong with finding that "unicorn"!! Good story on the training, so how does this all end and what the final outcome?

Congrats and thanks for the great writeup. I'm especially interested in the experience of differences and similarities of the Mooney and TBM (for ahem...work reasons). Sounds like you are having a blast and hope you get used to the early hours. I too and a nightowl but have to be at work by 6:30 and live about 40 minutes away. Weekend sleep shift shuffle to enjoy the night sky on Saturday and Monday's usually aren't fun to wake up to.

Sounds like a great gig with some great people! Congrats.

BUT: :needpics:

Whoops... Sorry. :D Here ya go:

This is the panel on the 900. 3-screen G1000 with the big MFD, GFC 700 autopilot (with controller above), and full keypad below. The 850 has the same setup but the environmental controls are a bit different.
58351688494__8C0E0F4D-B9CF-4310-BEA1-C3059D9A564B.JPG

This one is the 850 - The 900 has a wicked cool looking 5-blade prop. I don't have a pic of that yet.
IMG_4693.jpg

A big boomer we flew around - Lots of that happening this time of year:
IMG_4755.jpg

Nicer weather from the flight level viewpoint:
IMG_4702.jpg

Nah, you were already a real pilot. Real piloting starts when you get your instrument rating. VFR only pilots are doing advanced learning.

My subject line was mostly poking fun at the general public's (lack of) understanding of aviation. I've been commercially rated for 11 years but if I get in a conversation with a random person they ask what airline I fly for nearly every time.

But, there is no such thing as a "real pilot." If you've soloed, you're a pilot. Period. You have taken an aircraft into the air and brought it safely back to earth completely on your own. After that, you are a pilot. The possibilities in aviation are vast, and there are pilots who are not even instrument rated who are way better pilots than you or I. (I dare you to go tell Sean Tucker he's not a real pilot...)

Instrument and visual flying are both "real" flying, just with skill sets that are almost completely different.

Excellent! Nothing wrong with finding that "unicorn"!! Good story on the training, so how does this all end and what the final outcome?

Well, the preferred final outcome is that in 20 years, I retire comfortably after having been here for 20 years. ;)

family-friendly schedule? fake news. :D

:rofl:

Well, I did fly on Saturday... But that's at least partially because I'm off Wednesday-Friday to go to a family reunion (in the Mooney, of course). I've been home every night. That's about as family friendly as aviation gets!

I'm especially interested in the experience of differences and similarities of the Mooney and TBM (for ahem...work reasons).

Well, let's see. They're both very intolerant of extra speed on landing, because they'll be in a nose down attitude if you're too fast, which means you'll hit nose first. There have been a lot of prop strikes in TBMs, I guess... They both nose down when you add flaps. They're both at the top of their class in terms of speed and efficiency. Flap settings and shape are similar.

Plenty of differences, too. Obviously, size, pressurization, and powerplant. Oh, and which way the tail faces. ;) Spoilers on the TBM to assist the ailerons. Speed brakes on the Mooney since the prop isn't nearly as effective a brake on the Mooney as it is on the TBM. Pneumatic de-ice on the TBM, none on my Mooney but TKS on the Mooneys that have it.

What else do you want to know?

Last edited:
Welp, guess I'll never be a "real" pilot. :(

You are a real pilot. You fly a plane where the wing is in the correct position on the fuselage. ;)

Great write-up!

How did the job come across your path? Were you actively looking? Or friend/friend of a friend type of thing?

Where I can apply.... :D

Well, there should be some significant growth in another couple of years, so I'll probably be back here recruiting. :)

How did the job come across your path? Were you actively looking? Or friend/friend of a friend type of thing?

Friends of friends who became friends. That's always where the good jobs come from, right?

Back