I guess Beech doesn't want me as a customer.

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
I'm in Wichita for a couple days (water ski tournament) and thought it might be interesting to visit the Beechcraft factory. So I called them up this morning to see about coming by in the afternoon. After getting shuttled around to different people for five minutes I was basically told that unless I'm buying a new plane they have no time for me. And although I'm not currently in the market for a nice new Baron or King Air, that kind of response doesn't make me yearn to run out and by a new Beechcraft either.

That does seem like a pretty poor marketing move. Lance, what kind of advertisement would a half-hour or hour of their time gotten from you in all the folks you have contact with? Not to mention the folks on here and other boards you participate in?

I guess it never occurred to their marketing people how beneficial word-of-mouth advertising can be. Nor, how much more so a negative experience gets spread around.

That does seem like a pretty poor marketing move. Lance, what kind of advertisement would a half-hour or hour of their time gotten from you in all the folks you have contact with? Not to mention the folks on here and other boards you participate in?

I guess it never occurred to their marketing people how beneficial word-of-mouth advertising can be. Nor, how much more so a negative experience gets spread around.

There were some pretty bad Pireps coming from OSH about them as well. Olivia would not have been pleased.

Wow, very different from what I have heard was their policy in the (fairly recent) past- that factory tours for visitors were the norm, and were welcomed.

Unfortunate, especially if it is policy as opposed to a "bad day."

Obscenely-priced replacement parts are a cash cow for Beech. You don't have to be in the market for a new airplane to be a potential source of profit for the company.

Had I been given the bum's rush by a company representative before I bought my half-century-old Beech product, I might have given a second thought to putting myself in the position of having to deal with them at any level.

Well, even if used, I'll scratch a Bo off the list of possible replacements for the Cherokee.

Very sorry to hear this. Did you post it on the Beech list?

I know they're planning on doing a tour at the ABS convention this fall.

Best,

Dave

I did a blog post that mentioned Mooney a while back, speculating about the then about-to-be-announced new Aclaim.

I got a nice email from someone in their sales department asking me very nicely to correct my reference to their corporate name to the correct "Mooney Airplane Company" rather than the older form I had used.

They invited to call ahead to schedule a factory tour the next time I was in Kerrville.

That's good marketing.

I did a blog post that mentioned Mooney a while back, speculating about the then about-to-be-announced new Aclaim.

I got a nice email from someone in their sales department asking me very nicely to correct my reference to their corporate name to the correct "Mooney Airplane Company" rather than the older form I had used.

They invited to call ahead to schedule a factory tour the next time I was in Kerrville.

That's good marketing.
That's the kind of communication that indicates a much higher chance or receiving post-purchase support as well as assistance when just looking. Most sales people give you all the attention in the world... right up until the contract is signed. Then, it's off to the next sucker.

I'm a lot more impressed when they give me substantial attention when I'm not even a prospective buyer. I don't know about others but that's the kind of thing I remember when I am ready to buy.

I'm not surprised. When I got my Beechjet type there years ago, they acted like we couldn't see anything when we actually got a tour. One guy in my class was the CP for a company and their NEW Beechjet was the second one to be finished while we were there and they barely let him see it.

John

I happen to really love flying Beechcraft, and I even own an old one, one of the first Barons made. And I flew into Wichita with the owner of a still-almost-new A36 once...he was a dealer for Beech, one of many sidelines, in another country. They rolled out the red carpet for him [prearranged meeting, which is why we went there]. They completely ignored me, the pilot who was flying the planes he had for personal use. Not that the pilot, just an employee, is usually treated like a king or anything, but they said something like, "Long flight for you [my employer], thanks for coming, let's get a light lunch then we'll get to work." One person said, you [me, the pilot] can go sit out front, meaning the lobby. An experienced guy, me, I'd brought a lunch in my flight bag so went out to the Bonanza and got it as they all left and there I was, no food around. It wasn't a huge deal, just sort of weird. We'd been all standing there, together, maybe a half dozen of us, and they all shook hands with the boss and actually moved between him and me and moved me back toward the door. Later, the "boss" came out and said he was embarrassed at how they were treating me but that he'd be done in a little while, etc., we could try to borrow a car and get me to a restaurant somewhere. I said I was ok, don't bother. I am a very laid back sort of person and don't get rattled by such things, and I might have an odd sense of humor, but I got to laughing about it. Really stupid. Flying back, lots of time to kill, he said, "Well, the deal went great, but I still can't fathom that they wouldn't even shake hands with you...." Like I said, no big deal, just stupid.

Last edited:
When I was shopping for my Mustang, somewhere along the way I filled out a web form for Ford and nearby dealers contacted me. The closest one to my house among them. I told them in no uncertain terms I wouldn't buy from that dealer if they told me I could have the car for $250.00.

Why? 7 years before I was looking for a pickup truck for my business. I visited that dealership with my guy.

Him: "Can we look at the truck?"
"Salesman:" "You gonna buy one?"
"Not today."
"Then you can't!"

We walked out. I bought a Chevy truck.

The next nearest dealer got the sale for my Mustang.

Personell in the Department of Customer Prevention are usually very effective and should be graded well until they acheive the ultimate goal of clearing the company of all of its pesky customers and the company closes.

Last edited:
When I was shopping for my Mustang, somewhere along the way I filled out a web form for Ford and nearby dealers contacted me. The closest one to my house among them. I told them in no uncertain terms I wouldn't buy from that dealer if they told me I could have the car for $250.00.

Why? 7 years before I was looking for a pickup truck for my business. I visited that dealership with my guy.

Him: "Can we look at the truck?"
"Salesman:" "You gonna buy one?"
"Not today."
"Then you can't!"

We walked out. I bought a Chevy truck.

The next nearest dealer got the sale for my Mustang.

Personell in the Department of Customer Prevention are usually very effective and should be graded well until they acheive the ultimate goal of clearing the company of all of its pesky customers and the company closes.

Same reason why I won't buy from Schaumburg Jeep. There they wanted to sell me a car with 2500 miles on it as 'new' and only 100 under sticker. I went to another dealer got the same car for 100 over invoice and it had 18 miles on it. I drove back to Schaumburg Jeep and told the manager that they lost the sale and future sales from me and then walked out aq second time.

As for airplanes, when I was looking to buy I looked at a few new ones. Diamond, Cessna and Cirrus were all interested in selling to me but only Cirrus offered test flights. But they were well outside my budget.

Last edited by a moderator:
a Volvo dealer in the DC area lost a sale to my ex-wife and me.... as we came in, the salesman was leering and had his eyes on my ex's chest the entire time. We left in less than 5 minutes, never went back (but did buy a Volvo from another DC area dealer).

a Volvo dealer in the DC area lost a sale to my ex-wife and me.... as we came in, the salesman was leering and had his eyes on my ex's chest the entire time. We left in less than 5 minutes, never went back (but did buy a Volvo from another DC area dealer).

How about when my then wife and I went shopping for a new car. We walked into the local Toyota dealership and said, "I'd like to see how I fit in a ..." a very funny sales guy nearby screams, "WITH A SHOEHORN!"..."Sorry." We did an immediate tight 180 and left.

There must be something about me that says my money can't buy a car. That might be one reason why the Mustang may be the last new car I ever buy.

I recall when CJane and I went to a Mercedes dealer in Anaheim, had it in mind to buy a 190 (the little one); when a salesman finally deigned to shamble out and say "Hello," we told him we'd like to drive a 190. He turns and starts strolling back into the showroom, and we asked him if he had to go there to get keys (all the cars on the lot had keyboxes). He tells us, "No, we need to get some credit information on you guys first."

We told him, "we want to drive a car before we make a buying decision," and he explained that it was their policy not to have test drives with anyone from whom they had not yet gotten credit information.

I had to trot to keep up with Celia as she jogged for the exit.

Now, we were young, but not pitiful in appearance, and we had driven up in a late-model Audi. For that car, we were the perfect demographic.

The next week, we went to another Benz dealer, and told the guy who greeted us (note, greeted us) that we wanted to test-drive a 190. He said, "Sure, be right back," and showed up in a moment in a 300, told us he thought we might like it even better. And he was right.

We would have bought one from him, too, if, that same week, my law school acceptance letter had not arrived, and our financial priorities all changed all around. Instead we bought a crisp, new Jeep Cherokee, which served us well for a couple hundred thousand miles.

That car hunt was also an adventure, with most dealers' salesmen saying, with straight face, that two grand off a price which included a three thousand dollar "Additional Dealer Markup" supplemental tag, constituted a "discount."

The only way we ended up buying was when I declined to "...come on out and have a look..." on the phone because that was the same line every other dealer had given me before, the guy asked if I had a fax (pre-E-mail), and faxed me a long several stickers with the bottom-line "what I'll sell 'em for" price written on each. We came, we saw, he honored the deal to the letter, and a modest level of mutual respect served well.

Customer service is everything. And, it doesn't just apply to buying planes, cars or any other particular item. It also applies to services sought to be rendered. Of course, lawyers aren't immune from that as well. Oddly, there's a large number of people who walk into a lawyer's office without a clue what kind of experience and ability a particular lawyer may have. The same often goes for doctors and dentists. Far too often, people walk into a dealership, law office, medical office or dental office without the benefit of some prior information. Unless... they had a bad experience that drove them to begin seeking out such information.

My first sinus surgery involved creating two holes that would eventually help me breathe easier. It seems God graced me with less than normal-sized sinus cavities. As it turned out, the holes were too small and in less than two years there was no evidence they had ever existed outside a tidbit of scar tissue.

My problems were getting worse. The dry climate in Colorado didn't help. Two years later, I start calling around to various ENT offices. Mostly, I'm just seeking to talk with nurses and staff to look for references, etc on different doctors. I also wanted someone to review the previous records on what was done. Finally, I call Roy Jone's office in south Denver. I'm on hold for about five minutes or so while a nurse is coming to the phone. Suddenly, a man answers. We began to talk for about 20-25 minutes. He couldn't tell me much beyond feedback on what I described and based on what I'd read from record pages. He said there were any number of ENTs around the city he'd be content with. If I wanted to see him, set an appointment and he'd look me over. But, not once did he cut me short or try to sell himself as the ideal person who could fix me and make things right. I was blown away just by having a medical doctor's attention for that long on the phone... for free.

I made an appointment which led to allergy tests, hearing test and more just to narrow down and be certain of my problems and their effects. My appointments with him were just as lengthy as I needed his attention. He didn't run from office to office to keep up with patients; you had him for the duration of your visit. Nor, did he throw in a ton of charges for this and that like I'd seen with other doctors (One called a particular office visit "office surgery", got it slide past insurance and I was stuck with 20% of a $650 bill). I'd have to say Doc Jones was the last of the old timers in medical practice. He may still be in practice. Either way, there will be darn few like him to follow.

I could have sworn they said to drop on by during the Beechcraft party at OSH. I might be thinking of some other vendor. Sucks they couldnt make it work for you.

Back