I got a new....

I LOVE my cast iron skillet. It’s fantastic when I want to put a crust on steak, or cook bacon, or even eggs. You just have to season the pan and it’ll be good to use. Just use a teaspoon of oil and coat the cooking surface with a paper towel, then stick in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour. Then let it cool. The pan will be seasoned at that point. Clean by wiping it down with a damp cloth. If there’s stuck food, you can use kosher salt and scrub the pan, or soap and water (though you may need to re-season the pan again with oil and heat. I just put on the stovetop and heat the pan up to 350 degrees again and let it cool on its own.)

Every time I get my skillet perfectly seasoned, someone washes it. Otherwise, water and a green scrubbing pad, as needed and it is back on the stove in a matter of minutes.

cast iron skillet. I have no clue why, other than a new cast iron store opened up near me and 'cast iron' sounds effing badass so I wanted one. but now it seems like it's actual work to use/maintain the thing. season it.....dry it or it'll rust after each use....sup with that? also, I don't really cook so I'm not sure why I got this thing at all. I'm thinking of taking it to the range to shoot at it for fun. PTING! PTING!

Don't wash it. Just wipe it down after cooking. That's the way to really season it. After a year or so you can wash it every now and then. If that's to yukky for you, then watch out for ricochets

My wife is a cookware snob. She's got cast iron, All-Clad the whole bit. Me? If I can't stick it in the microwave, I've got no use for it.

Back