I gave it a second chance

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I had left AOPA webboards a few months before they closed down, and gladly came over here. Recently I gave them a second chance, but I think I'll stay here.

wangmyers said:
I had left AOPA webboards a few months before they closed down, and gladly came over here. Recently I gave them a second chance, but I think I'll stay here.
The two boards are for different things, Ben. This one is a bunch of serious part-time aviatiors and a few professionals. The red board is...well, like going to McDonald's.

Grin :)

Astute observations from two people whose powers of observation are keen.

One might think that, because the population of the Red Board (I like the sound of that) is broader, the scope of useful information would be greater. But, in my view, one would be mistaken.

Unfortunately, the signal to noise ratio renders any benefit of volume, moot.

wangmyers said:

Don't let a few creeps get you down, just ignore them. I wonder exactly what he (anon) meant though.

At any rate, We are all glad you are here. I appreciate your stories.

Yeah, I pretty much feel the same way...

What a great day for flying today -- the wife and I fl;ew out to Cape May for jollies!

SCCutler said:
One might think that, because the population of the Red Board (I like the sound of that) is broader, .

Red Board, Blue board hmmm... is that like a red state, blue state? :D

wsuffa said:
Red Board, Blue board hmmm... is that like a red state, blue state? :D

Much like it. Real conservatives certainly aren't welcome here. A big difference is that the leadership and membership of the AOPA board doesn't come here and spam theirs.

wangmyers said:
Ben, click on [User CP]. Note at the bottom on left side of the screen there is a Buddy list and an Ignore list. Both work. On that screen you have to supply the user name.

It's the same on the other board.

Last edited:
Joe Williams said:
Much like it. Real conservatives certainly aren't welcome here. A big difference is that the leadership and membership of the AOPA board doesn't come here and spam theirs.

I would condsider myself conservative and have felt very welcomed here.
Is that a jab at POA Joe?

I guess that I would agree that although the volume is lower here, the quality is quite high. You guys all know that I can easily take criticism. I don't like anonymous jabs, though; don't like criticism without some reasoning behind it; and most of all don't like someone who knows nothing about me (I guess) insinuating that I'm going to kill myself.

There may be lower traffic here, but "everybody knows your name."

And Joe, I think the political discussions are far more civilized here. At least I see more reasoning and consideration.

It was a great day for flying! I wish I could have gone, but I had yard work to do. Bleh. . . . I'm going on Thursday, though.

It was an OK day for flying here. A little hazy. A few isolated t-storms. A little bumpy down low. But my son and I got to the Tailwinds Cafe in Ocala before it closed, so that's something.

Joe Williams said:
That's funny because I've seen some liberals say the same thing about POA. Guess no one can complain we aren't equal opportunity!

As far as activity from AOPA's leadership on this board goes, Robert was a regular here and still visits on occasion. He's always welcome. Any AOPA user (or anyone, really) is more than welcome to add a custom link to their signature. Several folks have links to their own sites in their signatures.

And you already know that everyone is welcome here, regardless of your viewpoint. Trolling, personal attacks, name calling, etc., are against the Rules of Conduct that are agreed to upon registering. It doesn't go away after emotions flare up. This site was created to offer something others weren't at the time. That's all.

Ken Ibold said:
It was an OK day for flying here. A little hazy. A few isolated t-storms. A little bumpy down low. But my son and I got to the Tailwinds Cafe in Ocala before it closed, so that's something.
Yay Ken! You went flying in the Citabria? Did your son enjoy it? Does he like to take the controls yet?

I went up and did 8 hammerheads (or something that vaguely looked like hammerheads but at least weren't hammerslides or hammerspins or hammersnaps) right over the farm this morning. Lost another 3 quarts of oil all over the place. My cameraman is gone for awhile, so can't critique these on TV.

Left the Citabria outside in the grass this time so most of the drippy stuff went into the grass. Decided not to wash the Citabria anymore; just use a roll of paper towels every time instead.

wangmyers said:

I read it a couple of times. No need to go back.

When they re-opened the "red boards" I started reading....

...and then skimming....

...and now barely read them.

There is A WHOLE LOT of mis-information there and I really do not care for it. Hey, if Doc Bruce is over here too I'm all set! He is a big asset to this place (no not an @$$, an asset)

There are great people here and I agree with all of the above statements. The blue boards are for me.

I visit both. I ignore the posts and posters who do not act appropriately on AOPA.

Ben. I wouldn't take an anon comment seriously or allow it to change my preferences. The guy is probably jealous that you are a serious and proficient pilot thinking about moving up to renting twins. It may be that simple, but who cares?

I really like it here;

I did take a look over there but it is not a place for me.

As an older pilot who is new to internet formums I find POA is very helpful. I really appreciate it is a place where pilots and aviation enthusists can share their experiences with each other It is a great "Back Porch" to listen learn and help As one old pelican told me when I was a kid leaning is a life long proccess.

Thanks to all that make this a real nice Back Porch.

John J

Much more comradery here!! Feel like I know a lot of the folks here and act accordingly.

I occasionally peruse the other board when I have time (which seems to be less often). There are great posts and many not so great. Much more anonymous. Often see folks make opinionated posts without reading what's been posted before, which leads to them putting number 9 shoes in their mouth often.

Best,

Dave

I read both boards, and give my opinion on both.

I read both boards for entertainment,

Ben & Bruce,

It appears, for good reason, that you are quickly getting your fill of the red board. It is most unfortunate that neither place is a safe haven -- where one can post without fear of:

Brian Austin said:
...Trolling, personal attacks, name calling, etc., are against the Rules of Conduct that are agreed to upon registering. It doesn't go away after emotions flare up. This site was created to offer something others weren't at the time. That's all.

As some here know, I haven't been back to this board since June 9th. For basically the same reason that you are leaving the Red board.

If I read Brian's comments correctly, he is saying that while it is not 'allowed' here, it does happen. In fact, it was his comments that drove me off this board for almost 3 months. By the way, I'm not attacking Brian; just stating the facts. If the thread he attacked me in has not been deleted, it speaks for itself.

I'm beginning to think that no matter where you go, or what you write, there will be someone out there who attacks you -- for whatever reason they rationalize to be the 'correct' reason to make an exception to the rules and attack.

As to the anon who attacked you on the Red board, it looks to me like someone making a snap-judgment and trying to be a smarta**. I don't believe it about you; but I believe it about many pilots. I think he may have had an interesting point had he made it a discussion and not a snipe.

Bottom line: today is the first time I've even been back to read POA. We'll see how long it is before I'm attacked here.

cherokeeflyboy said:
I would condsider myself conservative and have felt very welcomed here.
Is that a jab at POA Joe?

I didn't think I was particularly subtle...

RobertGerace said:
Ben & Bruce,

It appears, for good reason, that you are quickly getting your fill of the red board. It is most unfortunate that neither place is a safe haven -- where one can post without fear of:

As some here know, I haven't been back to this board since June 9th. For basically the same reason that you are leaving the Red board.

If I read Brian's comments correctly, he is saying that while it is not 'allowed' here, it does happen. In fact, it was his comments that drove me off this board for almost 3 months. By the way, I'm not attacking Brian; just stating the facts. If the thread he attacked me in has not been deleted, it speaks for itself.

I'm beginning to think that no matter where you go, or what you write, there will be someone out there who attacks you -- for whatever reason they rationalize to be the 'correct' reason to make an exception to the rules and attack.

As to the anon who attacked you on the Red board, it looks to me like someone making a snap-judgment and trying to be a smarta**. I don't believe it about you; but I believe it about many pilots. I think he may have had an interesting point had he made it a discussion and not a snipe.

Bottom line: today is the first time I've even been back to read POA. We'll see how long it is before I'm attacked here.

One must remember, that a opinion or statement by one, is an attack to another.

Read for the entertainment, nothing more, nothing less, if you can make a rathional statement that others can learn by, do it, if others are disturbed by that ----------OH Well..

NC19143 said:
One must remember, that a opinion or statement by one, is an attack to another.

Read for the entertainment, nothing more, nothing less, if you can make a rathional statement that others can learn by, do it, if others are disturbed by that ----------OH Well..

A statement is a statement. But when it is accompanied by brutish overtones and incivility it is likely I won't remember what that statement was, even if it was something valuable to learn, but I will remember what a cad that person was/is. Developing a thicker skin--beyond the already thick skin--is tantamount to accommodating incivility and implys acceptance of the same.

I look forward to Robert's posts. Gerace has expressed real world concerns and I always learn from the dialog which follows. I really want to hear an update on his 310.

Richard said:
I really want to hear an update on his 310.

No you don't. Think $$$. But it is a sweet ride. :)

Frank Browne said:
I love the C310! Looks fast, chocked on the ramp!:yes:

And that's where most of them are, including two at my field that I haven't seen move in a year. Not everyone has the committment that Bob does.

Richard said:
I look forward to Robert's posts. Gerace has expressed real world concerns and I always learn from the dialog which follows. I really want to hear an update on his 310.

ME TOO

I hope you'll stay, Bob, because I'm not going back to red.

RobertGerace said:
Ben & Bruce,

. . .

bbchien said:
This one is a bunch of serious part-time aviatiors and a few professionals.
Grin :)

Doc,

I thought all pilots (even students like myself) were professionals. :)

Brook

HPNFlyGirl said:
Doc,

Brook

I did too once, but reality got me over it eventually, even though it still remains one of my popular and elusive fantasies...

Joe Williams said:
I didn't think I was particularly subtle...

I will try to be as subtle as possible.
If you are so dissatisfied with POA, why dont you just leave and stay gone.!

cherokeeflyboy said:
I will try to be as subtle as possible.
If you are so dissatisfied with POA, why dont you just leave and stay gone.!

Cause, I like seeing how you blue boarders think, I like watching libs like you proclaim yourselves conservatives, I enjoy watching you congratulate yourselves on how this is the board for "serious pilots" when most of the posts are non-aviation, and because ya'll have the bad manners to keep coming to AOPA, spamming this board, and telling us how bad that one is. Besides, every once in a blue moon, I might read something aviation related and useful, same reason I monitor other boards. It has, been a while, though, since that's happened. When the board owners want me gone, my user name will disappear.

Now, since ya'll are supposed to be all "civilized," I'm curious how you reconcile that with the rather rude nature of your post?

Bob Gerace;

I am glad you are here. I enjoy reading your posts on the 310. I got to learn multi engine flying in the Bamboo Bomber and then got to fly at 1960 310. Wow the 310's were and still are great. Keep posting for this pilot appreciates your experiences.

John J

HPNFlyGirl said:
Doc,

Brook

I remember the first time I checked onto an av webboard. The guys were fighting over the most trivial things. Soon after that I realized those guys were not the professionals I thought they were. The irony was it was Pprune.

Joe Williams said:
Cause, I like seeing how you blue boarders think, I like watching libs like you proclaim yourselves conservatives, I enjoy watching you congratulate yourselves on how this is the board for "serious pilots" when most of the posts are non-aviation, and because ya'll have the bad manners to keep coming to AOPA, spamming this board, and telling us how bad that one is. Besides, every once in a blue moon, I might read something aviation related and useful, same reason I monitor other boards. It has, been a while, though, since that's happened. When the board owners want me gone, my user name will disappear.

Now, since ya'll are supposed to be all "civilized," I'm curious how you reconcile that with the rather rude nature of your post?

Well, my response is to close this thread. Nothing usefull or even vaguely constructive is happening here. You're all free to start over but why? Joe, you haven't outright broken the published rules. KD I wish you hadn't. Let's not be responding to trolling.....

Last edited:
Since Joe is referring to me in this thread, and since I am now back from vacation, I am going to do two things:
1) Respond
2) Re-open the thread for comment

I'm doing #1 because Joe has decided to make an issue of it. I'm doing #2 because it isn't fair as an admin to reply to a closed thread and leave it closed disallowing response.

So, #1:
In response to Joe's comments I will say only this. The only posts of Joe's, or of anyone elses, that we've gotten involved in have been those that have engaged in conduct in violation of our rules of conduct. General "I don't like liberal politics" posts, when non specific in nature, have been just as allowed as "I don't like conservative politics" posts. I've had to issue very few reprimands, and for the most part the people who've been "reprimanded" have accepted it and refrained from further "crossing of the line". Most of those reprimands, by the way, have not been public, but don't assume that because you haven't seen them, they haven't happened.

I also will point out that yes, our members of the management council are human and do have hot-button topics of their own. Yes, I have taken one or two of them to task for getting a little too personally involved in those threads, and I've even closed a thread, or possibly two, in which one or more of our moderators has been involved because the thread has gotten too heated and needed some cooling off.

We disallow personal attacks, trolling, etc - and we have teeth behind the policy - but we don't flat out delete posts because people got a little riled up and we don't ban people because they cross the line now and then. We aren't running a military operation here - we allow for human nature - and every now and then you might even see me lose my cool with someone. None of us are perfect. If you're expecting us to be, sorry - wrong forum.

Now - finally, with regard to Joe's presence here.

Joe Williams has been, in the past, one of the most active and involved members of our community here. Just like every single one of you, as long as he continues to stay within the guidlines laid out by the rules of conduct, he will continue to be welcome. I don't care what his or anyone elses posts are like on any other forum. I don't care if he doesn't particularly like me or anyone else on the PoA Management Staff. He's entitled to his opnions, and I'm sure he feels his reasons are valid.

So this thread will not degrade into a "Joe Bashing" thread - whether you like him or not, he's just as much a member of this community as anyone else. I think everyone here should agree that it falls to the Management Council to decide whether to "uninvite" someone from these forums, so I'll thank everyone else to refrain from making such comments.

Finally - let us also refrain from an "us vs. them" mentality when it comes to other forums. PoA is very glad that AOPA has provided forums again, and wishes them the absolute best in their operation. New people to aviation have a much easier time finding AOPAs forums than they do finding PoA and that's extremely important to all of us. The best thing you can do for PoA, if you frequent both forums, is to simply be a good ambassador for both forums.

Ok - lecture over - lets all play nice now, I don't want to have to re-close this thread.

Thank you POA management for making this a great place to visit. So many forums out there are unmanaged, and typically degrade into 'the worst mankind has to offer one another'.
With this kind of leadership and devotion to the project, I will be staying a long time!

Let'sgoflying! said:
Thank you POA management for making this a great place to visit. So many forums out there are unmanaged, and typically degrade into 'the worst mankind has to offer one another'.
With this kind of leadership and devotion to the project, I will be staying a long time!

I join you in giving thanks

Management is great, I wish all boards were managed as well as this one.

Back