I flew to Gaston's today from DFW

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
On FS2004, that is... too stormy to do it for real. On the way, shot an ILS into KFSM (Fort Smith), went missed and did the NDB approach and the hold several times afterward. That NDB approach is interesting in that the NDB for the missed is different than the one for the approach--first time I've seen that anywhere.

Mountain Home really is close to Gaston's! Wow. Can't wait for the 9th.

On FS2004, that is... too stormy to do it for real. On the way, shot an ILS into KFSM (Fort Smith), went missed and did the NDB approach and the hold several times afterward. That NDB approach is interesting in that the NDB for the missed is different than the one for the approach--first time I've seen that anywhere.

Mountain Home really is close to Gaston's! Wow. Can't wait for the 9th.

So is Flippen. Both are almost just outside of the pattern for Gastons.

Downwind for Gastons is almost literally a straight in approach to Mountain Home!

And its almost literally upwind from Flippin!

You're right about both airports... do you have to try to coordinate your departure out of Gastons to not interfere with other traffic at those airports?

Those of you who remember 2005. I circled above, and circled above, and circled above, until the was clear space.

Be careful out there....!

Over the bluff and a left turn out for me to head home.

You're right about both airports... do you have to try to coordinate your departure out of Gastons to not interfere with other traffic at those airports?

Head on a swivel, but it's not that bad... normal patterns don't seem to interfere.

You'll get used to the general "swing" of things there, like losing the approach end of 24 on left downwind (hill), and flying between the trees on short final ("goalpost"). Most folks depart and, climb performance allowing, left turn toward the lake for ride and sightseeing; returning, you fly right down the top of the dam on Bull Shoals Lake as a sort of crosswind entry, calling position all the time (but crisply, as the frequency gets a little busy).

How do these look in FS, I am curious... can you post a screenshot or two?

Lots of patience, common sense, and remember: if Steve See says there's traffic, believe him!

Head on a swivel, but it's not that bad... normal patterns don't seem to interfere.

Yeah. There are 4 fields in close proximity (2 paved, 2 grass) but not THAT close that the patterns would overlap.

They are NOT so close as UNV and N96, where there's right-hand traffic for runway 25 at N96 'cuz otherwise the traffic on final for 24 at UNV would blow right through the pattern at N96! :eek:

i prefer a slight fake to the right on departure to stay over the river and be well clear of the hill before departing to the north. depends on your climb performance. chip and I were fine in the extra. 172 a gross was slightly different.

see you at gastons troy

How do these look in FS, I am curious... can you post a screenshot or two?

These are from FS2004, Spike. I have FSX as well, but don't use it much. I have a good PC, but need to upgrade before using FSX much. FS2004 just performs so much better, and I have a lot of MegaScenery packs too (not for Gastons area, though):

Attachments

• Gastons 10 oclock, BPK 1 oclock FS2004.jpg
    Gastons 10 oclock, BPK 1 oclock FS2004.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Gastons Downwind FS2004.jpg
    Gastons Downwind FS2004.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Gastons Turning Final.jpg
    Gastons Turning Final.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Crap!

They cut down all the trees. And built a freakin' office building on the tie-down area!

Thanks, Troy; you'll see it's a *little* different when you get there.

Crap!

They cut down all the trees. And built a freakin' office building on the tie-down area!

Thanks, Troy; you'll see it's a *little* different when you get there.

Yeah, what's really funny is the big concrete parking pad with fuel at the southwest corner of the field.

Also, I had always envisioned (in my mind) that Gastons' was on the SOUTH bank of the river... not!

Back