I flew through thunderstorms...NEVER AGAIN

Piper18O

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Piper18O
I have been debating to post this, but I guess it could serve as a learning tool for others. One change however is that the tools we all have are much different today than what was available to me back in the mid 1990's. My best friend and I had spent a week in Oshkosh at Airventure, and were preparing to depart on the last morning. I wanted to depart IFR, because with everyone trying to get out of there, I knew that IFR departures got priority. 'We were all packed and ready to go. I headed to the pay phone to get my briefing, and to file the flight plan. (yes, this was before widespread use of cell phones) The only weather of real concern on the entire route of flight from OSH to Kansas was some level 1's and 2's showers that were falling apart and dissipating, (as the controller said "probably not even hitting the ground any more" near Madison. After that, it was severe clear the rest of the way home. I filed the plan, we jumped in the plane, and started to taxi. Even with priority, it was still probably 25 minutes before we finally got to take off. We departed runway 27 and climbed to 6000 ft in the old Piper Cherokee. We were IMC at about 3500 agl, and it was pretty benign. I had no autopilot, but since I had never used one, I didn't know any different. I knew that my time in the soup was only going to be about 20 or 30 minutes, so I figured I would have no issues maintaining my scan for that amount of time. Everything was going fine until we got pretty close to Madison. It started getting kind of bumpy, (still IMC) and then shortly thereafter, all hell broke loose. We were getting thrown around like a rag doll, gaining and then losing 300-400 ft in a matter of seconds. Even though we were seat-belted in, we both hit our heads on the ceiling 2 or 3 times. Lightening flashed all around us intensely, and it was so close, at one point I was sure we had been struck. Our time in that cell was only about 3 or 4 minutes, but it seemed like an eternity. We emerged on the other side no worse for wear, but both of us had some serious cleaning to do of our pants, so to speak. I requested a frequency change to converse with flight watch, and it was granted. After giving our pilot report and asking what it was that we flew through, we were asked if we were aware of convective sigmet number xxx. I said no, we hadn't received that during the briefing or with tower or departure. Apparently the level 1 and 2 showers had unexpectedly intensified into level 4 and 5's. My question is why were we never notified? Was it because the frequencies were so jam packed busy that they never had time to notify us, or was it maybe because it had been issued while we were still on ground control and it was never forwarded to us. I know departure was very busy, but shouldn't they have told me about my impending doom prior to entering the cells? Just curious what others may think about the whole situation.

Last edited:
Considering how long ago that was and how much weather datalink has improved since then, it's kind of hard to answer that question.

Today, it seems we are constantly warned of any kind of cell, sometimes even ones you can almost see through. I really can't remember being so well notified back then, but I do remember being notified on bigger stuff from time to time back then.

After Scott Crossfield was killed by flying into a thunderstorm, ATC has been required to give weather advisories

Yeah, several years ago, 2000 I think, I was flying a C-210. I thought I was smart by going to the south of thunderstorms located right on the coast line of the Florida panhandle, Alabama and Mississippi, on my way to Baton Rouge.

I spent close to 30 minutes riding that bronco. ATC first gave me a 2000 foot block altitude, then changed it to 4000 feet. After a few minutes of that ATC changed to just do what you can on altitude and heading, let us know when you can do direct destination. I was at every attitude except totally inverted. I had my flight bag belted to the right seat, but had left it open. Everything inside my bag was flying around the cockpit. My keys finally caught on the temple of my glasses and stayed there beating my head until my headset and glasses flew off. I had large, abrupt changes in attitude and altitude, and large variations in airspeed. At times I had no control of the plane. It was all I could do to keep the wings level.

I was 99% sure that was going to be my last flight. I have no more luck left because I used it all on that leg.

I now have a very healthy respect for thunderstorms and keep my distance. So much fun flying canceled checks....

Yeah, several years ago, 2000 I think, I was flying a C-210. I thought I was smart by going to the south of thunderstorms located right on the coast line of the Florida panhandle, Alabama and Mississippi, on my way to Baton Rouge.

I spent close to 30 minutes riding that bronco. ATC first gave me a 2000 foot block altitude, then changed it to 4000 feet. After a few minutes of that ATC changed to just do what you can on altitude and heading, let us know when you can do direct destination. I was at every attitude except totally inverted. I had my flight bag belted to the right seat, but had left it open. Everything inside my bag was flying around the cockpit. My keys finally caught on the temple of my glasses and stayed there beating my head until my headset and glasses flew off. I had large, abrupt changes in attitude and altitude, and large variations in airspeed. At times I had no control of the plane. It was all I could do to keep the wings level.

I was 99% sure that was going to be my last flight. I have no more luck left because I used it all on that leg.

I now have a very healthy respect for thunderstorms and keep my distance. So much fun flying canceled checks....

Wow! I thought I had it bad, but my ordeal was only a few minutes! I can't imagine riding one out that long! Did you have to clean out your pants too?

My guess is 1) they were quite busy just keeping IFR flights separate and communicating, 2) back then the radars images were not as accurate with weather, or controllers were as adept(especially centers) 3) I do most my deviating on my own and seldom depend on center/approach. If I think it’s doable and center tells me otherwise, I will take their advice, but most often they were being more cautious, but I appreciated their help. I don’t usually fly real IFR when there is convective weather unless I can stay out of the clouds on top or below. The times I’ve flown in pretty bad weather, I would fly VFR to avoid embedded thunderstorms or icing just to use my eyeballs and flexibility. I will use stormscopes and radar to fly around large areas of convective weather, but never would I depend on center. I have used approach radar to guide me into class b airspace if they are not too busy and seem have everything under control, but even then, I’ve been told after landing, that a tornado had just touched down about a couple miles away(not by tower, but by the FBO). Pilot has two separate definitions, one is to fly the plane, the other to navigate, I will take all the help I can on the latter, but know that all instruments, pireps, controllers can not be depended on. Back in 1983(?) the Dallas flight into KDFW was following a LEAR jet, the Lear made it, the air liner did not. Yes, I’ve flown along and have hit my share of unexpected icing and turbulence, it has made me more cautious knowing it up to me alone, instruments, forecasts, controllers are not infallible.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back