I felt it for the first time today

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Yep--today was the first flight solo IFR with some solo IMC. I took the noble C182S up for a flight to Winchester, VA. I really finally felt a twinge of pride as I navigated on an IFR flight plan, by myself, and through (a tad of) IMC. For those of you who are working on the rating--keep going, the prize is waiting for you!

And what a plane to do it in! The beautiful Skylane. Wow. I have about 40 hours in it, but I just can't get over how good an instrument platform she is. Between the GPS and wonderful autopilot, you are looking pretty in the sky; and with the dignified and smooth (or "truck-like") response in slow flight, you are looking good for your landings. My landing at OKV was so good, I didn't believe it myself, so I did another. Yep, it was also good. I did three back at FDK--all good. You gan even get great landings, but it is hard to do bad ones.

Oh, and wow--the routing back from OKV was fun: MRB EMI FDK. Wha? I'd be passing right over Frederick? "You can request with next controller." Fine--I sure did, and got approved for direct, too.

Another fun thing taking off from OKV. Controller: "Void time THREE minutes from now--call me up if not off by then." No problem for me; I'd already done everything but take off. With just me and half tanks, I decided what the hell--let me practice a soft field takeoff, followed by a Vx climb. Well, at Vx, the VSI was pegged. I don't know how fast we were climbing! And at Vy I was still climbing at 1,400 FPM when I called the controller. When I checked in, he actually, truly said, "Oh! Good! OK, well, go ahead and fly the routing for now." He was impressed.

A great day!

Yep, it was also good. I did three back at FDK--all good. You gan even get great landings, but it is hard to do bad ones.

They sure are great planes and will land great too. You seem well past it but especially with full PAX the C182s are landed nose heavy often enough to show a distinct pattern (hard enough to crinkle the firewall- I guess it then qualifies as an accident vs. incident !)

It's usually when pilots move up from lighter planes that are lighter in the nose.

Congratulations, Ben! Isn't this flying thing just the most wonderful thing in the world? Especially in a Skylane? We are SO lucky.

Judy

Dave Krall CFII said:
It's usually when pilots move up from lighter planes that are lighter in the nose.

This is true. But again, I found that the C182 like many "heavier" singles has numbers which, when followed, make your life a lot easier. For example, if I'm alone with half tanks, I just want to have myself configured on final at 65 KIAS descending at 500 FPM. Flaps are full, MP is low, and RPM is at about 1500. Just before the flare, I smoothly pull power. The rest is cake!

Note: At max gross landing weight (2950, 150 lower than MTOW), I like 75 KIAS on final.

judypilot said:
Congratulations, Ben! Isn't this flying thing just the most wonderful thing in the world? Especially in a Skylane? We are SO lucky.

Judy

Yes, we are!

Back