I feel like a smacked A$$

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Let me start by telling you that I have two ways to drive to work the direct way and the way past the airport. The road past the airport is literally just off the departure end of 24 (6 Arrival) it so close that if you stood on the edge of the runway you could practically Pee on the road ( well assuming your a guy who dosen't have prostate problems you could). So today as I get to the decision point on the road as to which route I'm gonna take I see that the direct route has a detour sign up as they are doing road work. EASY choice. As I turn onto the road passing the airport I notice a beautiful and realativly new 182 sitting in the run up area at the arrival end of runway 6. Great I' think I'll get to see his roll. I even considered pulling off the side of the road to watch.
I decided to put my window down and listen to the engine as it was a balmy 45* out. I thought to myself WOW that engine sounds so beautiful so solid so smooth. As I approached the plane along the road way I saw something red flapping under the left wing. My route took me even closer to the plane Holy CRAP his pitot cover is still on. What do I do? I start honking my horn. Honking my horn at an airplane thats a first. Do I pull over and run the short distance to the plane waving my hands like a nut? Well there is now no where to pull over and cars behind me. I almost tried to dial in 123.00 on my car stereo... " Silver Mazda Melliniea calling Cessna 182 Arrival end of 6 @ Wings .... Doh! Ah my cell phone. I quick dial in the FBOs number I get the desk guy and say hey its Adam I'm at the road just off Six a 182 is doing a run up and has his pitot cover on can you radio him. FBO guy says are you sure it isn't maintinence. I said look there is a 182 doing run up with its Pitot cover on radio him its not maint.

So I make a left to the airport entrance ( work was to the right) and pull in. I run into line service the plane is still in the runup area at the end of the runway. Shoot no one there. I drive my car to the bottom of the lot thinking perhaps foolishly that I can flash him with my headlights if he didn't get the radio call and started his roll ( One would only hope that he wouldn't rotate w/s seeing a positive airspeed but since I have heard of folks taking off with gust locks on thier yokes one never knows)

Then I see him taxi back to the ramp. Sigh they did get him. Then I see him taxi up the ramp to the mx hanger, shut down and out jumps one of the A&Ps. The look at me like DUH we were just testing what ever it was we did under the cowl. I sheepishly apologize to the counter guy. Who chuckles like what are you getting all worked up about and tells me mx does their mx and test run ups down byt the runway. Makes sense so as not to fling dirt or debris near any of the parked planes.

I thought on the way to work what do I do next time Should I speak to the Mx guys and say hey if your just gonna do a test run up by the road take off the pitot covers so ya don't give anyone a coronary. Then again other than a pilot how many folks driving by would even know something was not right. Just b/c I know that mx does their test runups buy the road how do I know the next one I see with a pitot cover on is mx or just a poor pilot who had a brain fart. Do I suggest that they make it thier policy to take them off so the 4 pilots a day who may drive by this road don't freak? I'll bet this never happend before. I mean if I see it again how can I not call. Perhpas I will just carry my transciever in the car from now on. Seems kinda silly b/c now that I think of it the A&P didn't have a headset on that I could see so he probably didn'teven have the radios on. I guess if I do have my transceiver and radio him if he dosn't answer he is doing mx. I know I did the right thing I just feel a little stoopid.

I have to tell ya I felt like chicken little " the sky is falling the sky is falling"

Don't you just HATE it when that happens? :)

I drove past this Midas shop for about a week and eyeballed this motorhome in the parking lot with the roof vent cover standing wide open. Having ruined a floor in an RV once by getting rain in thru an open roof vent, I finally decided to pull in and tell someone "Hey - your roof vent is open." The guy says "Yeah, I know. It's broken and I've got plastic over the opening to keep out the rain." and gave me this "You doofus!" look.

Oh well, it's the thought that counts, right? Good job anyway, Adam!

well adam i would have reacted the same way i think , My theory is better safe then sorry
Dave G

The guys at my local shop say that this sort of thing happens to them all the time: Taxing out to the runup area, someone comes driving up, trying to wave them off, pitot cover still in place, etc. I kind of wonder why they don't just remove the darn thing to avoid the confusion. Probably, they would forget to put it back on and get in trouble with the owner for leaving it off. :dunno:

Good story, Adam!

While I won't suggest that a takeoff with the pitot cover on is a good thing, the chances are pretty good that the pilot will catch the dead airspeed indicator and abort. And if not, it's not the end of the world either.

About 6 months or so after I got my ASEL rating, I did some recurrent training and the CFI started covering up pitot/static instruments about 4 miles out from landing. He covered the ASI, altimeter, and VSI. He occasionally peeked under the covers, and told me after I landed that I was within 50' of pattern altitude and that my airspeeds were where they should be! If I can do it, anyone can ;)

Good call Adam. What if it was his pitot tube cover and not mx and something bad were to happen? You would probably feel a lot worse then eh?

Adam,

Given the same situation tomorrow yet knowing the facts of today, I'd do the same thing you did. Nice job.

It would have been solved quick enough if the FBO called the airplane WHILE you were on the phone. Just remember "No good deed goes unpunished.". Mx should just pull the cover. They do it enough, they won't forget to put it back on.

I said this on AOPA - regardless, don't you do the thorough preflight, period? that way you don't forget it when it's important. you wouldn't leave the cowling covers on would you?

AdamZ said:
I know I did the right thing I just feel a little stoopid.

I'd rather feel stoopid than remorse knowing I could have saved someone. Besides, you now have some good karma headed your way!

IF I were you I wouldn't feel stupid and would do the same thing tomorrow. What did it hurt? Good call as far as I'm concerned.

I've taxied out behind one of the Wal-Mart Lear Jets several times when the covers are on. I always call them or the tower to make sure they're doing maintenance. They always have been, but who knows next time?

Chip

Good job, Adam. I would have done the same thing. So we feel a little stupid afterward, but so what? We can all use a little humility now and then. But keep up the good work anyway!

terry

better to feel stupid (or sheepish) than to feel guilty.

I once heard a pilot in the pattern (who I couldn't see) with this loud beeping behind him in the background whenever he made a call. He said he was a twin practicing a single engine approach and landing. As he called final with the beeping still going, I said "is that beeping related to your engine or is your gear still up?"

Next transmission was "Thanks so much", with no beeping in the background. What happened is that during the previous single engine approach and missed, the student had raised the gear on the missed (good, but he didn't "announce" it), but they both forgot that fact, and had tuned out the beeping in their concentration to fly the missed.

I'd wrestled for about 20 seconds before asking the question, since we all try to respect each other and the right of the PIC to command. But being wrong when you butt in only hurts your feelings. Being right and keeping your mouth shut will hurt your soul.

I hope that when I get distracted someday that somebody butts in and saves mine.

Best wishes,

no need to feel "stoopid," you did the right thing. maybe you should get a hand held and keep it in the plane just in case you see this again?

Assuming they were listening to the radio.

I once told a Gulfstream that was taxiing by that they has liquid coming out the belly. They said, "Thanks but we're just draining our sink." :rolleyes:

Everskyward said:
I once told a Gulfstream that was taxiing by that they has liquid coming out the belly. They said, "Thanks but we're just draining our sink." :rolleyes:

Draining their sink, that is so cool. Reminds me of the movie Joe Dirt when he thought he found a meteor. I thought I was cool this week because I finally upgraded to a helicopter with windshield wipers. Next upgrade will be to a helicopter with wheels too, wooohooo!

But to reply to the original post, good call. And to repeat everyone else, I would have done the same thing as well.

When I was youger I was on a commercial flight, over the wing. All during the taxi I noticed the ailerons were at the stops, in a right turn. I nudged my boss, and said something like "that doesn't look good". He mumbled something and went back to reading.

I actually knew so little about flight at that point, I thought we would roll to the right on takeoff and crash. I was glad I didn't press the call button for the flight attendent.

To this day I chuckle to myself when I taxi in a crosswind:dunno:

HPNFlyGirl said:
Good call Adam. What if it was his pitot tube cover and not mx and something bad were to happen? You would probably feel a lot worse then eh?

A few weeks ago one landed with the towbar attached. Happens about twice a year.

tom. said:
A few weeks ago one landed with the towbar attached. Happens about twice a year.

So....what happens when a plane lands with the towbar attached?

A few yrs ago in Canada I had just filled up and unloaded the bags, pitot cover on and was going to push to the tie down a few feet away. The ap mgr came by and offered me a distant hangar which I jumped at. Not long after I started up, and was going to taxi over and a big bald guy jumped in front of the airplane and crossed his arms, maybe 10 ft from the spinning prop, pointed at the cover and then recrossed his arms. I was trying to signal 'taxi...to... hangar' but what is the signal for that. I knew he couldn't hear me on the fbo external speaker that close to the engine. Then, he closed his eyes! as if, No Way am I getting past unless I actually run him over!
It was no big deal, I shut down and we staightened things out but I'd never run into that before and decided from then on to try never to even start up with the cover on because of the hazard it posed.
:)

Rod Machado tells the story about the shop that taxied a Skyhawk out to the runup area with ONE WING missing.

Think THAT would get your attention?

He has the tower calling the plane to ask if anything might be missing.

SkyHog said:

If you grease it, nothing.

If you come in hard or bounce it, the tow bar could swing up and take out the prop (depending on tow bar and airplane).

Missa

Nothing?

The towbar usually connects to a point above the wheel on the spar, right? mount? leg?

In flight the towbar would therefore hang down over the front wheel.

So if you touched down and there were some crack in the pavement that the wheel could roll over, but the handle of the towbar couldn't - then it seems to me that the towbar could catch on that crack.

When I was young, I stupidly stuck my feet in the spokes of my bikes front wheel, while it was moving. The wheel rotated until my feet caught between the spokes and the fork, and then the wheel stopped, and the bike rotated forward, around the axle, taking me over the handlebars.

Somehow I picture something like this happening with the towbar.

(Ok more likely it would shear the metal on the towbar and overstress the front strut...)

One a few years ago didn't get off the ground. The bar somehow caught on the pavement and collasped the nose gear. The there was the twin that tried it and the gear doors jambed on the bar. I don't want to ever try it. I did leave it on once after somebody interupted my pull out. Actually got in the plane before I remembered enough to check.

On a 172 with wheel pants the tow bar will rest on the wheel pant and is mostly parallel to the ground.

If you grease the landing nothing will happen. I speak from experience. It's my never again moment.

On my LONG XC solo the plane was repositioned by my instructor and I didn't notice he didn't remove the tow bar. He drove around the plane twice as I took my time orgnizing my things for the flight, and never noticed it. I took of and noticed the rudder had a real wobbly feel but hadn’t a clue why. I hit the breaks a few times because if the rudder pedals wobble like that right after take off it’s because the wheel is still spinning, it had no effect. Eveything else appeared to be fine so I didn't pay any more attention to it. At Big Rapids I had one of my most perfect landings to date, I was so proud! I had never greased one as well as I did that one. I decided to get out and I nearly fainted when I saw the tow bar. I took it off, put it in the back, checked the prop for nicks, freaked for a little while, clamed down and finished the trip.

It was classic when I got back to the airport… I let my instructor search the hanger for a bit till he was frustrated and asked where the tow bar was. "In the baggage compartment… I can PROVE I greased that landing at Big Rapids because it was on when I landed and there was no prop damage." Then it was his turn to freak for a little bit.

Missa

Last edited:
Wow, Missa, Great story!

But I guess in part that also depends on the towbar.

Our club 172 has towbars that are spaced to attach to the wheel, not the strut. In that situation, the towbar can't rest on the wheel or the pant (if present), but then again, in that situation, the bar would be knocked backwards during landing, probably banging very loudly against the underside of the nose, scaring the **** out of all on board.

Greebo said:
But I guess in part that also depends on the towbar.

Our club 172 has towbars that are spaced to attach to the wheel, not the strut.

Yep, it's defiantly tow bar and aircraft dependent. I know on a warrior you can't get off the ground with the tow bar on. I interrupted Dave on preflight once, it's makes a nasty noise when the prop hits it. Lucky again, no prop damage and we had a lovely flight.

And now I ALWAYS check for the tow bar several time before getting in.

Missa

Greebo said:
When I was young, I stupidly stuck my feet in the spokes of my bikes front wheel, while it was moving. The wheel rotated until my feet caught between the spokes and the fork, and then the wheel stopped, and the bike rotated forward, around the axle, taking me over the handlebars.

Oh wow that explains a lot Chuck:rofl:

SkyHog said:

Towbar swings back behind front wheel and drags on the ground after landing. In flight I would guess it would just hang down and back.

Takeoff would be the scary part, if the towbar was in front of the wheel (like it is when you pull the plane out) and hits a big crack.

I always put mine in my hangar before takeoff. Someday I'm gonna need it when I go somewhere and not have it.

Adam, you did the right thing.

My story was when watching a Citation take fuel and then look like he was gonna' taxi out from the ramp. Just as the pilot was closing the airstairs I got his attention and said his gear pins were still in. He gave me one of those, mind your own business you idiot, stares. As I was walking away feeling shat upon he stuck his head out the door and said the pins are for refueling and he was only closing the door because it was so hot outside.

FYI, if you need to get the pilot's attention, don't walk in front. Please don't do that. Rock the wings or stand off to one side. I nearly ran over a guy (a pilot too) who ran over to tell me my door was still cracked open as I taxied for departure.

Chuck, I put my bare toes in the spokes too. Didn't everyone? I know a guy who did that and the spoke sliced through his foot between the toes about 2-3".

Missa said:
On a 172 with wheel pants the tow bar will rest on the wheel pant and is mostly parallel to the ground.

My mom managed to use the prop to remove the towbar on her 182 once, all it takes is a tiny little bump. The prop was repairable (I think this was before engine teardowns were required for minor prop strikes like this), but the towbar was totaled.

I make it a practice to never leave the towbar attached to the plane unless the plane is in the hangar or my hand is on the towbar. This makes it far less likely that I will ever forget to remove it before taxiing or taking off.

Richard said:
...the pins are for refueling...

I wouldn't feel bad Richard. I've fueled more Citations than I can count and I've never had to insert gear pins prior to fueling or even been asked to. That guy sounds like a jerk. Which begs the question, who does he think he is? I've come across quite a few business pilots who think they are all that. Who cares? Sure you get to fly a state of the art aircraft, but does that really make you the sh*t? Now don't misunderstand me here, nearly all the pilots I've met, from ultralights to jumbo-jets, have been more than kind and enjoy sharing their experiences with whomever, but there seems to be a few bad apples in the bunch. I say, if you hate your job that much, then get out of the way and let someone else have a shot.

One guy particular comes to mind. I was working at an FBO and we had a Falcon 50 that was for sale. This rich snob came flying in with his Astra jet to test fly the Falcon. He couldn't have been more rude if he tried, although I wouldn't put it past him. Just thought the entire world revolved around him. Anyway, I just got so upset that a guy who gets to fly all over the country in a private jet doesn't have an ounce of happiness in his heart. Maybe I caught him on a bad day, but he returned a few weeks later to see the Falcon again, and his attitude was exactly the same. I think all of his days are bad days. I asked him if he liked flying the Astra and his response was this: "It's just another airplane. The only thing that excites me is when lesbians are on Springer." I can do without meeting that guy ever again. It floors me to see a pilot that doesn't love to fly. SAD.

tom. said:
Towbar swings back behind front wheel and drags on the ground after landing. In flight I would guess it would just hang down and back.

Takeoff would be the scary part, if the towbar was in front of the wheel (like it is when you pull the plane out) and hits a big crack.

I always put mine in my hangar before takeoff. Someday I'm gonna need it when I go somewhere and not have it.

I have two, one that stay in the plane cargo compartment and another that is for hanger use. That way I never forget it.

If you insist on leaving the towbar on the nosewheel, take the keys out of your pocket and loop the fob ring on the handle. Or just set them next to it. Can't leave without the keys. Same with tying your dog to the bumper, if you absolutely have to pull this, please hook your keys to the dog.

Don't Feel Bad !!

One day sitting at 44N doing my run up , see a cessna taxi over and on to R W 17 , I happen to notice his left main tire is flat , so i give him a shout , cessna taking R W 17 your left main is flat .. His reply .. I KNOW ... and starts his take off run and and off he was ... here i am thinking i am helping this guy ... WOW!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back